WTA 500 Charleston 4/5 - 4/11 2021

To talk about both tours
JTContinental United States of America

Re: WTA 500 Charleston 4/5 - 4/11 2021

Post by JTContinental »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:00 pm Elise Mertens did everything but win the first set vs Cornet losing it 5-7.
The joys of playing against Cornet
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm At 18 years old, you're not tired after a week's rest after winning your first WTA title.
She didn't play very well today. It's all about the serve - or the service toss, specifically. That's the leak in the dam, and things spiraled from that. She got away with it yesterday, because her opponent wasn't competitive. But today, there was a better opponent on the other side of the net, which made things more difficult. Then the frustration came, and snowballed... and ultimately took over.
She could have been mentally and/or emotionally drained, if not somewhat physically. Neither of us knows how she feels, but we know that part of adjusting to the pros is building up a tolerance to play more, and more consistently, at higher levels. I'm willing to bet that her poor level these last couple days had something to do with being a little burned out or emotionally up and down after the first title. Maybe not, but I would have asked her after the match if I were in the press corps.

Post by JTContinental »

OMG when Lindsay mentioned it, I had to check, and indeed one of the featured matches tomorrow night is Emma Navarro playing doubles.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm At 18 years old, you're not tired after a week's rest after winning your first WTA title.
She didn't play very well today. It's all about the serve - or the service toss, specifically. That's the leak in the dam, and things spiraled from that. She got away with it yesterday, because her opponent wasn't competitive. But today, there was a better opponent on the other side of the net, which made things more difficult. Then the frustration came, and snowballed... and ultimately took over.
She could have been mentally and/or emotionally drained, if not somewhat physically. Neither of us knows how she feels, but we know that part of adjusting to the pros is building up a tolerance to play more, and more consistently, at higher levels. I'm willing to bet that her poor level these last couple days had something to do with being a little burned out or emotionally up and down after the first title. Maybe not, but I would have asked her after the match if I were in the press corps.
I would have asked her what's going on with her service toss!
No... I wouldn't have asked that in the press room. But I would have asked her privately.

It's unfortunate that she had to play qualifying in Miami right after (literally less than 24 hours after) winning in Monterrey. But I know her mentality well enough to feel confident in saying that she brushed off that qualifying loss pretty quick. She values family very much, and was quite likely relieved more than anything to be able to relax at home with family and enjoy her Monterrey victory for a week with little interruption.
Today's loss will be harder for her to brush off than the qualifying loss in Miami, for sure. But she likes to say that every loss gives her more motivation to learn from it and be stronger the next time. And I've had no reason to doubt that yet.

Regarding Navarro being a featured match tomorrow night in doubles... Not a big deal. There are no fans - so it's not like people will be disappointed. Plus, having her on the court will bring her friends and family out to watch, which adds atmosphere that even the opponents will likely appreciate. It's better than silence.
Last edited by Deuce on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
~ Henry Thoreau

Post by JTContinental »

Seeing Sloane play for the first time in a bit--she's really upped her fitness game. I guess maybe she cares about tennis after all.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I think Sloane is motivated for and enjoying this match because she's playing a longtime rival and good friend. Not to mention that it brings back memories of her US Open win.

The real question is whether she keeps this level of motivation and enjoyment beyond this tournament or not.
Only time will tell...
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
~ Henry Thoreau

Post by JTContinental »

"Sofia Kenin's current garbage level of tennis is a wonderful reminder that we are all human." --Ted Robinson, synopsized
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 am "Sofia Kenin's current garbage level of tennis is a wonderful reminder that we are all human." --Ted Robinson, synopsized
Ted Robinson said this? That statement deserves a "whoa".
Clowns to the left of me Jokers to the right. Here I am stuck in the middle with y'all
Apologies to the late John Lennon

Post by JTContinental »

He was more long winded and poetic than me, although the back half of that quote is verbatim. I half expected him to tell us that perhaps the friends she made along the way was the grand slam all along.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Day 6 Order of Play

Althea Gibson

Starts at 11:00 AM

ESP G. Muguruza (6) vs KAZ Y. Putintseva (11)
UPCOMING
MNE D. Kovinic vs CZE P. Kvitova (3)
UPCOMING
USA C. Gauff (14)
vs USA L. Davis
FOLLOWED BY
AUS A. Tomljanovic vs TBD
NOT BEFORE 7PM
AUS A. Barty (1)
vs TBD
UPCOMING
Quarterfinal
USA C. Dolehide/USA E. Navarro vs CAN G. Dabrowski/USA A. Muhammad

Court 1

JPN K. Nara vs RUS V. Kudermetova (15)
UPCOMING
FRA A. Cornet vs TUN O. Jabeur (12)
UPCOMING
USA C. McNally vs ESP P. Badosa
UPCOMING
Quarterfinal
USA N. Melichar/NED D. Schuurs (1) vs TUN O. Jabeur/RUS A. Potapova
Clowns to the left of me Jokers to the right. Here I am stuck in the middle with y'all
Apologies to the late John Lennon
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Nice to see Nara through to this point. Watched her as a Junior - tiny 5-foot-nothing spunky kid with good energy and nice attitude.

Leylah would have played Kvitova if she had won today. At Roland Garros last fall, Leylah was up 5-1 in the 1st set on Kvitova - before losing in straight sets.
~ Henry Thoreau
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:52 am Ted Robinson said this? That statement deserves a "whoa".

Been surprised how sharp the criticism is of Kenin's 2021 play given the discovery of the acute appendicitis, the surgery, and the recovery that surely included no practicing for at least a few weeks. I'm not sure what to think of how little regard has been shown for what happened. Outside of Chanda and Lindsay, I can't recall many cutting her a break.

Post by JTContinental »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 am Day 6 Order of Play

Althea Gibson

ESP G. Muguruza (6) vs KAZ Y. Putintseva (11)

NOT BEFORE 7PM
AUS A. Barty (1)
vs TBD
UPCOMING
Quarterfinal
USA C. Dolehide/USA E. Navarro vs CAN G. Dabrowski/USA A. Muhammad
:?: :shock:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Well, that was bizarre all the way around. Unfortunate timing of injury of course, don't think Shelby wins this match any other way without that interrupting and ultimately distracting Anisimova off her game to the point of completely falling apart unfortunately. She was completely in the zone until that injury occurred.

And a rule broken in a way I can't recall happening before.

I hope Amanda has seen a therapist in the last year and a half. And if not, hopefully a sports psychologist. Not that her injury wasn't a major issue here in the second set, but by the third, she was in her head too much seeming to be able to work around it for the most part. Not the first time she's fallen apart like this on court, it's unfortunate.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Thanks for all the talk of Leylah having the service toss yips. I was able to make a few dollars as a result, since she was favoured in her match