Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:59 pm I don't really understand how this would possibly be more appealing to fans than UEFA Champions' League (which this aims to replace as the matches would play at the same time).

I thought it was pretty interesting German clubs have zero interest in this. Arguably, Bundesliga gets less international interest the EPL or La Liga, so there could be more exposure for them.

So, I don't think this about appealing more to the fans that currently exist. It's about appealing to fans worldwide, in particular it appears to want to appeal to American and Chinese viewers. Champions League makes (comparatively) peanuts in international TV contracts I think, I know the one here is nothing to write home about. There's clearly already backing for much more lucrative deals to be in place if this Super League comes to pass. They are trying to grow their worldwide popularity way more than their local. And that makes sense to a certain extent. European soccer fans seem like they are loyal to a fault, so they are banking on current fans being mad now, but still wanting to support their teams and coming around eventually, and then drawing in the international audience by having a league of super teams. Because Champions League, I think the idea of it is similar, but the teams, there's a decent number of clubs that are relatively unknown and likely a hard sell internationally.

The money that's at stake here is enough to wipe out losses from the pandemic or just about. These billionaires apparently only have $27 billion per owner and they must get it back up to that $33 billion pre-pandemic level or some grandchild in their family might have to drive a Lexus! Can you imagine the horror?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:59 pm I don't really understand how this would possibly be more appealing to fans than UEFA Champions' League (which this aims to replace as the matches would play at the same time).

I thought it was pretty interesting German clubs have zero interest in this. Arguably, Bundesliga gets less international interest the EPL or La Liga, so there could be more exposure for them.

So, I don't think this about appealing more to the fans that currently exist. It's about appealing to fans worldwide, in particular it appears to want to appeal to American and Chinese viewers.
haha, good luck!

Post by JazzNU »

Chelsea announced early afternoon that they were dropping out of the Super League. After that, Man City said they'd be dropping out as well. Now it's all 6 Premier League clubs - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham - are dropping out. There are rumors that UEFA paid (bribed) the clubs with significant amounts of money to get them to drop out. So Super League appears to be falling apart.

I say appears to be because the Real Madrid guy said that all the clubs signed the contract. So likely done, but also, someone is getting a pretty penny out of breaking a contact that was backed by billions.

In other news, Champions League is in the process of getting worse because they made dumb changes that misses the point from what I can tell in response to the announcement of Super League. Some of these teams might regret backing out of a well funded, similar idea with more money making opportunities in the not too distant future.

And I'm sure we'll see fans criticizing FIFA or UEFA for corruption or enabling human rights violations soon and they'll pretend like they didn't greatly empower them more than ever in these past 48 hours.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I feel like this is a precursor to a similar thing happening to NCAA football in the US...
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

People organizing this league didn't understand or underestimated cultural part of football.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:10 pm People organizing this league didn't understand or underestimated cultural part of football.

That's what I've seen plenty say. And I really think they are missing the point. They understand the culture fine, but they are looking at their books too. They understand a guaranteed $400 million to start for just being in it vs. $90 million when you win it all. Super League's money backing is just appreciably more lucrative.

Post by JazzNU »

the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

People power stopped the Super Dumb League :thumbsup:

Question is, for how long??
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by JazzNU »

I love this. I had no idea the Premier League was so comparatively new or how it came to be. You sure as heck can't tell from the last few days of people talking about it as if it dates back to the stone ages and keeping it fully intact as is.

the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Sir Alex is the most successful Manager in Premier League history, so he's okay with being on the wrong side of history back then :notworthy:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:02 pm
Suliso wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:10 pm People organizing this league didn't understand or underestimated cultural part of football.

That's what I've seen plenty say. And I really think they are missing the point. They understand the culture fine, but they are looking at their books too. They understand a guaranteed $400 million to start for just being in it vs. $90 million when you win it all. Super League's money backing is just appreciably more lucrative.
They understand the money part perfectly well, what they didn't understand is how vicious the oposition would be at a grass roots level and also from politicians. It all collapsed (for now anyway) in less than three days...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Maybe they figured they might be able to slip this by the fans; that now would be the time to try it because fewer fans are paying attention during the pandemic.

If that was (at least partially) their thinking, it seems that they were grossly mistaken.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Deuce wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:52 am Maybe they figured they might be able to slip this by the fans; that now would be the time to try it because fewer fans are paying attention during the pandemic.

If that was (at least partially) their thinking, it seems that they were grossly mistaken.
I think it's quite the opposite. There's little else going on so fans are paying attention even more than usual.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:36 am
Deuce wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:52 am Maybe they figured they might be able to slip this by the fans; that now would be the time to try it because fewer fans are paying attention during the pandemic.

I think it's quite the opposite. There's little else going on so fans are paying attention even more than usual.
In a sense, yes...
I guess what I mean is that maybe they were thinking that the fans are not as passionate during the pandemic as they were prior to. I know that soccer fans in Europe are extremely passionate (that's the polite word)... and maybe the powers that be were hoping that, because no pro sports are functioning normally, or at 100%, now, maybe they could get away with this major change without too much backlash.

In any case, whatever they were thinking, and for whatever reason, they were clearly quite mistaken in thinking that they could get away with it.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Football/soccer fans not passionate? Asleep at the wheel? Their spaceship must have just landed a month ago.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein