C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ti-amie »

Times of London has a paywall.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As I predicted over a year ago, Tsitsipas is definitely headed toward 'Djokovic 2.0' territory in terms of his behaviour.
They are similar, and I think they will be viewed with a similar perspective.... even the behaviour of their fathers is similar.

I have no idea if Djokovic was an idol of Tsitsipas's growing up - but if so, that might explain part of it.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. So the answer is NO.
Ban. Them. All. By Saturday.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:20 pm Ok. So the answer is NO.
Ban. Them. All. By Saturday.
Much as I want to see him complete the Slam...yeah. I have to agree with you. Effffing idiots the both of them.

Kevin
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The thing about Djokovic that pisses me off mightily is his influence. In tennis, in his country. STFU man. Even if he didn't want to take it personally, would it honestly kill him to answer "all the medical, scientific, and public health experts have said the vaccines are safe to take and will get us out of this pandemic and I have no reason to doubt what they say, they know what they are talking about. But feel free to ask me how to hit a tennis ball, that's what I'm an expert on."

It wouldn't be a yes, but it'd be a hell of a lot better than what he said.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The article, where the quote below comes from, says the following:
Translated from French by Google
Contact case of his trainer, Gilles Simon, who is not yet vaccinated, is fixed for the US Open and isolated for ten days in his hotel room in New York: "It was perhaps my last US Open. "

Quentin Moynet @QuentinMoynet
Replying to
@QuentinMoynet
Gilles Simon sur la vaccination : "À la base, je n'avais vraiment pas envie. Je n'ai pas très peur du Covid. Ma philosophie de base, c'est : "Si tu en as peur, tu te vaccines, sinon, non" (...) Je fais partie de ceux qui ont un peu traîné les pieds et qui finiront par le faire."
Gilles Simon on vaccination: "Basically, I really did not want to. I am not very afraid of the Covid. My basic philosophy is:" If you are afraid of it, you vaccinate, otherwise , no"(...) I am one of those who dragged their feet a bit and who will eventually do so. "
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, I'm so sorry for you, Giles. I really...
nah.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:17 pm

Contact case of his trainer, Gilles Simon, who is not yet vaccinated, is fixed for the US Open and isolated for ten days in his hotel room in New York: "It was perhaps my last US Open. "

Quentin Moynet @QuentinMoynet
Replying to
@QuentinMoynet
Gilles Simon sur la vaccination : "À la base, je n'avais vraiment pas envie. Je n'ai pas très peur du Covid. Ma philosophie de base, c'est : "Si tu en as peur, tu te vaccines, sinon, non" (...) Je fais partie de ceux qui ont un peu traîné les pieds et qui finiront par le faire."
Gilles Simon on vaccination: "Basically, I really did not want to. I am not very afraid of the Covid. My basic philosophy is:" If you are afraid of it, you vaccinate, otherwise , no"(...) I am one of those who dragged their feet a bit and who will eventually do so. "
"and basically I don't give an F if I give it to someone either. I won't know if they get sick anyway. "

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I posted this in the US Open general thread but thought it could go here as well.

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

This is making me not want to follow men's tennis. I didn't know so many of them weren't vaccinated.

Unlike the nine players who met with the media in that spot a day earlier, Murray chose to keep his mask on. And unlike roughly half the other men who will be taking the court when the year’s last Grand Slam tournament begins Monday, Murray has been vaccinated against COVID-19.

And thank you Andy. Once again, you are the voice of sanity.

“I feel like I’m enjoying kind of a fairly normal life, whereas for the players that haven’t, it’s different. I’m sure they’ll be frustrated with that. Ultimately, I guess the reason why all of us are getting vaccinated is to look out for the wider public. We have a responsibility as players that are traveling across the world to look out for everyone else, as well,” Murray said. “I’m happy that I’m vaccinated. I’m hoping that more players choose to have it in the coming months.”

https://apnews.com/article/novak-djokov ... b2b5a68621

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

See Gilles Simon's comments above. Add them to Stef's and Djokovic's comments and the deafening silence from most players male and female and it seems Murray is in the minority re his views on the virus. That is really sad.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

One thing that surprises me. Simon has been open, in the past, that by now he plays tennis for the money. He is honest about the fact that he really has no chances of a major trophy.
So, for a player that plays for the money, his anti-vaxx stance just cost him $75K. Not a very smart business decision (on top of all the other dumb aspects of such a choice).
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:17 pm
Just a slight correction to the above...
"Contact case of his trainer, Gilles Simon, who is not yet vaccinated, has been forfeited out of the US Open and isolated for ten days in his hotel room in New York: "It was perhaps my last US Open."

I think part of the reason, sadly, that we're hearing more male players than female say that they're not vaccinated is because of the 'macho' factor.
Males in general want to show how 'tough' they are - and some feel that this is a way of doing that; that they are so 'tough' that they don't need the protection of the vaccine. They're proud of it.
They seem to not realize that, in trying to show how 'tough' they are, they're also showing how stupid and selfish they are.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

The article DMForever posted above says that on both tours, only about 50% are vaccinated.