TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 pm ...

Me neither, and I work for a radio company. :) But in the smaller publishing division. And that's why I haven't had a raise in 15 years - because hardly anyone listens to the radio anymore. I wouldn't say it's a dying business but it has to reinvent itself.
I hadn't thought of that. Indeed, originally radio was to listen to music but how can you compete with streaming services for which kids pay to listen to anything all the time? And the same generation that gets its news from FB?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:33 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 pm ...

Me neither, and I work for a radio company. :) But in the smaller publishing division. And that's why I haven't had a raise in 15 years - because hardly anyone listens to the radio anymore. I wouldn't say it's a dying business but it has to reinvent itself.
I hadn't thought of that. Indeed, originally radio was to listen to music but how can you compete with streaming services for which kids pay to listen to anything all the time? And the same generation that gets its news from FB?
Wish I had the answer. Maybe I'd be making a lot more money. :) Someone listens to the radio because our top DJ in LA, Big Boi, went to a competitor a few years ago and it was a massive hit to our business. So radio is still enough of a thing to complicate my life. :)

There's a ton of news and talk on the radio, too. Lots of drive time still. Our founder/CEO led the charge to get the radio chip in our cell phones turned on. Everyone's phone has one, but it isn't activated in the US. It is in other countries. That could have been a game-changer. People could have streamed over radio waves instead of using their data. He hitched the concept to the Emergency Broadcast System, too - in an emergency, satellites might be jammed, but you could still get news and communicate over the radio and access it on your phone. We started a company called Next Radio and got most of the phone makers to turn on the chip but I don't know if we ever got Apple to do it. And we needed Apple. I think the company just didn't work out for whatever reason. It seemed like a good idea, but maybe it wasn't marketable. Or maybe we failed. I don't know.

A lot of radio stations have done well engaging their audiences online with content.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Another tell on my age.

I try to listen to the all news radio station here in NYC once a day. there's a lot of local news the aggregators and on line news outlets miss. I also find radio very relaxing.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:11 pm Another tell on my age.

I try to listen to the all news radio station here in NYC once a day. there's a lot of local news the aggregators and on line news outlets miss. I also find radio very relaxing.
I listen to 1010 WINS when I'm in the area, it's great. It's the sister station to 1060 KYW here. Traffic and news, a great way to stay informed. I listen to it for at least a few minutes most times I'm in the car, but sometimes just stay on the channel.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:06 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:11 pm Another tell on my age.

I listen to 1010 WINS when I'm in the area, it's great. It's the sister station to 1060 KYW here. Traffic and news, a great way to stay informed. I listen to it for at least a few minutes most times I'm in the car, but sometimes just stay on the channel.
That's the station! 22 minutes and we give you the whole world! :)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Ugo Humbert with his mom

the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:14 pm Ugo Humbert with his mom

His mom is Diane von Furstenberg?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

the Moz wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:54 pm
JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:14 pm Ugo Humbert with his mom

His mom is Diane von Furstenberg?
I got a little Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:45 pm ...

I got a little Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham.
She should be so lucky.
Don't you dare mess with Annie Savoy! DON'T!!!
:evil:
(Total crush with that woman throughout her entire career, and Annie was the perfect dream INTELLIGENT girl) ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Alexander Dolgopolov has retired.
A fun player to watch. I don't know what he could do related to tennis. I would not hire him as a coach with the insane game he played and the suspect strategies, and I don't know if he could even be a good hitting partner. Being Ukranian I wonder how much potential as an analyst or commentator can he have.
On the other hand: he reached #13 and won Cincy. Much more than a lot of other players.
I wish him well. He was truly different.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Being different reminds me of Fabrice Santoro. Wonder what is he doing now.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Santoro has been doing commentating and he was a beloved figure in France, so he had it made already. Dolgo being Ukranian has a much smaller market. But yes, as you say, the "different" label can cut both ways. I don't know if Santoro would be a good coach, and that may cut some opportunities.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm Being different reminds me of Fabrice Santoro. Wonder what is he doing now.
Wonder what Fabrice is doing now or Alexandr? If Fabrice, he does tennis coverage on whatever the main tennis channels are in France. And when RG rolls around, look for him to do some of the on-court interviews.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:13 pm Alexander Dolgopolov has retired.
A fun player to watch. I don't know what he could do related to tennis. I would not hire him as a coach with the insane game he played and the suspect strategies, and I don't know if he could even be a good hitting partner. Being Ukranian I wonder how much potential as an analyst or commentator can he have.
On the other hand: he reached #13 and won Cincy. Much more than a lot of other players.
I wish him well. He was truly different.
Yes, he was fun to watch. He's in the group - with Arazi and Rios and a few others - of players who had tremendous natural ability, but who could never unlock their enormous potential in anything resembling a consistent manner. These players were very creative, because they could hit any shot from anywhere on the court. And because they had so many options available to them, they would too often choose a next to impossible shot - ergo the criticisms of their on-court strategy.
Shapovalov could end up belonging to that group of flashy, naturally talented players who never fulfilled their potential if he doesn't put a more consistent game together.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:21 pm Santoro has been doing commentating and he was a beloved figure in France, so he had it made already. Dolgo being Ukranian has a much smaller market. But yes, as you say, the "different" label can cut both ways. I don't know if Santoro would be a good coach, and that may cut some opportunities.
If Dolgo's English or whatever language broadcast he'd be on is good enough, he's not limited to Ukraine's market. A much less famous Ukrainian player does regular English language commentary right now. If she can, he should walk into it with no issues if that's what he wants.

Not sure Fabrice is coaching anyone now, but almost positive he was coaching Raonic for a bit a couple of years ago. But Milos has as many coaches as he does injuries.