Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Mostly brave, and I would not call it stupid, but a little crazy. That bear could have torn her face off.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Many years ago on my way with relatives to eat in Québec City a small bear cub had found its way onto the highway. I wanted to slow down and while staying in the car look more closely but instead the driver sped up. His explanation was that the mother was nearby and that we were in a car she could, with a charge, possibly knock over.

In the heat of the moment she just reacted.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Ok, while in random, random I have to ask Ti...what's the original of your signature? Every time I see it I want to scream John Lennon didn't write or sing that, but I'm guessing there's a back story? :)
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Stealers Wheel.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Oh I know... but I want to know why we are apologizing to John Lennon instead of Gerry Rafferty. :)
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:03 am Ok, while in random, random I have to ask Ti...what's the original of your signature? Every time I see it I want to scream John Lennon didn't write or sing that, but I'm guessing there's a back story? :)
Ya know...wow. I always thought it was John and Yoko. I'll fix it. Thanks.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Ha ha, no big deal of course, just one of things I'd always see and wonder if there was something I was missing :D
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:03 am I was listening to a "regular" sports podcast (in other words rarely cover tennis).

Host is a former columnist.

One subset of their discussion on the Osaka topic that make me take a step back was how they knew that "tennis journalists are the toughest" and that "the questions Tennis players get asked would not fly in other sports" and other similar sentiments
That's because most other sports are dominated by men. And men aren't asked questions about their looks, their gender, their clothes or anything else that perpetuates the sexualization of their gender anywhere near the rate women experience.
Last edited by the Moz on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

the Moz wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:08 pm
Fastbackss wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:03 am I was listening to a "regular" sports podcast (in other words rarely cover tennis).

Host is a former columnist.

One subset of their discussion on the Osaka topic that make me take a step back was how they knew that "tennis journalists are the toughest" and that "the questions Tennis players get asked would not fly in other sports" and other similar sentiments
That's because most other sports are dominated by men. And men aren't asked questions about their looks, their gender, their clothes or anything else that perpetuates the sexualization of their gender anywhere near the rate women experience.
Male athletes also don't post photos bringing attention to their physical looks onto 'social media' nearly as often as female athletes do, either.

Do you think Genie (and many others) are really asking for comments on the quality of the material that their string bikinis are made of?
Not quite - they are seeking comments like "You look fantastic!", "You're so hot!", "Sexy mama!", etc.

You can't have it both ways.
When you voluntarily objectify yourself... Expecting to be able to have your cake, and eat it, too, is rather foolish.
R.I.P. Amal...

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Male tennis players absolutely do draw attention to their physical looks on social media just as much the women.

Also, women do not wear clothing for men, and they surely can dress how they want without the expectation that they will be sexualized. If they are, that isn't their problem...
Last edited by JTContinental on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I seriously doubt that very much.
Do a count and let us know the real results.

You can start by comparing bikini shots to Speedo shots, which are the equivalent. I believe the difference will be rather significant.
Last edited by Deuce on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by JTContinental »

Why? I already know the answer. This post above is super gross.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yeah, yeah... I've heard that from you before.... sigh...

If you're saying that males put as much focus on their appearance as females do, history proves otherwise.
Maybe you live in a different world than I do.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by JTContinental »

Clearly I do