NBA Random

And other things related to basketball
Suliso Latvia

Re: NBA Random

Post by Suliso »

Maybe the far east where foreigners rarely go, but otherwise I too wouldn't count Turkey as part of the Middle East.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You stories about India remind of why, when people tell me about India's "spirituality", I wonder what I they are talking about.
Txs for your post, JazzNu. It is always so eye-opening.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:04 pm You stories about India remind of why, when people tell me about India's "spirituality", I wonder what I they are talking about.
Txs for your post, JazzNu. It is always so eye-opening.
A few years ago the part of the telephone company I worked for went on a "let's give non whites organizations" kick. There was a group for African Americans, Latinos were lumped together I think, although there might have been a Puerto Rican only group. The biggest fight took place in the Asian Group. North Asians - Chinese, Japanese, Koreans (ignoring the issues between those three groups) did not consider South Asians "Asian". It was ugly. It led to the idea dying a quiet death.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

That was culturally insensitive from your company trying to force together Indians and Chinese like that. I'm pretty sure either community would prefer dealing with white people than with each other.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:39 pm That was culturally insensitive from your company trying to force together Indians and Chinese like that. I'm pretty sure either community would prefer dealing with white people than with each other.
I wish I could say that you're wrong.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I have a question... There is this article about NBA player using anti Semitic slur. All press articles assume that everyone understands what exactly he said and why it is so offensive. I do not... Anyone willing to explain?

Miami Heat player Meyers Leonard will be away from team 'indefinitely' after using slur
"I am deeply sorry for using an anti-Semitic slur during a livestream yesterday," Leonard said.

In the video, Leonard can be heard saying: “F------ cowards. Don’t f------ snipe me, you f------ k--- b----.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... y-n1260387
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Yes, the press is assuming everyone knows what was said. What you've posted is actually more than I've seen to help spell it out more. It's possible that this is more of an American slur than one that is internationally known. The word beginning with the K is the slur there, everything else are just the common curse words. It is an incredibly derogatory way to refer to Jewish people. I tend to think of it as the most offensive one.

I suspect there's something seriously wrong with Meyers, this is a troubling pattern. But apart from that, there's something wrong with the gaming culture imo as this is not the first, second, or tenth time this has happened during a gaming live stream. E-Sports isn't old enough to have so many incidents like this.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Idea: The gaming culture leads to this because, after all, you are ALONE IN A ROOM. You may belief that in reality, nobody is listening or seeing what you are doing. I am sure that these games have modes in which you play against the machine, not another player far away.
Maybe some people, this guy included, are starting to have problems realizing where reality (the audio feedback) and the fiction (the game environment) get mixed. So he maybe thought he was really alone, with no one listening.
Not excusing him, just wondering how this event took place. As JazzNu says, it is not as if that slur is not well known in the USA.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

I think of Shawn Bradley as a Sixer. Goodness was he a bust. In a year with Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway, and Jamal Mashburn, the Sixers chose Shawn with the #2 pick. Yeah. He was able to make a decent enough career in Dallas.

And that's especially great because I can tell you for a fact spending time with many brain injured and spinal cord patients at my mom's hospital, him being paralyzed is rough of course, but it is SO, SO MUCH more difficult because he's 7 ft. 6 in. That is incalculably difficult to manage, so thank goodness he's as rich as he is. He likely already has a custom home to fit his size and can afford to make any changes that will be needed to make it more comfortable and easier to navigate now. And can hire two or three times the home health staff that will likely be needed to aide him in movement. I wish him the best in his rehabilitation.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Lamarcus Aldridge (35) has retired with immediate effect due to heart trouble.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/312 ... alth-scare

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 pm Lamarcus Aldridge (35) has retired with immediate effect due to heart trouble.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/312 ... alth-scare
I just read this. I have to take back the negative things I said about him. An irregular heart beat is no joke.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Feel very sorry for him. He was a classy person and gave his best at both Portland and S. Antonio.
I hope it was just a minor issue and he will be healthy for the rest of his life.

Post by JazzNU »