The World of Style & Entertainment

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by ti-amie »

Gérard Depardieu charged with rape and sexual assault
French star is being investigated over an incident with a female actor at his Paris home in 2018

Gérard Depardieu is free but under judicial supervision. Photograph: Tiziana Fabi/AFP/Getty Images

The French actor Gérard Depardieu has been charged with rape and sexual assault, allegedly committed in 2018 against an actor in her 20s, a judicial source told AFP on Tuesday.

An initial investigation into the rape accusations against Depardieu, 72, was dropped in 2019 for lack of evidence but reopened last summer, leading to criminal charges filed in December, the source said.

The actor accuses Depardieu of having raped and assaulted her at his Paris home in August 2018.

Depardieu’s lawyer, Hervé Temime, told AFP that Depardieu, who is free but under judicial supervision, “completely rejects the accusations”.

According to a source close to the case, Depardieu is a friend of the woman’s family.

Some reports have suggested Depardieu and the actor were rehearsing a scene of a theatre play, but the source said “there was nothing professional about the encounter”.

The woman’s lawyer, Élodie Tuaillon-Hibon, told AFP that she hoped her client’s “private sphere will be respected” as the case unfolds.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/f ... 1614107230
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

This man should have been locked up years ago for various transgressions.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Welcome to the world of sneakerheads. What do you say to your mother after you get her fired? My bad?

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Here's a great follow-up piece from Slate on Sneakergate:

The Absurd Nike Scandal That Has Sneakerheads Losing Their Minds

According to reports by Cowen Research, the sneaker resale market could reach $30 billion by 2030. “Flipping” sneakers—buying them at retail prices, or below retail prices in some cases, and reselling them at a higher price—has been big business for years. Those willing to put in the time, research, and legwork can see large profits quickly thanks to social media and growing digital marketplaces like StockX and GOAT, which are tailored specifically to the trade.

These schemes naturally attract many young hopefuls. Consider, for instance, 19-year-old entrepreneur Joe Hebert, or “West Coast Joe,” as his sneakerhead buddies almost certainly do not really call him. On Feb. 25, Bloomberg Businessweek published a lush profile on him and his budding sneaker-resale business, West Coast Streetwear. “Anything that’s releasing that I know I can make a guaranteed buck on, I’m gonna go full into,” he told writer Joshua Hunt. “That’s just my style.”

Hebert’s “style,” it seems, is also talking a lot. Most sneaker flippers do not draw undue attention to their methods, competitive as the market has become. But Hebert’s Instagram flaunts his incredible deadstock hauls, or large quantities of brand-new, unworn footwear. There are piles of Air Jordans, the most popular sneaker to resell—they fetch $50 to $100 each in profit on the low end. There are walls of Adidas Yeezy Boosts, the signature model of soon-to-be-divorced Wyoming resident Kanye West. Hebert poses in many of these shots with his face obscured, suggesting he knew at least a little that this wasn’t the smartest idea.

Nevertheless, Hebert had no problem showing off his craft for Hunt, the reporter. The Bloomberg piece features a lively GIF of Hebert and a crony sloppily loading boxes upon boxes of sneakers and apparel into the back of a U-Haul truck as part of a multistate tour of Nike outlets last year, before he returned to his home state of Oregon, where he rents a warehouse to store his score. He lives in Portland, where Nike and Adidas run their U.S. businesses. “If you know the right people here, this is the city to sell shoes,” he told Bloomberg. “Plugs,” or connections who can assist you in obtaining hard-to-find inventory, are key when it comes to this game. And most savvy, seasoned resellers don’t reveal those sources—ever.

Hebert, it will soon be clear, is not one of the most savvy, seasoned resellers. You see, at one point, he called Hunt from a phone number “identified as belonging to” Ann Hebert. Hunt looked up the name. It turned out there was an Ann Hebert who had worked for 25 years at Nike, most recently as its vice president and general manager for North America. In showing off, Joe Hebert had also shared his American Express corporate card statement with the reporter; that, too, was in Ann Hebert’s name. As the Bloomberg piece went on:

When I asked Hebert about the connection later that year, he acknowledged that Ann was his mother and said that, while she’d inspired him as a businessperson, she was so high up at Nike as to be removed from what he does, and that he’d never received inside information such as discount codes from her. He insisted, though, that she not be mentioned in the article and cut off contact not long after our conversation.

The “right people,” huh, Joe?

Sneakerheads did not much notice this incredible self-own at first, but others did. On Monday, Nike announced that Ann Hebert, a 25-year veteran employee, would be “stepping down” from the senior leadership role she held for less than a year. Might that have to do with the fact that West Coast Streetwear’s corporate credit card is in Ann’s name? Or maybe it was Joe Hebert’s Discord group, in which he charged $250 a month for information on “what sneakers would be discounted, when and where the sale would begin, and how many the retailer would have”? It’s unclear to what extent Ann Hebert was directly involved in her son’s lucrative endeavors, but it appears to have been enough to end her Nike career.

The fallout for Joe has been even more humiliating. Ann’s firing, paired with Bloomberg’s previous reporting, has led all of sneaker culture—from the most casual enthusiasts to diehard sneakerheads—to lose their minds. Joe’s Instagram, with all those cool-kid warehouse shots, has become a site for ritualized dunking on him. “Yo mama should trade u for a pair of Js,” one comment reads. “Goofy got caught up,” another says, appending several cry-laughing emoji. The joy and pain is currently spread across several platforms.

https://twitter.com/russbengtson/status ... andal.html

For its part, Nike has probably grown tired of the drama it has endured in this relatively young year. It was already, for example, dealing with allegations from mid-February that the popular Orlando, Florida–based sneaker boutique Trophy Room was “backdooring”—or secretly selling sneakers above retail price before the official release date—large quantities of very limited-edition Air Jordan 1s. The shoes could only be purchased at that particular boutique.

Trophy Room was founded in 2016 by one Marcus Jordan. He is the second-oldest child of the shoe’s namesake, Michael Jordan.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It took Ann Hebert 25 years to get to a senior leadership role. It took her son weeks to get her fired. I swear if he was my son he'd be living with relatives. I hope she got severance and a pension.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Who gives a family member use of their corporate card? She is certainly not just a victim in this.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MJ2004 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:43 pm Who gives a family member use of their corporate card? She is certainly not innocent in this.
I think that's why they fired her. The young jerk has probably used it before for other things and who knows how she accounted for his purchases with Nike. When I had a corporate card the rules were if for any reason you used it for a personal expense you had to pay it yourself. That may be what was happening here.

And yes I'm trying to see a way to frame it so that she wasn't involved in the situation.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wasn't one of them...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Things more important that watching rich people complain about their lives:
Shower
Scratch belly
Sudoku
Sleep
(It's a long list)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Rich people complaining about their lives? Not suggesting you care about Harry and Megan, but this has much wider ranging implications than just this one couple if you're missing that aspect of this story.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

re: the couple that professes they wanted privacy and then courts publicity all the time?

To be honest...I didn't watch it...but it's practically impossible to avoid seeing bits of it today if you hit any news sites at all.

Are there underlying kernels of truth there? Yeah.

Is "their truth" the whole truth? No, of course not.

Will we ever know the whole truth? No, of course not.

Are there things she said that I do not "buy"? Yes, yes there are.

Am I tired of hearing about them? Yes. A big fat yes.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If what the show "The Crown" is showing about what happened to Diana is even 80% true Harry's reaction and his estrangement from his father makes perfect sense.

I didn't watch it but like you said it's hard to avoid and I think that what I saw of the Diana/Charles/Camilla situation in that show is the basis for everything that has happened to Meghan.
It also pays to look back at Wallis Simpson and her treatment at the hands of the British royals.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:49 am re: the couple that professes they wanted privacy and then courts publicity all the time?

To be honest...I didn't watch it...but it's practically impossible to avoid seeing bits of it today if you hit any news sites at all.

Are there underlying kernels of truth there? Yeah.

Is "their truth" the whole truth? No, of course not.

Will we ever know the whole truth? No, of course not.

Are there things she said that I do not "buy"? Yes, yes there are.

Am I tired of hearing about them? Yes. A big fat yes.
Meghan's ethnic origin for sure don't improve the situation, but still I see constant attention grabbing just like Diana. Some people have an innate talent in being on tabloid front pages and it's hard to judge do they actually want it or not. There have been plenty of members of the royal family who have managed to avoid it so not like it totally can't be done.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

This is only partially true.

Do I think she’s now trying to stay in the limelight on her terms and for a profit- absolutely.

Given who she is, could she have avoided the attention and media over the last several years? Not a chance.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

H&M are trying to control their own story in the media. That's usually a losing proposition, but I wish them well at it.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: