C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by JazzNU »

I don't mind him speaking his mind at all about the injuries and the like. Don't even mind the general talk of the bubble despite the ill-conceived and even worse executed Adria Tour. It's the "I'm waiting for answers" like he's waiting to tell "his players" the updates and speaking for players with the "majority don't want to move ahead." It's like he's still in charge of something and speaking for players after polling them. I completely get he has a powerful voice, but he also publicly ditched the ATP, so I don't get him now thinking he's still the head of anything.

Post by JazzNU »

Zverev talked about the bubble idea at his press conference. And specifically said he talked with Novak and with Vasek Pospisil. So it legitimately seems like these guys broke off, started their failed association during a pandemic, flailed out, and even though they aren't part of the ATP Player's Council, they are going around acting as if they are. I don't get it. And I'd have a hard time believing those are the right two speaking on player's behalf with the ATP.

I know others are working behind the scenes. There were comments before about Novak not being the only one doing something about players' concerns, he's just the one who feels the need to go public with it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So basically: coupsters.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Do we know that the player association failed for sure? I think they're still trying to make it happen and that's what we are seeing. Not saying it's working, but I think this is what Djokovic is trying to position
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Marrakech has been cancelled
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:11 pm Do we know that the player association failed for sure? I think they're still trying to make it happen and that's what we are seeing. Not saying it's working, but I think this is what Djokovic is trying to position
I'm not quite sure if has stalled or pretty much dead. Didn't Novak and Vasek both try to get their positions back on the Players Council? That would suggest that they aren't going forward with the PTPA at the moment. But I don't know for sure. I doubt it's 100% dead. They seem pretty convinced that it's the right thing to do. I like the idea of a union for all players.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That was the idea for the ATP. It was, and sort of still is, an union. But along the way, power was transferred to other entities that also have a say in the sport.
To me the question remains the same: what is the difference between this PTPA and the ATP? What does it bring to the players that the ATP can't?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:51 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:11 pm Do we know that the player association failed for sure? I think they're still trying to make it happen and that's what we are seeing. Not saying it's working, but I think this is what Djokovic is trying to position
I'm not quite sure if has stalled or pretty much dead. Didn't Novak and Vasek both try to get their positions back on the Players Council? That would suggest that they aren't going forward with the PTPA at the moment. But I don't know for sure. I doubt it's 100% dead. They seem pretty convinced that it's the right thing to do. I like the idea of a union for all players.
To my memory, when they tried to get back on the Player Council, one of them suggested they'd be doing both because the PTPA wasn't an opposition to the ATP. Who knows.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:59 pm That was the idea for the ATP. It was, and sort of still is, an union. But along the way, power was transferred to other entities that also have a say in the sport.
To me the question remains the same: what is the difference between this PTPA and the ATP? What does it bring to the players that the ATP can't?
I don't think the players can have the leverage they need or want within the ATP while the organization also represents tournaments. And there might be technical/contractual levers that make it difficult that we aren't aware of. That's my understanding, even if I don't have the details - that even if it could work theoretically, it just doesn't, and maybe can't, because of the ATP's rules or power structure.

Generally, it's not a great idea for labor and management to be sibilngs.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Translated from Spanish by Google
Guido Pella covid positive. Tell me about being unlucky.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Post moved to the appropriate thread.
Last edited by JazzNU on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:19 pm It should be in the Tournament and Tour announcements thread :)
Didn't even know we had that thread! Thanks
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

With Conchita coming down with C19, does that put Garbiñe in some watch list?

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:57 pm With Conchita coming down with C19, does that put Garbiñe in some watch list?

Highly unlikely. Garbine has been back in Geneva for almost 2 weeks, so they likely weren't together since Melbourne. From Conchita's message it sounds as if she was tested in Spain prior to leaving for Doha and tested negative. But upon arrival, the test conducted in Doha was positive. That's my read of it. And given that Garbine was out practicing today, I think it's safe to say she's not considered a close contact in need of immediate quarantine.