In Memoriam

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: In Memoriam

Post by Suliso »

I checked that 10 Apollo astronauts (including 4 who walked on the Moon) are still with us. All in their late eighties or early nineties. Would be cool if at least one of them would live long enough to see the next landing on the moon.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

We had the honor of meeting the last man to walk on the moon, Gene Cernan. He was the guest speaker for the Georgia Business Aviation Association banquet and presented a scholarship check for my son. My husband and I received it from him as my son was in ND in college at the time.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am not saying that the people doing space exploration nowadays are doing a simple task, but the comparison is insane. All of the Apollo missions were basically analogue-technology, with very little computing power on-board. And these men knew it. Perhaps one of the least accurate, yet very famous quotes was that of Chuck Yaeger when he said that these guys were just "monkeys pressing a button", meaning they were not real pilots. So far from that, they were truly brilliant engineers flying a can into space.
I could go on and on. They were truly my heroes and something I always wanted to do. I remember when Pan Am was selling $1 tickets to the moon, redeemable IF they ever covered that route. That was how brazen the spirit for space exploration was.
If I did not have a family down here, I would sign up for Elon Musk's travel to Mars. They will certainly need somebody to clean the dishes.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

They were pioneers, absolutely all the respect to those guys! Times are changing though and Elon Musk's Starhip if it succeeds will have a crew of up to 100. Just think about how that numbers dwarfs anything we've seen before.

By the way a high altitude test flight of the upper stage is likely as soon as today.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 am I saw it posted earlier today - and of course now I can't find it - there is a bit by comedian Norm MacDonald talking about this - and what his thoughts might be. Pretty funny if you like his acerbic wit
A new thing he posted specifically about this? Or something old brought back up? I'm a big fan so will have to go find it.
:steven:
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:48 pm I am not saying that the people doing space exploration nowadays are doing a simple task, but the comparison is insane. All of the Apollo missions were basically analogue-technology, with very little computing power on-board. And these men knew it. Perhaps one of the least accurate, yet very famous quotes was that of Chuck Yaeger when he said that these guys were just "monkeys pressing a button", meaning they were not real pilots. So far from that, they were truly brilliant engineers flying a can into space.
I could go on and on. They were truly my heroes and something I always wanted to do. I remember when Pan Am was selling $1 tickets to the moon, redeemable IF they ever covered that route. That was how brazen the spirit for space exploration was.
If I did not have a family down here, I would sign up for Elon Musk's travel to Mars. They will certainly need somebody to clean the dishes.
I watched the first two seasons of For All Mankind and really liked them. It sounds like the series might be something you would like. And they are doing at least one more season. :)

Kevin
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Olympia Dukakis has passed. She was 89.

:(
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

One of my favorite actresses of a certain age. She will be missed.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

ptmcmahon wrote:
A new thing he posted specifically about this? Or something old brought back up? I'm a big fan so will have to go find it.
Brought back up...was very old judging by the quality and his attire
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JTContinental wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:12 pm One of my favorite actresses of a certain age. She will be missed.
Absolutely. She got the acclaim for Moonstruck, but I always enjoyed Clairee in Steel Magnolias the most.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

'Go ahead MaLynne, slap her!' :notworthy:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

If you ever get the opportunity to do so, I would encourage you to watch Three Needles. I think I mentioned it on the old board many, many years ago. Olympia portrayed one of the nuns in the final segment of the epilogue and also narrates.

It's dark. Very, very dark. But I thought it was extremely well done. And Olympia, even in a fairly minor role, was fantastic.

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Charles Grodin died yesterday at age 86.

He was absolutely wonderful in Midnight Run.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I first was introduced to him as a kid from The Great Muppet Caper, but definitely enjoyed him in the other stuff I saw him in. The last role I remember was him in was playing an eccentric doctor in Louie (as in Louis CK's show) and was still enjoyable to see there too.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I don't really watch movies, but what I remember most about Grodin are his appearances on talk shows. He was always abrasive on those shows - it was all an act, but wonderfully done, and quite funny...

https://www.vulture.com/article/charles ... ances.html

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower