Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mmmm8

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by mmmm8 »

Glad you are coming back to normal, ponchi. Scary and frustrating.

I've seen enough stuff happen to family, friends and colleagues the last couple years (even outside of COVID), to know this stuff can happen at any time regardless of general health level. It's also led me to believe the biggest contributor/predictor is stress... which just makes my stress levels higher, of course.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Only one last comment, as I don't like to hijack topics (although, how can you hijack the RANDOM, RANDOM topic? :? )
Again, thanks for your words and good wishes. A great reminder that this forum is special because of the people, not the contents. :heart:
I woke up this morning and, after the effects of the dexamethasone wore out, I am basically back where I was on Tuesday. That seems to confirm that it was NOT a stroke/TIA, because those are one time events. This seems to line up with the last diagnostic of a virus induced paralysis. Also, this happened on Tuesday, and on Monday I did wake up with one of my "low tension" attacks, fueled by the last 18 months of anguish due to my labor situation. My brother IL tells me that indeed, these paralysis are highly related to stress, which right now, I am up to the brim with.
The main difference between the TIA and stroke possibility is that I never lost any mental/cognitive faculties. Indeed, I did walk to the hospital by myself (my sister already scalded me for doing that, don't worry) and did everything I had to by myself. Still, this is biased as I am the patient indeed, and I cannot rule out that I am looking at the evidence in a way to decrease its importance.
I started taking my medicines, expected recovery time is about 1 month, and I have to start doing physiotherapy for my face, which, you have to admit, sounds really funny. :D
:grouphug:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:34 pm Only one last comment, as I don't like to hijack topics (although, how can you hijack the RANDOM, RANDOM topic? :? )
Again, thanks for your words and good wishes. A great reminder that this forum is special because of the people, not the contents. :heart:
I woke up this morning and, after the effects of the dexamethasone wore out, I am basically back where I was on Tuesday. That seems to confirm that it was NOT a stroke/TIA, because those are one time events. This seems to line up with the last diagnostic of a virus induced paralysis. Also, this happened on Tuesday, and on Monday I did wake up with one of my "low tension" attacks, fueled by the last 18 months of anguish due to my labor situation. My brother IL tells me that indeed, these paralysis are highly related to stress, which right now, I am up to the brim with.
The main difference between the TIA and stroke possibility is that I never lost any mental/cognitive faculties. Indeed, I did walk to the hospital by myself (my sister already scalded me for doing that, don't worry) and did everything I had to by myself. Still, this is biased as I am the patient indeed, and I cannot rule out that I am looking at the evidence in a way to decrease its importance.
I started taking my medicines, expected recovery time is about 1 month, and I have to start doing physiotherapy for my face, which, you have to admit, sounds really funny. :D
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:34 pm Only one last comment, as I don't like to hijack topics (although, how can you hijack the RANDOM, RANDOM topic? :? )
Ponchi, I somehow missed this thread before. I'm really sorry to hear about your medical problems. IF this place is special because of the group of people here, then you are the most special because of your time and effort to make this virtual space possible for the rest of us. If there is anything we can do, please let us know. I really hope that you make a speedy, complete recovery.

Take care.

Kevin
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:34 pm

In case I wasn't clear about this before, you do not need to lose cognitive function to have a mini-stroke/TIA. For instance, some only have a dropping face, trouble walking, numbness in a limb, etc., but not a loss of some cognitive function. Strokes, mini and regular, present in a variety of ways, loss of cognitive function is just one. Happy to hear that you're unlikely to have had one though.

Physical therapy sounds appropriate. Have to regain strength in your facial muscles to correct the drooping.

If you haven't known anyone personally with Bell's Palsy, just know it is highly likely that in a few months if you commit to your therapy, someone you know but haven't seen in some time will see you and not know you had this problem unless you tell them about it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I’ve just watched this film, and I found it to be fascinating. I didn’t seek it out - it just happened to be on TV, and when I read the description, it intrigued me.

Beyond the sheer creativity and courage of the filmmaker to be among these people, and to challenge them face to face, the film insists on delving far beneath the mere surface of this issue... and beneath the surface, we find mental illness, childhood trauma, parental abuse and neglect, personal insecurity, high susceptibility to negative influence...

The film didn't so much offer astonishing revelations to me - I've 'picked the brains' of 'skinheads', etc. before - as it completely impressed me with the frank, thorough, efficient manner in which it was done.
There have been other films on this subject - but this is the best one I’ve seen. I find it to be very raw and real and sincere.
I would love to meet the filmmaker and talk with her... and give her an enormous hug.

Probably not easy to watch for some - but fascinating, fascinating stuff. I encourage everyone to take the time to watch it...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Video unavailable - what was it?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 am Video unavailable - what was it?
Damn.
It still works fine for me within the post I put up. Must be a country restriction type of thing, as the network that put it on YouTube (TVO) is Canadian.

I don't suppose this link will work for you, either, as it's directly from TVO's website - but give it a try, please...
https://www.tvo.org/video/documentaries ... -the-enemy

Here's a good description of the film...
Synopsis - 'White Right: Meeting the Enemy

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is creepy...

Via Dan Jones@dgjones and @threadreaderapp

Since people have asked, here is the full story of the person unknown who is sleeping in my car
So for a while I’ve been confused by things happening with my Tesla, like i come down in the morning and the windows are vented or settings have just changed slightly

But it’s a Tesla, and it’s easy to hit random buttons on the screen or the app
I know, bougie problemz, (expletive) whatever
But a month or so ago I got in and the passenger seat was like fully reclined.

How?

It was bugging the (expletive) out of me for a while.

Then I just let it go
Then this morning I go to defrost the car on the app and it says the car is already super toasty, and the windows are vented.

This is called camp mode. I dunno, ask @elonmusk
Anyway, I get in and I’m waiting for my daughter so I can take her to school and I look at the passenger seat and

HOLY (expletive)

there’s a hat on it

A beanie

Specifically an England rugby beanie

Which if you know me, I would not allow in my (expletive) car
So I’m freaking out and I take it in the house and I’m like what the (expletive)

There is SOMEONE SLEEPING IN MY CAR

But I have to do the school run so I get back in the car, fully doing my nut
And I look around the car

And all the interior lights are on

And the dog’s blanket on the back seat is rolled up as a pillow

And there’s a coke baggie stuffed down the side of the seat

And the passenger seat is reclined
And my (expletive) @netflix is on the screen

And you know what, it has been killing me for months why my Netflix keeps reverting to French

But now I’m like - there’s a French person disguising themselves in an England rugby hat

Sleeping in my car

Or doing coke and chilling
But how are they getting in?

I think I usually lock the car but maybe I forget sometimes?

Or maybe my phone is in Bluetooth range in the house?
Because if you’re up to hacking a @Tesla I feel like maybe you aren’t living a transient lifestyle doing beak in my car

You’re into crypto fraud or some (expletive)
I dunno. Anyway.

The car is now on Sentry mode.

This will drain the goddamn battery.

But since I’ve been losing roughly 30 miles a night to the frigging Pink Panther watching Emily In Paris I think I can live with it
Thanks for listening. I’m bugging out about this.

@mikeskinnerltd i hope this does the job
UPDATE: daughter thinks this may be why someone has been watching The Conjuring on her Netflix. And Outer Banks
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

In case you're not on social media and you miss this going around.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:34 pm In case you're not on social media and you miss this going around.

Jazz this won't load for me.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Via @juliusgoat and @threadreaderapp

Yes, the boat hit the iceberg, but putting the children in lifeboats is the most destructive thing imaginable to their psyche. It's time for us to stop all this evacuation talk and just complete the voyage.
Yes, the first 7 watertight compartments are now flooded with frigid North Sea water, but it's time for us to stop being ruled by our fears and get back to our normally scheduled travel. We MUST open the shuffleboard courts on the lido deck.
Look at children's faces when they're in lifeboats. They're frightened. They're confused. They don't want to be there. Their parents don't want them there. We need to put them back on the boat, whose deck is now pitched at 90 degrees.

It's time to declare this sinking OVER.
Look, I too want to survive this sinking, but I look at how people insist on wearing constrictive life-vests and taking to life boats and I sympathize with those who wants to spend their time drilling holes in the hull. Better to show this ocean we don't fear it than to cower.
Do you know what a full evacuation of this sinking ship will DO to our scheduled arrival time?

The cure can't be worse than the *glub glub glub*

Wow, there is a lot of drowning on both sides of this evacuation issue.
I don’t think people shoving their children into lifeboats understand how cruel they’re being.

Lifeboats are terrifying. They indicate a ship about to sink. What a terrible message to send impressionable children.
We need to trust parents as the true experts. Parents understand exactly how much sea water their child can swallow, and what their child’s core body temperature should be. It isn’t our place to shove our opinions on drowning down their throats.
What you alarmists in your lifeboat bubbles don’t realize is ordinary people don’t care about life jackets or buoyancy or physics, and when you talk about those things you sound out-of-touch.

Lifeboat isn’t real life. Go outside. Touch grass. Or seaweed; whatever’s down there.
If lifeboats work, then why are so many people in lifeboats still getting cold and wet. Answer me that.

The pro-evac crowd needs to improve its messaging.
I might get myocarditis from this fascist lifeboat, so I will choose to die in the ocean rather than risk it.

Remember: I will die *with* seawater in my lungs, not *of* seawater in my lungs.

https://twitter.com/ThisMick?ref_src=tw ... 25378.html

I oppose measures to put out any rescue calls to nearby ships, when we don’t know the cost, and many survivors with means to pay might ride for free. I don’t want to create a culture of dependency and I fear many of the passengers in steerage will use their rescue to buy drugs.
Don’t call me anti-evac, that is a slur as bad as any that has been used in history.

Soon we will be forced to wear armbands to identify ourselves, like this one that I am wearing right now, which I made and put on myself, while I harass the crew, for trying to help.
These are the questions every evacuee of a sinking ship should be allowed to ask, at length, never moving until they are satisfied, regardless of their ignorance of evacuations or boatmaking, even if they're blocking the lifeboat line for everyone else.

https://twitter.com/G3NG0?ref_src=twsrc ... 25378.html

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:38 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:34 pm In case you're not on social media and you miss this going around.

Jazz this won't load for me.
That looks about right... :lol:

Post by JazzNU »

I'm not sure I've posted a FB link before, I assumed it would pre-populate the way the others do and not be any issues. Just in case there's a loading problem again. This is what that posts says.

Charcuterie Board of 2022

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:50 pm Via @juliusgoat and @threadreaderapp

Yes, the boat hit the iceberg, but putting the children in lifeboats is the most destructive thing imaginable to their psyche. It's time for us to stop all this evacuation talk and just complete the voyage.
While I agree with this, by now I am confused. Are we talking COVID crisis, or are we talking CLIMATE CHANGE?
You know, too many crises going one, really...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem