Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

I don't have trouble believing it could happen to Tiger Woods or any other athlete. Seems like it would be an even more common problem when the car you're driving isn't one you know well.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:43 pm Good news people! It’s not Tigers fault!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports ... e-in-crash

He just accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the break and wound up instantly going 40 mph over the speed limit! Those celebrities do the darnedest things!
This is going to be my excuse next time I am stopped for speeding (never 85 in a 40 zone, to be clear)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's important to keep in mind that he was speeding before he supposedly accidentally mistook the accelerator for the brake.
And if he did accidentally mistake the accelerator for the brake, what state of mind was he in? The sheriff keeps repeating that "Woods did not seem impaired"... but they also say that he was unconscious at first, then in a state of shock - so how can they possibly tell if he was impaired by something? Maybe he didn't smell of booze - but there are several ways to intoxicate or impair one's mind which leave no obvious signs of so doing.
And the sheriff says that they never tested for any drugs (or alcohol).

Again - this was not Tiger's first indiscretion while driving a vehicle.

Whether he was impaired or not, it sounds very much like the sheriff's department is bending over backwards to absolve Woods of responsibility for this crash. This crash which could have easily killed himself and other people.
This is what always happens with celebrity screw-ups - because this culture clings so desperately to their 'heroes', it is unwilling to admit that they are flawed, and continues to hold to the grand illusion that they are somehow infallible, making all kinds of excuses for their ugly (and dangerous) behaviour.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Malcolm Gladwell did a podcast on whether "unintended acceleration" is more common that we think.

https://www.pushkin.fm/episode/blame-game/
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Fastbackss wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 pm Malcolm Gladwell did a podcast on whether "unintended acceleration" is more common that we think.

https://www.pushkin.fm/episode/blame-game/
^ While that's interesting, it addresses only a flaw in Toyota-based vehicles which causes the vehicles to suddenly accelerate automatically, regardless of driver input. This is a situation where the driver truly bears no responsibility, because the acceleration is not based on driver input.
Therefore, it's completely different and not relevant to the Tiger Woods situation, as they are saying that Tiger may have pressed on the accelerator himself instead of on the brake pedal.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Like others are saying, sure you can hit the wrong pedal by mistake. It’s not going to make you go 40 km/hr over the speed limit accidentally , let alone 40 mph.
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

First, that's exactly what you guys were saying, that no one hits the gas when they meant to hit the brake. It's only after I pointed out thousands of accidents happen that way every year that backtracking on that point started.

And like most of those accidents, no professional with knowledge of accidents is thinking he went from 40 to 80, it would be that he was taking that downhill portion at say 60 and accidentally hit the gas and was going 80.

I have zero clue why everyone is getting high and mighty about this as if they've never sped in their life or why this is being treated here like it's celebrity behavior. The state road I travel on most Saturdays with a 45 mph limit is regularly traveled by half the cars at 60 to 65 mph and it's not an empty road at 7 am. This isn't celebrity behavior, it's human behavior.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I think the point being made is that if it had been non-celebrity Kitty Forest, she would have been facing charges for some form of law violation. But since it was celebrity Tiger Woods, he is being let go easy.
Admittedly no charges are being pressed. I have not read if he was even given a ticket and a fine.
That anybody can have an accident is not being discussed. What is being talked about is how, after you have an accident in which maybe you bear considerable responsibility, your celebrity status grants you a different treatment.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

I have no idea what happens most countries, but in the US, it's truly not surprising for there not to be charges in a case like this and that's for the common man. Solo accidents with speeding are rarely charged. This has nothing to do with celebrity and everything to do with the kind of accident that occurred.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ah, you see? That is news to me. I thought any and all John Publics would be charged with speeding and reckless driving. Good to know.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I’m saying exactly what Ponchi said and I don’t think I’ve backtracked anything. I was immediately being sarcastic that hitting the wrong pedal all of a sudden made him go 40 mph too fast... is total baloney. I was making fun of the article making that the excuse for him by using that headline. And I do believe that if he wasn’t a celebrity, someone who’s had multiple driving incidents like this would be fined or have license suspended or something (not that he can drive now anyway.) Saying tons of other people also speed doesn’t make it ok.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

So, JazzNu... was Tiger's screwing every woman in sight also 'not celebrity behaviour' from him?
What about the mansions he's lived in? The cars he's driven? Is that 'not celebrity behaviour'?

Come on... seriously. Anyone who thinks that Tiger hasn't taken full advantage of his celebrity status, knowing that he can get away with many things that others cannot get away with because of it, is deceiving themselves.
Celebrities become very accustomed to getting special treatment and to being viewed as 'gods' who can do no wrong. It becomes second nature for them to believe that they are actually 'gifted' not only in whatever they are 'famous' for, but in everything in life. That's what happens when everyone treats you like the second coming of Christ - your ego tends to swell to an uncontrollable level, and you think that you're not only untouchable, but that you have the power to do anything. There are many, many, many examples of this.
I strongly suspect that this thinking was behind Tiger's speeding. He's certainly not worried about getting a ticket. And, apparently, he wasn't worried about crashing, or about killing someone else on the road. Because he's Tiger Woods - and in his mind, those bad things only happen to common people.
You would think that his various experiences thus far would inform him otherwise. But even if something bad does happen, he knew damned well that he could get away with it.

This is just more of what I've been mentioning - people making excuses for bad celebrity behaviour because they desperately want to cling to the grand illusion that these celebrities are 'great' and infallible.
I can understand people making excuses for the bad, or dangerous, behaviour of their mother or father, or sister or brother... but making excuses for celebrities based solely on the fact that they are 'famous' for doing one particular thing well, is simply ridiculous.

The facts show that Tiger Woods was a great golfer. They certainly don't show that he's ever been a great human being. I'll assess his life on the latter rather than the former, thanks.

R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Tiger Woods was not raised to live life. He was raised to be a great golfer and that is what he became.

Then again if we're going to drag him for screwing his way through the female population we should talk about all of the PGA and the shenanigans the players get up to.

Should he have been speeding? No, but he will pay the price for this. Will he ever walk properly again? I can't see him walking a golf course again. He will probably end up being an announcer, something he was already trying out.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:04 am ...
Then again if we're going to drag him for screwing his way through the female population we should talk about all of the PGA and the shenanigans the players get up to.

uhm.... Magic Johnson, Wade Boggs, Feliciano Something, Wilt Chamberlain, Marcus Allen, Joe Namath, George Best, James Hunt...
(from the top of my head. We could talk about Rockers, too ;) )