Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

Gary Trudeau, of Doonesbury, defined today what social media is for (paraphrasing the comic)
Facebook is to get misinformed and angry.
Instagram is all about envy.
TikTok is to show off
Twitter is for snark and self promotion.
What can you get out of all of these platforms? In the best case, the approval of strangers.
---0---
I can't find anything wrong with these definitions (says the old foggie that is in none of the platforms).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Out of the first three listed I don't use Facebook or Tik Tok. I look at cats on IG or if a tennis player has posted an InstaStory I'm interest in.

As for Twitter if you want news, sports or entertainment breaking news it's the best platform. There is a lot of self promotion right now but that's fairly recent.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:43 pm Gary Trudeau, of Doonesbury, defined today what social media is for (paraphrasing the comic)
TikTok is to show off
What can you get out of all of these platforms? In the best case, the approval of strangers.
---0---
I can't find anything wrong with these definitions (says the old foggie that is in none of the platforms).
What about YouTube?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:43 pm Gary Trudeau, of Doonesbury, defined today what social media is for (paraphrasing the comic)
TikTok is to show off
---0---
None of them are particularly accurate.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

My definition is that all 'social media' platforms are for desperate self promotion and showing off. It's the equivalent of walking around inside a shopping mall and yelling out "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! PLEASE LOOK AT ME! AND LOOK WHAT I LIKE!"

It gives everyone a stage to 'achieve' notoriety or 'fame'- to some degree. The infamous '15 minutes of fame' has unfortunately morphed into a hope of 15 YEARS of 'fame'.

And the more insecure one is, the more one will use it - and often, the more negative the effects will be. Adolescents are particularly fragile emotionally - and a lot of of adolescent depression and even suicides can be directly traced to their use of 'social media'.

Overall, we were all much better off without it.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 am
TikTok is to show off
---0---
None of them are particularly accurate.
I am going to make myself a geritol milk-shake ;)
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Deuce wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 am My definition is that all 'social media' platforms are for desperate self promotion and showing off. It's the equivalent of walking around inside a shopping mall and yelling out "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! PLEASE LOOK AT ME! AND LOOK WHAT I LIKE!"

It gives everyone a stage to 'achieve' notoriety or 'fame'- to some degree. The infamous '15 minutes of fame' has unfortunately morphed into a hope of 15 YEARS of 'fame'.

And the more insecure one is, the more one will use it - and often, the more negative the effects will be. Adolescents are particularly fragile emotionally - and a lot of of adolescent depression and even suicides can be directly traced to their use of 'social media'.

Are you on social media?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

TAT2 is kind of a social media as well.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Fastbackss wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:27 am
Deuce wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 am My definition is that all 'social media' platforms are for desperate self promotion and showing off. It's the equivalent of walking around inside a shopping mall and yelling out "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! PLEASE LOOK AT ME! AND LOOK WHAT I LIKE!"

Are you on social media?
I have a facebook account - only to access certain events which are inaccessible without an account. I never post anything on my account - my 'page', or 'wall', or whatever it's called, is blank, and has been from the outset.

But I know plenty of people who are active on the popular 'social medias', and I've talked with them about it. And I've seen what goes on there.
I've talked with psychologists and sociologists about 'social media'.
Most importantly, I've seen the social change that has come with the popularity of 'social media'. And I find it significantly negative.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... on/534198/

The original blueprint of facebook was to take as much advantage of people's insecurities and vulnerabilities as possible. Psychologically, it approached brilliance - devise an environment where people's appetite is insatiable; where the more attention ('likes', etc.) they get, the more they need...
Brilliant - but also incredibly selfish and harmful.
Once that blueprint proved 'successful' in getting people hooked, other 'social media' platforms copied it, naturally.
The users are viewed as commodities; as mere pawns in the game.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sean- ... 50228.html

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:40 pm TAT2 is kind of a social media as well.
KIND OF???!!! :shock: I have been busting my butt for a year and a half and all I get is KIND OF???!!!
(Joking).
We are completely social media; with a few exceptions, most of us have never seen each other in person, yet interact frequently here.
Still, boards are a fringe of social media. I am registered in two other boards: one for drones, and one for BMW's. The drone site has 140K members, the Bimmer site has 32K. Those numbers make them irrelevant and easy to patrol online. Us, with only 200 members, are basically a kindergarten in a small town.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:53 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:40 pm TAT2 is kind of a social media as well.
KIND OF???!!! :shock: I have been busting my butt for a year and a half and all I get is KIND OF???!!!
(Joking).
We are completely social media; with a few exceptions, most of us have never seen each other in person, yet interact frequently here.
Still, boards are a fringe of social media. I am registered in two other boards: one for drones, and one for BMW's. The drone site has 140K members, the Bimmer site has 32K. Those numbers make them irrelevant and easy to patrol online. Us, with only 200 members, are basically a kindergarten in a small town.
I think of our community as a boutique, that small shop where you can go and find exactly what you want - in this case intelligent conversation about tennis and other sports as well as current events. I don't subscribe to non tennis boards anymore. The two I subscribe to are full of young people who rarely watch tennis but have opinions about players that border, in some cases, on the unhinged or are downright sexist. h

I wonder how many of the members of the sites you mentioned are active?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:40 pm ...

I think of our community as a boutique, that small shop where you can go and find exactly what you want - in this case intelligent conversation about tennis and other sports as well as current events. I don't subscribe to non tennis boards anymore. The two I subscribe to are full of young people who rarely watch tennis but have opinions about players that border, in some cases, on the unhinged or are downright sexist. h

I wonder how many of the members of the sites you mentioned are active?
A boutique :thumbsup: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
The drone and Bimmer forums are as you say. Thousands of members but they are very specific in that we go there for technical issues. For example, I went into the Bimmer forum after I was unable to fix a problem with my car and did a web search, and I found these people, who have a lot of expertise. The drone forum was the same, just looking for very specific technical support.
But I gather that, keeping the volumes in perspective, they also have a small size of people that are there frequently and the rest simply signed up, found the info they needed and have not returned again. And will do so only when they have a new problem. I am that way with the drones forum. Once I found the info, I have not been there in a while.
Intelligent conversations there? A few in the bimmer forum, zero with the dronies.

Post by JazzNU »

Might want to think about filling up your cars, and containers if you use gas for other things, ASAP. Gas prices will surely keep increasing, with the potential to spike quickly in the coming days, with Putin losing his damn mind like this.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:55 am Might want to think about filling up your cars, and containers if you use gas for other things, ASAP. Gas prices will surely keep increasing, with the potential to spike quickly in the coming days, with Putin losing his damn mind like this.
Russia controls 10% of all the world's oil. Saudi Arabia, where his buddy MSB rules, a bit more than that. Oil will break the $100/BBl mark this week, for sure. If not tomorrow.
So yes, that new EV Hummer is looking a lot better these days.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:56 am
So yes, that new EV Hummer is looking a lot better these days.
A lot more has to happen before an EV looks anything approaching good to me. But a hybrid looks more appealing for sure.