Horse Racing Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Horse Racing Random

Post by JazzNU »

The majority shown weren't eating or drinking and didn't even have a drink in their hand to help explain it away. This was just a joke from the Kentucky Derby. Maybe other places do a better job with enforcement, but it didn't even look like they tried.

Here's are two quick videos if you didn't catch any of the pre-show that showed the crowds more often.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I cannot think of any track I have seen that does better at enforcement than Churchill. That is to say, Churchill is probably the norm. Many tracks, I'm sure, are even more lenient.

I can also report that Matt (lead of the DWB syndicate) went to Churchill today. He states they are no longer checking temperatures prior to entry. I don't know when they abandoned that policy. It MIGHT have been right after the Derby.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

In other news, Baffert's Concert Tour is a go for the Preakness.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 am In other news, Baffert's Concert Tour is a go for the Preakness.
Of course - he needs others in the field to run interference
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Fastbackss wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:50 am
dryrunguy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 am In other news, Baffert's Concert Tour is a go for the Preakness.
Of course - he needs others in the field to run interference
He didn't on Saturday, but your point is well taken. :)

Honestly, this decision was probably more up to Concert Tour's owners. But still, your point is well taken again. :)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Danceswithbourbon will run her third race Monday, May 10 at Indiana Grand. It will be Race 6 on the program and is scheduled to go 7.5 furlongs on the TURF. If the weather does not cooperate, then it will be 8 furlongs on the dirt (or mud). Several of the Outwork babies have LOVED the slop. So, either way, if we get turf, the Gone West influence in the dam's pedigree should show up. If we get an off track on dirt, the Outwork influence could show up.

The overarching plan is to get her ready for stiffer competition at Churchill.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

That is something I didn't realize. I presumed the surface determined the training leading up. I didn't know it was "possible" to flip surface the day of
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Fastbackss wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:35 am That is something I didn't realize. I presumed the surface determined the training leading up. I didn't know it was "possible" to flip surface the day of
Then I should clarify that this "flip" only occurs in one direction. If grass is too wet, tracks routinely switch them to dirt, leading to a bunch of horses getting scratched because they don't like the dirt or the slop. But races scheduled for dirt NEVER get moved to turf. Similarly, at tracks like Golden Gate that have a turf course and a synthetic/all weather track, races scheduled for turf often get moved to synthetic if there has been rain. But races scheduled for the synthetic never get moved to turf.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:28 pm Danceswithbourbon will run her third race Monday, May 10 at Indiana Grand. It will be Race 6 on the program and is scheduled to go 7.5 furlongs on the TURF. If the weather does not cooperate, then it will be 8 furlongs on the dirt (or mud). Several of the Outwork babies have LOVED the slop. So, either way, if we get turf, the Gone West influence in the dam's pedigree should show up. If we get an off track on dirt, the Outwork influence could show up.

The overarching plan is to get her ready for stiffer competition at Churchill.
I took a look at the field for DWB's third race on Monday (see Race 6 at https://entries.horseracingnation.com/e ... 2021-05-10). This will mark the third time in three races where she goes up against a really bizarre field. We have a few horses coming off layoffs, including a Mike Maker trainee (Maker is one of the best turf trainers in the U.S.) owned by Three Diamonds that hasn't run since November, had a terrible last race that led to the long layoff, and is taking a massive drop in class (but is not for sale--I figure they think she just needs a race--and has been training steadily); a few other horses that have never raced on turf (but includes a talented Brad Cox trainee that is also taking a massive drop in class and has a pedigree that SCREAMS for turf); a horse that broke her maiden on the synthetic but should like grass and was claimed in her last race; and a horse DWB beat in her last race by a neck who is also stretching out in distance and might take to the grass--yet, DWB got a 10/1 morning line while the horse she beat by a neck got a 20/1 morning line. I'm not following that logic at all.

Trying to make sense of it gave me a headache that required ibuprofen.

BTW, Jesus Castanon will be aboard DWB for the third time. He really likes her. :)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit tested positive for 21 picograms of the anti-inflammatory drug, betamethasone. That is a legal medication, but withdrawal must be complete before a horse races. Baffert insists Medina Spirit has never been treated with the drug and has requested a split sample for analysis.

Until the investigation is final, Churchill Downs has banned Baffert from bringing any horses to the Churchill grounds.

Meanwhile, Medina Spirit is still scheduled to run in the Preakness on Saturday.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... amethasone
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Tweet of the Day on horse racing Twitter... So far.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Ouch.
baffert shirt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Full image:

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Cancel culture? Huh? In what alternative universe?