Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yes, plus often the last end you run people out of rocks so if you actually had finished game it would be closer.
:steven:
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

This was posted a couple months ago, but it's a fun video to watch.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, ^ it's a good thing to watch - both for those who know curling and for those who wish to learn more about it.
People new to the sport will be amazed at the precision involved. It's one thing to do it on a pool table right in front of you - but it's another level to have that precision on a sheet of ice a few dozen feet away.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's time for the last event in the 'Calgary bubble' - the Women's World Championships...

In their first game, Canada lost a game they were very much in control of vs. Sweden. Of course, Sweden is a great team - but they had trouble reading the ice in the first half of the game, and Canada were in control halfway through. But they blew it in the second half, as Sweden played better.
It was Canada's game to win, though.

Up next, in a few minutes, is Canada vs. the Czech Republic. I'm rather partial to the Czechs, as I know them, and will be hoping for a good showing from them... and maybe even a surprise win, as Canada's confidence may be somewhat fragile after blowing the game against Sweden.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Despite today's win over Korea, Team Canada is in big, big trouble at 2 wins, 5 losses.

The pressure certainly seems to have paralyzed them - deer in the headlights kind of thing. This is bizarre, as there are no fans in the seats, and less media coverage, as well, due to the pandemic. But Canada is just limping along, looking nothing like the team that won the 'Scotties'.

COVID-19 situation: 7 members of the broadcast staff have tested positive. As a result, Sunday's games were delayed (I believe some games were not played), and there have been no games on TV or streaming since Saturday. Now the earliest that TV/streaming will return is Thursday.
R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thanks for the update.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yes I keep meaning to tune in and then forget. And guess I won't be able to for next few draws.

Do we have another out of nowhere Russian team at the worlds surprising all?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:25 pm Yes I keep meaning to tune in and then forget. And guess I won't be able to for next few draws.

Do we have another out of nowhere Russian team at the worlds surprising all?
Russia? What's Russia?
I don't see any Russian team. :)

Kovaleva won the World Junior Curling Championships in 2013, and has been an alternate on the Russian team at the Women's World Championships twice, I believe. She's a quality curler. She also seems to be genuinely humble, which I like.
Galina Arsenkina is also on the team - she has experience on previous Russian teams at the Women's Worlds, as well.

Kovaleva isn't as popular as Anna Sidorova was - mainly, I imagine, because Kovaleva hasn't posed for ridiculous photos dressed in revealing outfits. Sidorova, I have it on good authority, was a cold, snobbish type of person when she was a popular curler.
I really liked the other Russian Skip - Victoria Moiseeva. She has lots of class.

Canada has begun their comeback - they've won 2 in a row - very likely too little, too late, though.
They're in tough tonight vs. Scottland's Muirhead.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Muirheads lineup looks different this year too.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yeah... the only constant with Scotland over the years has been Eve. Every other position has changed a few times, as far as I can tell.

Canada still winning...
Maybe the key was to stop broadcasting the games! Maybe Curling Canada is behind the positive tests amongst the broadcasters!
If they make the playoffs, it would be the comeback story of the decade.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I was more thinking of Anna Sloan and Vicki Adams, who were on team from pretty much when she emerged on scene in 2008-2009 until end of 2017-2018. I didn't notice the lineup started changing in 2019. Also confusing is one Vicky got married and changed her name, and then next year was replaced by another Vicky.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Looks like the game Friday vs China may be broadcast? Looking at standings, probably ok with 2 out of 3 wins, although that may only be enough for tiebreakers.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yeah - it would be nice to be able to watch some of it.
But then, Canada has done much better when no games were broadcast. Is there a direct correlation? Too much pressure?

My friends the Czech team handed the Kovaleva team their first (and only thus far) loss this afternoon. I encouraged them to take that momentum and confidence into their game vs. the U.S. tonight. Instead, they lost 11-3. Sigh.
As Yogi Berra said: "Half this game is 90% mental." That applies to all sports. If you can beat the hottest team of the week at the World Championships, you've shown that you have the physical attributes - and strategy - to beat pretty much any team. So if you go and lose the next game badly - the same day - against a weaker team... it's not because the team suddenly lost their physical abilities - it's because of a psychological element - maybe feeling pressure (which is self-created), or still not feeling confident and believing in themselves...
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Or, you win because (partly) you had a good game, and lose (partly) because you have a bad game. You're overlooking the 90% that isn't mental.

Although Canadian performances internationally over the last few years do seem to be (at least) 90% mental - most of the top teams from other countries never seem to miss the podium the way Canada often does lately (ex Edin and Cruz for the men at the last few world championships.)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

But the reason you have a bad or a good game is psychological - because you've already proven that the physical ability is there to make the shots/perform the task (in any sport). The physical abilities are only variables because the psychology makes them variable. It's really the psychological approach that is variable, because it's quite fragile, as compared to physical ability, which remains stable (with the possible exception of when one is injured).

One does not lose physical co-ordination or ability from one game to the next. If one doesn't perform as well physically in game 2 as he/she did in game 1, it's because of a psychological factor - ie. pressure, lack of confidence, distraction, etc. - and that acts as an obstacle and impedes/overrides the physical abilities.
R.I.P. Amal...