Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Suliso »

Rumors that the commander of Russian Black sea fleet has been killed earlier today in a Ukrainian missile strike on his headquarters in Sevastopol. Headquarters building has been destroyed for sure (video evidence).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Do you know what technology the Ukrainians are using? Meaning, who gave them a missile that could do that?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:05 pm Do you know what technology the Ukrainians are using? Meaning, who gave them a missile that could do that?
Yes, British Storm Shadow (range ca 250 km) and possibly homemade Neptune (similar range). The latter is a repurposed anti ship missile, the same which sunk cruiser Moskva last year.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Might be even better. Latest news are that the strike was timed at the exact time of a higher leadership meeting for the entire Southern front. Several admirals and three/four star generals in attendance. If so great work of military intelligence.

Overall I think it was possible due to recent weakening of Russian air defence in Crimea. Remember those special forces raids on S-400 missile complex and oil platforms.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Here is a very recent interview with Lt. General Kyrylo Budanov, the current head of Ukrainian military intelligence: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/e ... hotel-room

This general has become very prominent because of the war and the outstanding performance of his branch. He's only 37 years old.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Thanks for that info. And the article, although I wonder how smart it is to have his photo in it.
(I know, the Russians must have him completely profiled, but not need to spread that sort of data around).
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:37 pm Thanks for that info. And the article, although I wonder how smart it is to have his photo in it.
Oh, it's way too late for that. He's very well known already and all over Internet as a meme. They tried to kill him at least once shortly before the war and failed. Now he must be as well protected as anyone in Ukraine.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

If you saw pictures of missile strike on Kharkiv on 23rd - that 5-store building which was hit is where my father lives (lived, because now his apartment is no longer usable). He is alive with small superficial wounds from shattered glass. I would say that he is ok, except he is dying from cancer. 10 ppl were killed in this building this Tuesday.
I'm also unharmed, my building is next to his, it lost 3/4 of windows and even some doors were blown outside by the shock-wave. But somehow our windows and doors survived. At least till today. Utilities are disconnected so far (only central heating was restored quickly), so we had to move to my mother-in-law for the time being.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Thinking of you and your family Mick
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Words fail me.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am sure I speak for all here in TAT2.0, when I say that I hope you and your family will be as well as you can all be, and that this will end soon, with everybody you love safe and sound.
Keep us posted.
And what Ti posted.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

I missed this on si when it was posted a week ago, but an update of sorts re: Sergiy Stakhovsky who continues to serve in Ukraine.

https://www.si.com/tennis/2024/02/02/se ... war-russia