Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 pm I've had an intern for the last 6 months. He did his MSc at university of Basel. I was asking him today how many people got their BSc degrees in chemistry in his year. He said 14 out of 45 who started. Needed to weed out all the lazy ones. It is a very different system than the one in US where public is concerned about graduation rates. Nobody cares here, at least not in technical disciplines.
Is this supposed to shame the US university system? And not sure where you got the idea anyone cares here either. That's the case for just about every pre-med program, which masquerades as a chemistry and physics program to start. The grand majority are weeded out in the first two years, but most are gone by the end of the first year.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 pm I've had an intern for the last 6 months. He did his MSc at university of Basel. I was asking him today how many people got their BSc degrees in chemistry in his year. He said 14 out of 45 who started. Needed to weed out all the lazy ones. It is a very different system than the one in US where public is concerned about graduation rates. Nobody cares here, at least not in technical disciplines.
Are they able to transfer departments or do they have to drop out of the University if they quit the program?

I think the US public is more concerned about high school graduation rates, which is 88% on average, and as low as 75% in some states, less so about college graduation rates.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:35 pm
Are they able to transfer departments or do they have to drop out of the University if they quit the program?

I think the US public is more concerned about high school graduation rates, which is 88% on average, and as low as 75% in some states, less so about college graduation rates.
Looks like it's possible ot switch programs, so not that dissimilar to the US: https://www.unibas.ch/en/Studies/My-Stu ... -etc..html
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 am
Wonderful!
If this is true, the museum got exactly what it deserves. :lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:13 pm
Is this supposed to shame the US university system? And not sure where you got the idea anyone cares here either. That's the case for just about every pre-med program, which masquerades as a chemistry and physics program to start. The grand majority are weeded out in the first two years, but most are gone by the end of the first year.
Not at all. Where did I say that? Just a remark on how different systems work.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:37 pm it's possible ot switch programs, so
Yes, it is. Those people are not doomed or anything. I was just saying that there is a lot of competition in the first few years in university in technical fields (even more in a fancier place like ETH Zurich). I bet most of them earned their BSc degrees as well eventually, just not in chemistry.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 am
"I have an idea. Let's pay somebody the full amount UP FRONT, for a vaguely defined task, for which there are no standards and no collateral down by the payee. What could go wrong?"
---0---
I once was at the Guggenheim NYC and spent the morning there. At the very top, the crowning jewel of the museum, an entire white hall was empty, and the "work" being showcased, with people gaping at it, were literally three strokes, one on each wall, of three different shades of grey, done with a wide spatula.
This is about the same, so be it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:42 pm
"I have an idea. Let's pay somebody the full amount UP FRONT, for a vaguely defined task, for which there are no standards and no collateral down by the payee. What could go wrong?"
---0---
I once was at the Guggenheim NYC and spent the morning there. At the very top, the crowning jewel of the museum, an entire white hall was empty, and the "work" being showcased, with people gaping at it, were literally three strokes, one on each wall, of three different shades of grey, done with a wide spatula.
The money was meant to be put inside the artwork. It was an update to a previous work he did, so they had to give it to him up front! This looks kind of like trolling/a joke, and they expect him to still give the money back when it's contractually due in January. So I think this is more a joke/statement/trolling than an actual case of theft. I think it's great.

I do think there is some amount of grift by some prominent artists, though, while some just get validated for pretty empty/talentless work unintentionally.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:42 pm
---0---
The money was meant to be put inside the artwork. It was an update to a previous work he did, so they had to give it to him up front! This looks kind of like trolling/a joke, and they expect him to still give the money back when it's contractually due in January. So I think this is more a joke/statement/trolling than an actual case of theft. I think it's great.

I do think there is some amount of grift by some prominent artists, though, while some just get validated for pretty empty/talentless work unintentionally.
Are you saying there's... more to the story than initially appears? :) I admit, I fell for it. It's pretty brilliant as a publicity stunt, if that's what it is (at least partially). Or whatever, I like it as long as it's not ripping them off, whether the museum deserved it or not (I wouldn't think so).

On second thought, if it's not real, then maybe it's not brilliant. It got attention, but if it's just a fake-out, I lose some respect. It's easy to make a joke, harder to commit and make a statement, which is what art is for. Made me think, at least, which is also what art is for.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 pm ...

If that is the story, well, kudos to the marketing people.
But it reminds me of that group that does silly things in museums and pranks audiences (not Banksy). They set up a chair with glasses on it, and then stand around looking at it, seriously. People pretty soon stand next to them, not being aware of the prank.
Anyway. Old man yelling at clouds. Through a megaphone. You know me by now ;)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:32 pm I have not been able to play tennis for months and it is driving me nuts. I miss it so much.
How did it feel, PT? I remember that soon after joining TAT1.0 I wrote an essay on how much I love this sport. How I feel when I am on court. You think you will be back on court more often?
Depends on the kids. 95% of stuff I like to do I don't have time to between kids and work lately. But I'd like to, will suggest it when we have some free time next weekend. Well IF we have free time.
:steven:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

A positive story out of Florida.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You have to be insane.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein