With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:18 pm ...

I hope your niece is okay. And the original vaccine without the booster is very likely to be enough to bolster her immunity against severe illness. Is she in Venezuela or in the US? If it's early in testing positive and she's here, she can likely go to get the monoclonal antibody treatment if she's concerned about her outcome and has one of the high risk conditions associated with severe illness. Something to keep in mind if she's here, but needs to be done early on.
She is my niece in Georgia. She is doing well, I spoke with her a bit earlier. Feeling as if it was a terrible cold, but so far, nothing serious. So I gather it will be a few days of delivery apps for food, and not much more.
She was mostly worried about her kid, my severely premature-born grand niece, but she is doing fine too. As I say, as far as this family is concerned, vaccines work.
;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I tested positive on 12/16, a sore throat was my indicator. I tested negative on 12/23. It wasn't more than the sore throat for a couple days, so I feel lucky to have gotten vaccinated and boosted the first days they became available to me. I take 3 subway lines to my job teaching, it was just a matter of time for me.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:36 am I tested positive on 12/16, a sore throat was my indicator. I tested negative on 12/23. It wasn't more than the sore throat for a couple days, so I feel lucky to have gotten vaccinated and boosted the first days they became available to me. I take 3 subway lines to my job teaching, it was just a matter of time for me.
Happy to hear that you are okay and only had mild symptoms.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm so glad to hear that you're okay Owen. Vaccines work.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:36 am I tested positive on 12/16, a sore throat was my indicator. I tested negative on 12/23. It wasn't more than the sore throat for a couple days, so I feel lucky to have gotten vaccinated and boosted the first days they became available to me. I take 3 subway lines to my job teaching, it was just a matter of time for me.
Are all subway passengers supposed to be masked there?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:12 am
Yes, there's a $50 fine for not wearing a mask, but when the police are wandering around the subways maskless.....
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:00 am
Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:12 am
Yes, there's a $50 fine for not wearing a mask, but when the police are wandering around the subways maskless.....
Thanks.
Should be a $500 fine. Minimum.
As for the police... now is a really good time for them to stop being 'above the law'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Here I am again posting something which really defies description.
I hope no-one else has posted this yet, as I'm not sure you all can handle another round of this...

"At the San Diego County Board of Supervisors meeting... The board was contemplating whether to support a local health-emergency order extension and the woman, among other local residents, addressed her thoughts when invited to speak."

Try to watch all of it.
I know, I know... but please try to.

R.I.P. Amal...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Masks are very useful, but they're not going to protect you forever if you regularly take public transport in ultra high spread environment. That's just how it is...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Natural immunity. Wonder where that misconception came from?
Nah, I do know. I have friends from that side of the asylum.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I had a bizarre conversation with my brother the other day (the brother I like). He is traveling to Ohio to bring in the New Year with my mother, my oldest brother, and my oldest brother's children + spouses and grandson (4 months old). Everyone is fully vaccinated (whatever THAT means these days) except for the infant. They have discussed whether everyone should wear masks, especially with a new infant around, and I guess they landed on "do whatever your conscience dictates". I am not aware of any protocols or guidance regarding what people should do around an infant, so I assume the best thing to do is to exercise an abundance of caution. That said, masks will be optional, I guess.

Toward the end of the conversation, I remember saying, "Even just 2 years ago, these types of conversations would have been unimaginable." But I'm glad they at least talked about it.

Obviously, I'm not going. That's not so much because I'm worried about being around them. It's more an issue of having very limited control over who we would potentially come in contact with between here and there.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:10 pm If I were in Miami I'd just go to a beach at midnight. Would be exotic for me...
So, in the rich area where we are (which is Key BIscayne, an island, so not as easy to get elsewhere), all the beaches are either part of national parks (closed at night) or private. The place where the party got canceled was actually a beach club, so it would have been on the beach. We are now at a restaurant outside, so still safe and exotically warm for me.

Incidentally, yesterday I went to Crandon Park, the site of the former Sony Ericsson Open here on the island, and it's still pretty much intact and semi-abandoned. What I would do if I were with fellow tennis fans is sneak onto the court at midnight and celebrate there, would've been fun + great views of the city.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Welp.. the in-laws both tested positive a couple of days after they went to a family member's house for Christmas Eve (lots of kids present and almost everyone in attendance has tested positive). I'm not aware of anyone getting tested before the gathering, just afterwards once symptoms appeared. Sigh...

My mother-in-law has cold symptoms and my father-in-law is asymptomatic. She has Parkinson's, so we're hoping she recovers quickly.

At the current rate of around 290,000 cases daily, about 1% of the U.S. population will have gotten it in a ten day span.
Last edited by MJ2004 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.