Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
mick1303 Ukraine

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by mick1303 »

I found an analyst on Youtube - Gill Gross. I'm very impressed - the guy is articulate without unnecessary dramatics, extremely knowledgeable, watches the matches with an attention of a hawk, finding tiniest but important details - and overall this is IMO as close to ideal tennis observer as could be. Check him out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:34 pm Nope :D . QUE SORPRESA (if you want to say WHAT A SURPRISE). Or ME SORPRENDE, if it is I AM SURPRISED.
You should date a Spanish speaking person, I am telling you :P Fastest way to learn a language (they call it "a blanket with ears" here in Colombia).
That was the idea, my friend. I was supposed to be fluent by now. You know my husband is Mexican, right? We have been married 18 years. We actually met in a Spanish class - an informal one with friends, where I was the only one even trying to learn anything. When we started dating, I bought a book of Spanish idioms and tried some out. Turns out, they aren't very accurate, at least not in Mexican Spanish. i thought i was saying, "Don't start what you can't finish," but it was more like, "Leave on a horse and return on a donkey."
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I know your husband is Mexican; you have mentioned it. That was the reason I was joking about finding a "spanish speaking boyfriend". You sort of already have one, for life ;)
Our idioms are like in English. The ones that work in Mexico will not work in Venezuela, and may be offensive somewhere else. And vice versa. You know, cookies in the USA, biscuits in England.
You still have time. Simple trick: tell your husband to talk to you in Spanish. EVERY TIME. You can answer back in English, but that way you get the hang of hearing the language. Of course, he has to slow down at the beginning, but that should be no problem.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 pm You still have time. Simple trick: tell your husband to talk to you in Spanish. EVERY TIME. You can answer back in English, but that way you get the hang of hearing the language. Of course, he has to slow down at the beginning, but that should be no problem.
We've tried this and always give up pretty fast. :) I need to take an extended trip to Mexico and stay with his family. One of these days.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

It seems that media got a hunch from tennis powers to promote Berrettini, because of his looks and possible profitability for the tour. It kind of reminds of infamous attempts to promote "Big 4" with Murray. Berrettini does not have results yet to be mentioned along with Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Medvedev just separated from the pack, a little bit, because he won a slam. That is the sole difference.
Berrettinni has one slam final appearance, as many as the other two. So, if you "need" a big four, indeed you have to include him there (even if he is the Ringo of the group) because nobody, of the new litter, has that sort of credential.
Until Thiem comes back and gets back in the conversation. But he is the sort of "in between" guy.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

According to several reports, the USO WOMEN'S final had much better rating than the men's.
Let me see. A final between two unseeded, relatively obscure teenagers draws more audience than a final between the # 1 and #2 players, one of them always in the GOAT conversation and going for a calendar year Grand Slam.
Uhm
(I know. The men's final was going against first week of the NFL, but still. This does not happen all the time).
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:18 pm According to several reports, the USO WOMEN'S final had much better rating than the men's.
Let me see. A final between two unseeded, relatively obscure teenagers draws more audience than a final between the # 1 and #2 players, one of them always in the GOAT conversation and going for a calendar year Grand Slam.
Uhm
(I know. The men's final was going against first week of the NFL, but still. This does not happen all the time).
US or global audience?
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:12 pm Medvedev just separated from the pack, a little bit, because he won a slam. That is the sole difference.
Berrettinni has one slam final appearance, as many as the other two. So, if you "need" a big four, indeed you have to include him there (even if he is the Ringo of the group) because nobody, of the new litter, has that sort of credential.
Until Thiem comes back and gets back in the conversation. But he is the sort of "in between" guy.
I beg to differ. It is far from "the sole difference". Each of Zverev, Medvedev and Tsitsipas has masters titles and YEC to his credit. In case of Zverev and Medvedev - multiple masters. This is significant. Especialy YEC title.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Who would you include in a new big four, taking Berrettinni out? Shapo, Felix, Sinner? Somebody else?
The sole difference I was mentioning was between Medvedev and Zverev/Tsisipas. As you say, those three have MS1000 titles, but Daniil now has one slam, and two other finals. He is a little bit "better".
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:11 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:18 pm According to several reports, the USO WOMEN'S final had much better rating than the men's.
Uhm
US or global audience?
I think US.
In England and Canada, it must have been the same but for good reasons.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Uhm
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:18 pm Who would you include in a new big four, taking Berrettinni out? Shapo, Felix, Sinner? Somebody else?
The sole difference I was mentioning was between Medvedev and Zverev/Tsisipas. As you say, those three have MS1000 titles, but Daniil now has one slam, and two other finals. He is a little bit "better".
If you insist that we shall have "big four" no matter what )) Then yes - out of active players - Berrettini. But if we believe that Thiem will return in full force - then of course he is the guy. But my point was in the new "big four" Berrettini would be quite a distant 4th from the other 3.

For instance take career win percentage:
M - 68.23
Z - 67.99
T - 66.91
B - 64.12

You can see that the differences between the first three are much smaller than their distance from Berrettini.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

None of them are big just yet. Just a single Slam is nowhere near enough.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Uhm
According to Ben Rothenberg the women's final has outdrawn the men's (in USA) for 5 of the last 7 years.
they have also outdrawn in the semi's, every year 2015-2020, despite those always being against the season opening NFL game.