Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:23 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... rism-court

Surely the wta cannot shrug this off?
"But our players will be fine in their special enclave where they can live the way they live where they come from."

Steve Simon will be uttering something to this effect.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

But they can't claim 'progress is being made'
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:23 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... rism-court

Surely the wta cannot shrug this off?
And the ATP.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If you don't want to give Elmo clicks...

Camila Giorgi & her dad allegedly ran away from a villa where they were staying without paying 6 months rent and also took antique furniture worth close to 100,000 euros.

The owner of the villa says he wrote to Camila’s dad & told him to at least return the antique items.

Her father responded by saying that the items were ‘of little value.’

The owner went on to say: “I can’t know how much truth there is or how much Camila owes the state, but I know she owes us. Those objects are part of my mother’s and my life. I want them back.”
https://www.corriere.it/sport/tennis/24 ... 2xlk.shtml
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Seems to be their M.O. Get money and then don't pay.
Very odd. I gather she is not broke, so why this sort of dumb, petty theft?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Zverev's trial begins May 31 and lasts 8 days. He is not required to attend..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is wrong. It is not a trivial thing; this is not a parking ticket. He should attend and should testify. RG be damned.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

German Justice system !
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I'd like the German police to come in and drag him off the clay at RG mid match and haul him into a jail cell if he's found guilty.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I just can't make out his calculations...if he is found guilty, he may end up in jail..and forego millions in prize money..why not quietly pay up the half million euro? What are the chances he will be found innocent? Given that the court has already ruled against him?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The court didn't rule against him. It was one judge. That was the way I read that news (somewhere in here).
And yes, if he is found guilty, let the law be applied in full force.
The sole reason why he is going this way must be that he truly feels he is not guilty. Otherwise, the calculations are as you say: paying the fine would have been much easier.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

YpsiGal🇺🇸🌎☮ @YpsiGal ·14m

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:40 pm YpsiGal🇺🇸🌎☮ @YpsiGal ·14m

The DOJ suing Live Nation, and now Sinclair selling assets - who says the news is never good.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Alexander Zverev pushed and strangled partner, German court told
Tennis star’s defence tells Berlin court claims are ‘unfounded’
Trial begins after Zverev contested fine for domestic assault

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Fri 31 May 2024 16.38 CEST

A Berlin court has begun hearing an appeal by the German tennis player Alexander Zverev against a fine imposed on him for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend, an accusation which he denies.

As the world No 4 competes at the French Open in Paris, his lawyers are fighting his case in court, after he was fined €450,000 (£384,000, $489,000) in October for allegedly trying to strangle Brenda Patea, his then partner and the mother of his three-year-old daughter, Mayla.

The court heard from the prosecutor how, “after a heated argument” at a Berlin flat in May 2020, Zverev allegedly pushed Patea against a wall and strangled her with both hands. Patea had difficulty swallowing and breathing and had suffered from throat pain for several days afterwards, the court was told.

Zverev’s lead defence lawyer, Alfred Dierlamm, told the court the accusations were “unfounded and contradictory”. He said the court would hear evidence from eyewitnesses and would see chat messages, which would give “an objective view of the events”.

Alfred Dierlamm (centre-left) stands across from the plaintiff representatives (right) in the district court room in Berlin. Photograph: Odd Andersen/AFP/Getty Images

The case was quickly adjourned on Friday after Zverev’s legal team lodged a request for the rest of the trial to be held behind closed doors, in order to protect his privacy and the wellbeing of Mayla. The judges are now considering the request.

The trial, for which 10 non-consecutive days have been scheduled, will resume on Monday when a decision on the request for an in camera hearing is expected to be made.

Patea, a former model, appeared in court dressed in a black suit and seemed calm. She was not required to speak. She is due to give evidence close to the start of the trial, according to the court.

Zverev is not required to appear in court at this stage. The trial opening coincides with the French Open which started on 26 May and will continue until 9 June.

The trial is set to run into the dates of the Wimbledon championships and to conclude just before the start of the Paris Olympics. Zverev, a former Olympic champion, is expected to participate in both events. It is unclear if he will be required to attend the court at any point. Before the trial, the 27-year-old said he would not let himself get distracted by the proceedings, and would “keep a clear head”. He said he was confident he would be found innocent.

Brenda Patea is due to give evidence close to the start of the trial, according to the court. Photograph: Odd Andersen/AFP/Getty Images

“I believe in the German system. I do believe in the truth, as well. I do know what I did, I do know what I didn’t do. That’s – at the end of the day – what’s going to come out, and I have to trust in that,” he said last week.

“I do believe that I’m not going to lose this procedure. There’s absolutely no chance I am. That’s why I can play calmly.”

Zverev had previously faced allegations of domestic abuse against a female fellow tennis player, his former girlfriend Olya Sharypova. But the Association of Tennis Professionals, the organisation responsible for the men’s tour, halted its own investigation into the claims in January 2023, after more than two years, due to insufficient evidence.

Zverev defeated Rafael Nadal in the first round of the French Open on Monday, thereby possibly bringing an end to the Spaniard’s years-long domination of the tournament. On Thursday Zverev beat the Belgian David Goffin, securing him a placed in the third round.

He is seeking his first grand slam title, having just won the Italian Open in Rome, and is considered among the favourites. But his legal problems have thrown a shadow over his sporting achievements and he has been questioned frequently over the allegations rather than about his tennis.

The case continues.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... court-told