Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kafka could not come up with this.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Andrew Cuomo announced he will step down as Governor of New York State in two weeks. I've said here many times that as Governor, especially during Covid, he's done a great job. As a person, I think he's found out that when you've made everyone dislike you there is no one to have your back.

I don't know anything about Lt Gov Hochul except that she is from the Buffalo area.
Jeff from TX United States of America

Post by Jeff from TX »

Looking at one of Amie's post's here and came across this story in following up on it. Fascinating and a bit frightening but not really surprising:
Deceased GOP Strategist's Daughter Makes Files Public That Republicans Wanted Sealed
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/05/78567220 ... wanted-sea
It seems like time is going backwards towards 1984 . . . :freaking:
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:00 pm Andrew Cuomo announced he will step down as Governor of New York State in two weeks. I've said here many times that as Governor, especially during Covid, he's done a great job. As a person, I think he's found out that when you've made everyone dislike you there is no one to have your back.

I don't know anything about Lt Gov Hochul except that she is from the Buffalo area.
Still, a pretty surprising development to me that he went voluntarily. I really thought he'd just agree to not run for reelection and eek out his term.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:01 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:00 pm Andrew Cuomo announced he will step down as Governor of New York State in two weeks. I've said here many times that as Governor, especially during Covid, he's done a great job. As a person, I think he's found out that when you've made everyone dislike you there is no one to have your back.

Still, a pretty surprising development to me that he went voluntarily. I really thought he'd just agree to not run for reelection and eek out his term.
He doesn't strike you as that person who, when told the sun doesn't rise and set on their head, will storm out saying "you'll see"? A lot can happen in two weeks.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Cuomo's statement, though, is alarming for a different set of reasons than the usual. His argument, basically, is that society changed the rules. Well, yeah, Dufus. The "rules" have evolved because of predators like YOU who are convinced they are entitled to women. And more and more women aren't tolerating it anymore and are speaking out. Be a decent human being who respects women, and then you won't have these problems anymore.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:37 pm

He doesn't strike you as that person who, when told the sun doesn't rise and set on their head, will storm out saying "you'll see"? A lot can happen in two weeks.
Ah, you think this is, "I'll prove to you everything will break down without me and then I'll just run again." Perhaps.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:01 am
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Ah, you think this is, "I'll prove to you everything will break down without me and then I'll just run again." Perhaps.
I really don't know. I just saw the following exchange on Twitter.

JMHO but there is no way James or AOC carry upstate NY and I think that is the key to whatever happens. AOC? Really?

If all Cuomo did was hug women or say stuff to them how does that compare with the former guy's alleged assaults?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Oh, for sure Hochul or another "establishment" person will get elected... if James is nominated, the Republican would win (if GOP is smart about their nominee). I can't imagine AOC getting anywhere near that race.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:23 am Oh, for sure Hochul or another "establishment" person will get elected... if James is nominated, the Republican would win (if GOP is smart about their nominee). I can't imagine AOC getting anywhere near that race.
So called progressives are still smarting from that Nina Turner loss and they're desperate for one of them to win something big. AOC would be a fool to chase after the governorship of NYS in my opinion but I think progressives will be trying to put someone in that race with name recognition. Unless Cuomo is found to be the victim of a witch hunt like Al Franken and runs again...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:28 am ...

So called progressives are still smarting from that Nina Turner loss and they're desperate for one of them to win something big. AOC would be a fool to chase after the governorship of NYS in my opinion but I think progressives will be trying to put someone in that race with name recognition. Unless Cuomo is found to be the victim of a witch hunt like Al Franken and runs again...
I have been quiet about this subject because I care very little about NYC (because NYC will always do well). Also, this is one topic that I find hard to write about, as it is very complex and I feel you need pages to make your point.
But: is that a possibility? Another case of the DEMS being holier than the pope? I always felt they lost more than they gained when Franken was driven out.
So some comments from you New Yorkers would be welcomed.
(I am also staying away from the news, so right now I am only relying on TAT2 for information).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Kirsten Gillibrand, the Junior Senator from New York, played a major role in forcing Franken to resign. She's been very, very, very quiet this time.

The other issue bubbling under the surface here is Italian culture. Cuomo mentioned it during his initial remarks and then dropped it but I'm seeing references to it on the bird app. It's a difficult subject for obvious reasons but it is, for many, a valid point of reference. When I was working Italian men were known to be very touchy-feely. It wasn't seen as harassment of any kind. I'm not in the workplace now and at least publicly things seem to have changed and what was once acceptable, part of "how it was" isn't anymore. Because I'm not in the game now I can't speak to it but Cuomo is in his 60's now and maybe he should've been more aware of the cultural shift? I don't know. The fact remains he didn't rape anyone to my knowledge and if the most he did was hug people, double cheek kiss, and put his hands on people's shoulders compared to what Tiny is alleged to have done this is nothing. Not to mention Gaetz and what Jim Jordan is said to have ignored.

If the allegations stay where they are I don't know. He would have the cojones to run again.