National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

When somebody punches you in the face, you are in a fight, regardless of whether you reply or not, regardless of whether you say you are in a fight or not.
It would be so refreshing for Biden to simply go out and say it. The USA is at war with Russia because Russia keeps attacking you. And if they were able to perform this attack on a pipeline, you can start guessing what further damage they can inflict.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:34 pm When somebody punches you in the face, you are in a fight, regardless of whether you reply or not, regardless of whether you say you are in a fight or not.
It would be so refreshing for Biden to simply go out and say it. The USA is at war with Russia because Russia keeps attacking you. And if they were able to perform this attack on a pipeline, you can start guessing what further damage they can inflict.
I would also say what that person above said: when the other guy was in office a lot of safeguards were done away with. There were a lot of pundits who said that an attack like this on US infrastructure - oil and gas pipelines as well as electrical grids, could happen. And here we are.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Interesting exchange at a presser held by American Airlines. I don't know what all of the abbreviations mean. DFW = Dallas/Fort Worth. BOS = Boston.

˜”*° JonNYC °*”˜
@xJonNYC
Replying to
@xJonNYC
saw a comment on one of the blogs or wherever saying this isn't "legal" -- nothing illegal about pulling fuel off and aircraft, it's done everyday, if an aircraft was over-fueled they'll remove fuel, goes back on fueling truck
8:02 PM · May 10, 2021·Twitter Web App

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

William Evanina
@BillEvanina
CEO of The Evanina Group // Former Director of the National Counterintelligence and Security Center (NCSC) // Candid transparency and integrity!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would go further. Every company should have, at a minimum, a contract with a cybersecurity expert whose sole job should be to try to hack you and identify vulnerabilities.
Since starting this forum, I have been studying a lot. PHP comes in with many vulnerabilities identified and some simple coding to ensure no break-ins. But since there are over 200 PHP commands, good luck knowing them all.
Just as an example: this is the code I had to write to make sure any input string is "sanitized":

global $inv_chars ; $inv_chars = array("$", "%", "#", "|", "thanks", "txs", "please", "pls", "for me", "edit", "edit", ":", ",", "Edit", "Edit ", "Edit:", "(", ")", "'", "`");

That creates a list of invalid characters. And then:
$post_text = filter_var(str_replace($inv_chars, "", $post['post_text']), FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING, FILTER_FLAG_STRIP_HIGH);

Why? Because dave was smart enough to write one post in which all he did was to insert an apostrophe: " ' ". That crashed the parser.
And dave is a friend. Imagine somebody really trying to shut down your site.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:34 pm When somebody punches you in the face, you are in a fight, regardless of whether you reply or not, regardless of whether you say you are in a fight or not.
Besides being refreshing, what else would it accomplish? Why risk potential escalation and give Putin more public attention when there is little geopolitical gain? IMHO would be a very cheap and dangerous move to boost domestic approval rating.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:52 pm Interesting exchange at a presser held by American Airlines. I don't know what all of the abbreviations mean. DFW = Dallas/Fort Worth. BOS = Boston.

˜”*° JonNYC °*”˜
@xJonNYC
Replying to
@xJonNYC
saw a comment on one of the blogs or wherever saying this isn't "legal" -- nothing illegal about pulling fuel off and aircraft, it's done everyday, if an aircraft was over-fueled they'll remove fuel, goes back on fueling truck
8:02 PM · May 10, 2021·Twitter Web App
CLT is Charlotte, NC
HNL = Honolulu
LHR = London Heathrow
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

So much for defunding the police idea...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/nyre ... e=Homepage
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 am ...

Besides being refreshing, what else would it accomplish? Why risk potential escalation and give Putin more public attention when there is little geopolitical gain? IMHO would be a very cheap and dangerous move to boost domestic approval rating.
It would let companies know that working with Russia can lead to problems, not from the USA govt but from Russian entities. It would allow the same companies to take precautions.
For example, there is no way anybody can convince me that Kazpersky, which has become a major player in the AntiVirus industry, is not a producer of viruses. I have tested it next to Norton and McAffee and the results are very odd. That is, I suspect, how they operate.
Also, you are not risking potential escalation because the escalation is happening. That is now bullies work: if you do not punch back, they keep bullying you. If this administration does nothing, Russia will continue its attacks.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 am ...

It would let companies know that working with Russia can lead to problems, not from the USA govt but from Russian entities. It would allow the same companies to take precautions.
For example, there is no way anybody can convince me that Kazpersky, which has become a major player in the AntiVirus industry, is not a producer of viruses. I have tested it next to Norton and McAffee and the results are very odd. That is, I suspect, how they operate.
Also, you are not risking potential escalation because the escalation is happening. That is now bullies work: if you do not punch back, they keep bullying you. If this administration does nothing, Russia will continue its attacks.
I didn't say do nothing. I said, don't declare a world war. Increase sanctions, continue adding people and organizations to the Magnitsky list, hack back.

Trust me, international companies operating in Russia or working with the Russian market are very very well aware and have been since they opened operations in Russia. No news here.

And the US government has already flagged Kaspersky Lab for spyware, back in 2017. Its product s banned from use anywhere n the federal government.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I guess we are not reading each other well. I did not say declare world war, just declare that Russia is working against the well being of the USA.
I did not know that Kaspersky had been caught with the spyware issue. I still wonder how people trust them with their Anti-Virus.
Also, and this just came to my mind: remember all the Trumpists with their T-shirts reading "I would rather be a communist than a democrat" (communist being code for Russian)? Maybe a few would change their mind.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:33 pm I guess we are not reading each other well. I did not say declare world war, just declare that Russia is working against the well being of the USA.
I did not know that Kaspersky had been caught with the spyware issue. I still wonder how people trust them with their Anti-Virus.
Also, and this just came to my mind: remember all the Trumpists with their T-shirts reading "I would rather be a communist than a democrat" (communist being code for Russian)? Maybe a few would change their mind.

"The USA is at war with Russia because Russia keeps attacking you" :)

(Yes, I fast forwarded to World war because that's what would be risked here).

I didn't know communist was code for Russian. Russia hasn't been communist (officially AND unofficially) for 30 years. Either way, not sure we want a bunch of motivated militant Trumpists runnng around...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I thought that for old timer GOP's, commie rat meant Russian and/or Russian sympathizer.
Again, I believe we are in semantics. Saying "The USA is at war with Russia because Russia keeps attacking you" is not declaring war. Is saying, in a clear display of adulthood, "They started".
Changing countries, it is the same situation as with Venezuela. Venezuela is at war with the USA, because the Vennie government will do anything it can to hurt the USA's interests. In that case, it matters little because that is a mouse picking up a fight with a Rottweiler, but the relation is far from cordial.
In the case of Russia, I guess we are clear there.
Off Topic
The adulthood part is a joke

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »