Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mmmm8

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by mmmm8 »

James wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:05 am My entire immediate family managed to catch covid this week. So I've been stuck fretting in a different state. I imagine my grandfather (they were together to celebrate his 96th birthday) isn't going to make it.
I'm sorry to hear. I hope they all recover.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

James I hope your grandfather makes it through all right. I'm so sorry to hear that so many in your family are ill.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

James wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:05 am My entire immediate family managed to catch covid this week. So I've been stuck fretting in a different state. I imagine my grandfather (they were together to celebrate his 96th birthday) isn't going to make it.
I hope your family, including your grandfather, will be okay. Please make sure your family knows that if they start feeling anything beyond mild symptoms to get to the hospital immediately. I'm speaking with knowledge from my own family members who've had covid, quick action can make a big difference in the outcome. I'll be praying for your family.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Several people in their 90s, and even people over 100, have survived the virus, James. So it is possible.
Hang in there as best you can.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

I hope everyone makes it through OK. Keep us informed.

Group Hug emoticon.

(I miss the 'like' and 'agree' buttons and the 'group hug' emoticon.)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I'm so sorry, James. I really hope everything will be okay. It has been said already.... Many very elderly people have gotten through COVID just fine. I hope this works out the same.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I'm really sorry James.
Omess Canada

Post by Omess »

James wrote:My entire immediate family managed to catch covid this week. So I've been stuck fretting in a different state. I imagine my grandfather (they were together to celebrate his 96th birthday) isn't going to make it.
Sorry to hear it James . All the best to your family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James

Honorary_medal

Post by James »

Now my dog Sandy is getting a 4-site biopsy today. It's all a bit much this week. Probably not going to putz with predictions stuff unless I desperately need that distraction.

Post by JazzNU »

Still waiting on 2 would be Christmas packages from USPS...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Unbelievable. I hope it is nothing with batteries in it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:04 pm Unbelievable. I hope it is nothing with batteries in it.
No, thank goodness, just clothes. I had 2 other packages come late last week that were for my niece and I'm thrilled those came first so I could give them to her last weekend, but this is highly ridiculous. I'm gonna have to contact the stores again and get a promise from about an extended return date if they aren't here by Monday. Because, yes, it's been so long, I'm gonna miss the super extended holiday return window.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Just seeing this--so sorry to hear this, James. I hope everything works out ok.

Post by JazzNU »

Japanese man you can ‘rent to do nothing’ has thousands of clients

by Emily Cope

A man who makes a living by renting himself out “to do nothing” has garnered an enormous following online and thousands of clients.

For 10,000 yen (£70) - plus expenses for travels and meals - anyone can rent Shoji Morimoto, 37, from Tokyo in Japan, but he will not do anything except “eat, drink and give a simple response”.

Morimoto first offered his services in June 2018 after posting a tweet that read: “I offer myself for rent, as a person who does nothing. Is it difficult for you to enter a shop on your own? Are you missing a player on your team? Do you need someone to keep a place for you? I can’t do anything except easy things.”

Although originally offering his services for free, Morimoto now charges to reduce the volume of requests and to discourage time-wasters, and says he sees three or four clients a day - and 3,000 since he first launched his services.

People rent him for various reasons, he says, but most are bored or lonely and simply want to be listened to.

He has been hired to have lunch, pose for photographs on Instagram, accompany someone filing for divorce, catch butterflies in the park and to listen to health care workers struggling with their work.

One man hired him to describe a murder he had committed, while another paid Morimoto to take him from the hospital to revisit the spot where he had attempted suicide.

Morimoto - who is married and holds a postgraduate degree in physics from Osaka University - told The Mainichi newspaper: “I’m not a friend or an acquaintance. I’m free of the annoying things that go with relationships but I can ease people’s feelings of loneliness."

“I personally don’t like being cheered on by other people. It bothers me when people simply tell me to keep persevering. When someone is trying to do something I think the best thing to do is to make it easier for them by staying at their side,” he added.

In less than three years Morimoto - who used to work in publishing but quit to “do nothing” - has published books about his career choice, inspired a television drama and acquired 270,000 Twitter followers.

One of his clients posted online: “I'm glad I was able to take a walk with someone while keeping a comfortable distance, where we didn't have to talk but could if we wanted to.”

While another wrote: "I had been slack about visiting the hospital, but I went because he came with me."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/ ... uxbndlbing
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

A person who does nothing for a living started charging money 'to discourage time wasters' - let that sink in for a moment. :?
Last edited by skatingfan on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.