Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm Including how many off-branches? That is indeed insane if they are first cousins. But if he is counting the 23&ME ones, may be more sensible.
First cousins only! Also 7 siblings and I forgot how many nieces and nephews.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:59 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm Including how many off-branches? That is indeed insane if they are first cousins. But if he is counting the 23&ME ones, may be more sensible.
First cousins only! Also 7 siblings and I forgot how many nieces and nephews.
It's a lot but not crazy-big. My husband is one of 6 and I am one of 7. If we all had 3-4 kids, it would be about the same. I love the large family except I can't remember who's getting along at any given point.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm Work friend just mentioned that he has 39 cousins. Crazy...
Doesn't seem crazy to me. I'm guessing you're not used to big families.

I've never counted how many first cousins my dad has, it's not remotely common in black families to do the first, second, third cousin thing. But it's more than 39. It happens when your dad is one of 12.
sokol United States of America

Post by sokol »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm Work friend just mentioned that he has 39 cousins. Crazy...
My kids have 35 first cousins ;)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

sokol wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:14 pm
My kids have 35 first cousins ;)
So you and your partner come from big families?
sokol United States of America

Post by sokol »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm So you and your partner come from big families?
My husband comes from a big family ;) , they have only 2 from my side
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Profanity warning.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok, I know that was staged but still :rofl: :rofl:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
eusebius Canada

Post by eusebius »

My ex’s dad is the oldest of 21 children. My ex has first cousins in the three digits...
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:24 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a joke.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

One of the small culture shocks I experienced moving to America is the number of families with 3+ children.

Growing up in the USSR, there was only one family I knew with 3 children except some mixed families (i.e. second marriages with two kids from each first marriage or where later marriage/relationship resulted in small kids once first marriage kids were teens/adults).

I have 3 first cousins. There is only one person within my extended family with more than 2 kids (they have 3). You have to go back to my oldest uncle's generation to find another example (he's the youngest of his 3 siblings at 76).

I think the key factors are:
1. Women's rights - women went to work and had access to relatively decent quality OB/GYN care earlier in the USSR than certainly in the US + women not seen as baby machines;
2. Lack of religion - marriage not seen as just a vehicle for procreation
3. WWII - in those generations where numerous children were common, some of the parents and the children were wiped out. So, it just wasn't common to see families with many kids, or they were struggling to survive with a single mother - little incentive to follow such examples.
4. Wealth and real estate - I'm sure there's going to be correlation between number of children and whether one lives in an urban environment vs suburban/rural. Most American cities have a suburban lifestyle even within the city limits. Most of the Russian population live an urban lifestyle even in the city suburbs. That means smaller apartments vs larger houses, no/fewer/smaller cars, etc.

I'm sure this applies to most of Europe.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:51 pm One of the small culture shocks I experienced moving to America is the number of families with 3+ children.

Growing up in the USSR, there was only one family I knew with 3 children except some mixed families (i.e. second marriages with two kids from each first marriage or where later marriage/relationship resulted in small kids once first marriage kids were teens/adults).

I have 3 first cousins. There is only one person within my extended family with more than 2 kids (they have 3). You have to go back to my oldest uncle's generation to find another example (he's the youngest of his 3 siblings at 76).

I think the key factors are:
1. Women's rights - women went to work and had access to relatively decent quality OB/GYN care earlier in the USSR than certainly in the US + women not seen as baby machines;
2. Lack of religion - marriage not seen as just a vehicle for procreation
3. WWII - in those generations where numerous children were common, some of the parents and the children were wiped out. So, it just wasn't common to see families with many kids, or they were struggling to survive with a single mother - little incentive to follow such examples.
4. Wealth and real estate - I'm sure there's going to be correlation between number of children and whether one lives in an urban environment vs suburban/rural. Most American cities have a suburban lifestyle even within the city limits. Most of the Russian population live an urban lifestyle even in the city suburbs. That means smaller apartments vs larger houses, no/fewer/smaller cars, etc.

I'm sure this applies to most of Europe.
It does, but nevertheless I have nine first cousins without anyone having more than 3 kids in my parents or grandparents generation. The next generation is less "productive" though. Those nine cousins together have only 16 kids of their own, with maybe 1-2 extra still possible in the future.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cosmic coincidence.
Just finished reading an article about how the population in Russia is declining. It is down to 146MM, with some models even saying it will be down into the 135MM range in about 20 years.
I have also read (forgot were) that in the USA the population growth is fueled solely by immigration and immigrants having children. The reason is simple: finances. As we said further above, having a child nowadays involves a complex and expensive financial situation. For the vast majority, it means two incomes as the older model of working-dad/stay-at-home-mom seldom works (ignoring here the social issues of working women and equal salaries). So in Russia (this article says), the same situation is showing up. Fewer and fewer jobs, state-run companies that are collapsing with the consequential unemployment and therefore more couples deciding that no children is the way.
Add that Russia is not a friendly place for immigration (I can assume the language barrier is a tough one to hurdle over to begin with) and yes, families with more than 2 children are not in vogue right now.
It will be a very different world in 50 years. And I am not sure if I would even want to be around to see it (I won't).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem