Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mmmm8

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:38 am
JazzNU wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:03 pm ...

Just trying to keep up here. Do you feel that if there's a verifiable reason to explain certain feelings you are having that they are not a mental health issue? Here's another example to consider if your own is too difficult to evaluate more objectively for this discussion. If a woman is pregnant and miscarries. Would you then consider the depression she experiences after the miscarriage not what you would classify as a mental health issue because the reasons for being depressed are easily traced? If so, how do you typically view and classify these feelings and struggles?
You mention one very good example against my opinion. I would not deny that a woman going through that scenario AND developing depression is justifiable, but that is because the event is NOT totally reasonable. Every parent (and here I would include the father) expects a pregnancy to reach a happy conclusion, and the expected "return" (a child) is too precious for its "non arrival" to be taken lightly. That case is indeed exceptional.
(And please, understand that I feel I am at the limit of vocabulary. I know that my phrasing sounds rather mercantilistic, which is not appropriate. But I am at a loss for proper words).
But, for example. The death of an elderly parent is very painful. But, IF ELDERLY, that is the normal flow of life.
SADNESS is obviously expected and reasonable, but DEPRESSION is something that could be questioned and perhaps would not need therapy
(loving support, indeed).

@Dry. Thanks for the definitions. Gotta think about them.

Would disagree here again. Sadness is expected but depression WOULD need therapy precisely because it could be questioned as a normal response.

There are various kinds of diagnosable depression and one is situational. I.e. caused by a reasonable event (i.e. miscarriage, etc.) or situation (i.e. unemployment) AND still treatable.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Deuce wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:21 am I've always felt that a good, sincere friend can help more than any therapist - because the sincere friend's caring is genuine, and not conditional upon being paid money, not restricted to 45 minutes per week, etc., etc.

For those who lack such a friend in their life, perhaps a therapist might be able to help. But only if a good one is chosen, of course - and that's often a crapshoot.
1. It's not your friend's job to be your therapist. That's a HUGE burden to put on that friend (I've been that friend). They will now, if a really good friend, feel responsible for your mental state and it's a very heavy weight if the issue is serious. It's one thing to "share," it's another to use friends and loved ones for treatment of a potential medical issue.
2. Your friend is biased and untrained and may give you bad advice that potentially pushes you away from healing.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:59 pm
But over the years, yes, I think the self-reporting changed. People are more open about mental health issues and not "embarrassed" to report them AND are more aware and can recognize them.

That's why you have such high numbers in a country like the UK, but when you go to some Asian countries where mental illness (and, often, illness in general) is stigmatized, the self-reporting is much lower. You also see higher numbers reported by younger people.

Just to add to this, in the US, there's been a concerted effort to get men to be more open to identifying and being willing to get help for their mental health problems. We have identifiable issues, the number of daily suicides among service members and/or veterans, alcoholism and drug addiction in men, suicide and depression being a higher cause of death, the mass shooters being mostly young men. So there's just an overall effort to address toxic masculinity. Are there always mental health issues playing a part to all of this? No. But many times, yes.

I find that stat that more women attempt suicide but more men succeed to be really interesting.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:23 am
JazzNU wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:59 pm
But over the years, yes, I think the self-reporting changed. People are more open about mental health issues and not "embarrassed" to report them AND are more aware and can recognize them.

That's why you have such high numbers in a country like the UK, but when you go to some Asian countries where mental illness (and, often, illness in general) is stigmatized, the self-reporting is much lower. You also see higher numbers reported by younger people.

Just to add to this, in the US, there's been a concerted effort to get men to be more open to identifying and being willing to get help for their mental health problems. We have identifiable issues, the number of daily suicides among service members and/or veterans, alcoholism and drug addiction in men, suicide and depression being a higher cause of death, the mass shooters being mostly young men. So there's just an overall effort to address toxic masculinity. Are there always mental health issues playing a part to all of this? No. But many times, yes.

I find that stat that more women attempt suicide but more men succeed to be really interesting.
It really is. Perhaps has to do with preferred methods and access to weapons? And/or there's an actual physical component to this, since we're talking about physical existence.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:02 pm
It really is. Perhaps has to do with preferred methods and access to weapons? And/or there's an actual physical component to this, since we're talking about physical existence.
That's exactly why. I haven't read anything about it in a while, so keeping that in mind, men's chosen method is on average more violent than women's and leads to a higher rate of success because intervention isn't there in enough time to save them.

I find many of the suicide statistics alarming. In the UK, probably the most was that it's the leading cause of men's death under the age of like 40. In the US, it remains the stat, that hopefully has improved, of service members that die by suicide each day.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:22 am
1. It's not your friend's job to be your therapist. That's a HUGE burden to put on that friend (I've been that friend). They will now, if a really good friend, feel responsible for your mental state and it's a very heavy weight if the issue is serious. It's one thing to "share," it's another to use friends and loved ones for treatment of a potential medical issue.

Amen! Been there, it's not good.

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The very first high speed train in Europe run on this day 40 years ago between Paris and Lyon.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:44 pm The very first high speed train in Europe run on this day 40 years ago between Paris and Lyon.

And here in the US we're still waiting...
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Do you know what speed it could reach?
And yes, the USA never was into trains, and never will be. Trains are for Europe, Japan and China.
Which is odd because it is a very inexpensive form of transportation (compared to airplanes), it is far more comfortable than being in a metal tube 6 meters in diameter, and the scenery can be gorgeous. I would love to see a train cut through The Rockies.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 pm Do you know what speed it could reach?
And yes, the USA never was into trains, and never will be. Trains are for Europe, Japan and China.
Which is odd because it is a very inexpensive form of transportation (compared to airplanes), it is far more comfortable than being in a metal tube 6 meters in diameter, and the scenery can be gorgeous. I would love to see a train cut through The Rockies.
I think you can:
https://www.colorado.com/articles/compl ... rain-trips
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, those I know. The Durango one is just one hour away from my place up there, and it cuts through some amazing mountains. But I was thinking about something like a French TGV and going from, let's say, Denver to L.A.
Those trains you mention are tourists attractions per se. There is nothing in Silverton, for example, other than the town looking like it is still stuck in 1850.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 pm Do you know what speed it could reach?
The original one was going at 260 km/h, but now the line has been upgraded to 300 km/h. Have you not ridden TGV's in France?

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 pmAnd yes, the USA never was into trains, and never will be. Trains are for Europe, Japan and China.
That inexpensive part is debatable. Building lines like this cost a fortune and with US building costs would be 3-5x as much as in France where it cost somewhere around 30 million euros per km (ca 55 millions dollars per mile).

As for prices it also depends when you buy just like for airplanes. Basel-Paris (3 h 4 min) could cost as little at 49 euros one way to as much as 180 euros for a 2nd class ticket. The former likely cheaper than airplane on the same route, the latter definitely not.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Also note that Basel-Paris is only about 3/4 on a dedicated line. Otherwise maybe 2.5 h be possible.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:48 pm
The original one was going at 260 km/h, but now the line has been upgraded to 300 km/h. Have you not ridden TGV's in France?

Only one time, coming from the UK. It was a super pleasant experience. Last long distance trip on a train was Copenhagen-Oslo, then Oslo-Stockholm. But those were not TGV's.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 pm Only one time, coming from the UK. It was a super pleasant experience. Last long distance trip on a train was Copenhagen-Oslo, then Oslo-Stockholm. But those were not TGV's.
TGV's are good, but for pure comfort I think Italian and Spanish high speed trains are even better. I think mostly because their rolling stock is newer. I've tried all the major high speed rail systems except Chinese and Korean.