Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

My friend Dave Seminara, who recently released a tennis travelogue book called Footsteps of Federer, got to interview Roger last week and wrote a piece for the NY Times and a blog post with stuff that didn't make the article:

NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/08/trav ... urism.html
Blog: https://daveseminara.com/roger-federers ... ork-times/

Dave got a phone call last week from his contact at the Swiss Tourism board, and the woman said, "Roger can talk to you now." Total surprise. Dave dropped what he was doing and jumped on a Zoom with Roger, who was 100% engaged and relaxed (shocker) for 30 minutes. Roger just began serving as an official spokesperson for Swiss Tourism, and he's doing it for free. That's why he did the interview. More prominently, this commercial with Robert Deniro. (Not Roger's house)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I had seen the commercial. It is fun.
My sole issue is: how many people can afford a vacation in Switzerland? I would love to go there and ski some of their trails, but there is no way I could afford it. On the other hand, maybe it is not more expensive than France.
Goes in the Bucket List.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:50 pm I had seen the commercial. It is fun.
My sole issue is: how many people can afford a vacation in Switzerland? I would love to go there and ski some of their trails, but there is no way I could afford it. On the other hand, maybe it is not more expensive than France.
Goes in the Bucket List.
Can you stay with Suliso? :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Maybe he will let me use the stable... ;)
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Switzerland is expensive, but not really more so than Scandinavia or California Bay area. Even better if you plan ahead and look for some deals.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:17 pm Switzerland is expensive, but not really more so than Scandinavia or California Bay area. Even better if you plan ahead and look for some deals.
Dave and Roger both said that the restaurants are tennis clubs tend to be really good and among the more affordable options in Switzerland. And they're public.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

We were talking about playing on clay vs hard courts the other day. Here's a great player still working on her skills on the surface. With a guest appearance by Chip. :lol:

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I guess Tiriac has been taking misogny lessons from Nastase. I guess when you are rich enough, you get away with a lot. What a nickname for Richard.

And props to Serena for not taking the bait.

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Tiriac and Nastase go way back as friends, of course...
Connors was part of their little gang, as well.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dmforever wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:45 am I guess Tiriac has been taking misogny lessons from Nastase. I guess when you are rich enough, you get away with a lot. What a nickname for Richard.

And props to Serena for not taking the bait.

Kevin
The lessons for misogyny were perhaps taken together. Those two go back a very long way.
I don't think Tiriac is misogynist. He is simply a person on the border line of moral. His stories from way back were always questionable and his sole purpose in life is to make money, and money only for himself. I don't think he hates women, he simply hates all people that are of no use to him.
I would never put him in the "good people" category.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

He mentions the tortellini but not Pamela.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

"Masha is Back" posted this on the WTA fan site we all know.
In an Instagram Story published in late February, an ex-boyfriend alleged that Yastremska’s father had asked him to “take the blame” by testifying that he had transferred the banned substance into her body through sexual intercourse.

Responding to an Instagram follower who asked why he and Yastresmka had split, the ex-boyfriend replied “I will only answer this question once. And for the last time.”

He then went on to allege that when she tested positive for a banned steroid, her father “asked me to take the blame and [say] the doping was transmitted through sex. I did it. I did blood tests, wrote a statement, all for free, even though he offered me money. But then he told me that I have to have my hair tested.”

It seems that the alleged request for a hair test was the point at which the ex-boyfriend declined to co-operate further. The post continued as follows. “Then I got my car from her, which was broken on the inside … All I want to say on the subject: you don't have to pass your doping on to me.”

As usual in an Instagram Story, the ex-boyfriend’s post was only visible for 24 hours and did not cause much of a stir among his followers. But his claims are explosive.
Apparently the man involved is a boxer named Danya Galitskiy.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »