The World of Style & Entertainment

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
the Moz Canada

Re: The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by the Moz »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm
This is supposed to be progress, right :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

This might have been an interesting tv show concept 30 years ago
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I'm a little confused about this one and why he's being rewarded for finally coming out. Glad he's being honest with himself now and clearly this wasn't an easy road for him. But isn't he the one who was seriously stalking one of the Bachelorettes? Like restraining order level stalking? Or am I mixing up my Bachelors? I don't watch, so I certainly don't keep track like that, only see headlines and blurbs here or there.

I'm not loving Gus being tied to this project if I'm right about which Bachelor this is.

Post by JazzNU »

Nope, not mixing up my Bachelors

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

She also withdrew her accusations. Knowing how "reality tv" works It sounds as if this was some kind of PR stunt to me.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Can I ask one question about these shows. I find it absurd in the extreme that these people automatically want to date the Batchelor or Batchelorette. Is it all fake for the cameras? Do they all hang out for a month before they are picked for the show? It's just the most mindnumbingly stupidest premise. "Waaaaa, we went on two one-hour dates and she/he didn't pick me and now I'm devastated." What????

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 pm She also withdrew her accusations. Knowing how "reality tv" works It sounds as if this was some kind of PR stunt to me.

The TRO was issued. Hard to get one if you've got no basis for it, but appreciably harder to keep it in place for over 72 hours with nothing to show for the allegation. Doesn't mean everything about the allegations are true, but hard for there to not have been something very concerning there for the judge to have kept it in place for the length of time it was.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

dmforever wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm Can I ask one question about these shows. I find it absurd in the extreme that these people automatically want to date the Batchelor or Batchelorette. Is it all fake for the cameras? Do they all hang out for a month before they are picked for the show? It's just the most mindnumbingly stupidest premise. "Waaaaa, we went on two one-hour dates and she/he didn't pick me and now I'm devastated." What????

Kevin
It's 'scripted' reality, so yes it is all fake for the cameras.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

the Moz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:01 am
dmforever wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm Can I ask one question about these shows. I find it absurd in the extreme that these people automatically want to date the Batchelor or Batchelorette. Is it all fake for the cameras? Do they all hang out for a month before they are picked for the show? It's just the most mindnumbingly stupidest premise. "Waaaaa, we went on two one-hour dates and she/he didn't pick me and now I'm devastated." What????

Kevin
It's 'scripted' reality, so yes it is all fake for the cameras.
Is it really? I know this makes me sound really stupid, but I didn't know that. So what is the point of watching it? And they are actually better actors than I thought. They can sure cry on cue. For once I would love one of them to just say, "I'm so glad that you didn't pick me" and then give a laundry list of why they didn't like that person. :)

Thanks for cluing me in.
Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

Kevin

You might give the first season of the Lifetime series UnReal a try. Created by a woman who was once a Bachlor producer and loosely based off her time there. Though obviously exaggerated in plenty of ways, many former contestants have said it's not nearly as far off as they wish it were. The show is fun watch, possibly more so for those of us who don't watch The Bachelor. It's available on Hulu if you're ever interested in trying it out.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Oscars!

Martin Desmond Roe, left, and Travon Free in Dolce & Gabbana. (Chris Pizzello/Pool/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

Travon Free and Martin Desmond Roe directed the best live-action short winner “Two Distant Strangers,” about a Black man stuck in a time loop that always ends with his death at the hands of a White police officer. They wore custom Dolce & Gabbana tuxedos in black and yellow with the names of people killed by police listed on the inner linings of their jackets.

There were so many possible names that Free and Roe had to choose the ones that were most meaningful to them; Free’s jacket includes Daunte Wright, who died in Brooklyn Center, Minn., just two weeks ago. Free and Roe’s Mache sneakers created more room, and display names including Breonna Taylor and George Floyd.

Travon Free arrives for the Oscars at Union Station in Los Angeles. (Chris Pizzello/POOL/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Regina King in Louis Vuitton. (Chris Pizzello/Pool via Reuters)

The lace at the hem makes this very nightgown-y. I like everything else about it though even the "wings" which I usually don't like.

Leslie Odom Jr. in Brioni. (Chris Pizzello/Pool/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

I really wanted to hate this but the only complaint I have is that I would've liked the pants to be a half inch longer. This is a classic Brioni suit however and the tailoring is exquisite. The longer leg would've ruined the Brioni look.

Andra Day in Vera Wang. (Handout/Getty Images)

Her hair and makeup are well done. I just don't think this is an Oscars look. Golden Globes, yes. Even SAG awards.
From the WaPo commentary:

Then there’s Andra Day, a nominee for best actress for “The United States vs. Billie Holiday,” whose draped, high-slit gown was made by Vera Wang in collaboration with an actual welder, because it was made of metal. (You’d never know — it looked as light as a feather.)

(Chris Pizzello/AFP via Getty Images)

Vera is straight up showing off here.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Carey Mulligan in Valentino. (Chris Pizzello/Pool/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

This is a traditional Oscar gown. Lots of fabric, creative silhouette complemented by simple accessories and hair.

Chloé Zhao in Hermès. (Handout/Getty Images)

Someone at Hermés was pulling their hair out by the roots when he saw the sneakers. Other than the seam down the left side of the outfit (it's not a gown) I like this. Next time don't go out of your way to be "normal" carrying a shoulder bag with an Hermés designed outfit and lose the sneakers.

Colman Domingo in Atelier Versace. (Handout/A.M.P.A.S. via Getty Images)

Can we talk about Colman Domingo? Because everyone is talking about Colman Domingo.

The actor, nominated for “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom,” wore an embellished neon pink Atelier Versace suit. It was one of the boldest looks of the night, and universally beloved. The details! Those three perfect gold buttons. The thin gold bracelet. But really, it was the color — and, like Domingo, several stars picked a bright shade and fully committed to it.

Y'all are gonna have to help me with this one. It's not too small, it's perfectly tailored. Save this for the Golden Globes.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Amanda Seyfried in Armani Privé. (Chris Pizzello/AP)

An Armani I don't like. It's as if the designer couldn't make up their mind what they wanted from this gown. Meh.

Zendaya in Valentino. (Handout/Getty Images)

Meh.

H.E.R. in Peter Dundas. (Chris Pizzello/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock) (Chris Pizzello/Pool/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

It looks like this is going to be the look she prefers. At least it doesn't look as if she'll trip and fall if she takes a step like her last outfit did.

Laura Dern in Oscar De La Renta. (Chris Pizzello/Pool via Reuters)

Laura is tall so she can pull this off. I don't have to like it though.

(AP Photo/Chris Pizzello, Pool)

Love the shoes (and that she's wearing panty hose)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

LaKeith Stanfield in Saint Laurent. (Alberto Pezzali/AFP via Getty Images)

I can't get the theme song of "Superfly" out of my head.

WaPo commentary:
LaKeith Stanfield is never one to shy away from a bold choice on the red carpet. This time, the best supporting actor nominee for “Judas and the Black Messiah” seems to have wanted to linger for a moment in that film’s late-’60s, early-’70s aesthetic: He wore a slim-waisted, thick-belted, custom Saint Laurent jumpsuit with broad breast pockets and a flared collar to the ceremony’s London screening. (According to a representative for Saint Laurent, the ensemble was inspired by a piece from the label’s summer 2021 women’s collection.) Rounding out the retro vibe, Stanfield also wore a pair of tinted glasses.
Maria Bakalova in Louis Vuitton. (Chris Pizzello/Pool/AP)

A gown worthy of the Oscar Red Carpet

Tiara Thomas in Jovana Louis. (Chris Pizzello/POOL/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)

Never drop acid while designing or choosing an Oscar Red Carpet outfit. With those pants she should've worn the sneakers Chloe Zhao wore so she wouldn't get tangled up in the fabric when she took a step.