Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:58 am
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:56 am
So yes, that new EV Hummer is looking a lot better these days.
A lot more has to happen before an EV looks anything approaching good to me. But a hybrid looks more appealing for sure.
You know what I meant ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

JazzNU wrote:
A lot more has to happen before an EV looks anything approaching good to me. But a hybrid looks more appealing for sure.
We’re on our second Prius and would like to switch soon to a Prius Prime. Except supply chain- barely any car availability. We’ll see.

Hybrids are great- over 50mpg with no change in driving behavior.

We just test drove the VW ID.4. 250 mile range. Not gonna happen until range increases and charging is faster and everywhere.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

MJ2004 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:00 am
JazzNU wrote:
We’re on our second Prius and would like to switch soon to a Prius Prime. Except supply chain- barely any car availability. We’ll see.

Hybrids are great- over 50mpg with no change in driving behavior.

We just test drove the VW ID.4. 250 mile range. Not gonna happen until range increases and charging is faster and everywhere.
Good to know.

And yeah. that 250 is yikes for me. When I pass the EV cars charging at the rest stops on the NJ Turkpike looking like they are there for a long slumber I just think, not in a million years. That's just not how you do a road trip to me, so the range has to be considerably more than it is on average before I give them a look.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I say: I want a BMW i3, FOR THE CITY. And keep my gasoline car for road trips.
Of course, I take no road trips in Colombia, and as long as the Colombian government charges me more for my electricity because of the area I live in, I am not ready for an EV.
Still, I use a lot of public transport and my legs down there (might fuel my car twice a year, really).

Post by JazzNU »

Not making light of what's happening, just unbelievable that a gaffe like this could happen, it doesn't even look real. If you can't even come close to seeing humor in a mistake in the coverage of the Invasion of Ukraine, this is one to skip altogether and I hope you don't take offense to me posting it.

► Show Spoiler

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I mean you have to laugh at that. Not hilarious that's funny but maybe sardonic laughter.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Pretty... tone deaf?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 pm I mean you have to laugh at that. Not hilarious that's funny but maybe sardonic laughter.
I chuckled in a shaking-my-head way, fully aware that I enjoy the luxury and privilege to do so. I hate that song, too.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

And in case you missed it, the H and T were already guessed...

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

That poor woman.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Meanwhile...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I am [M34] and my wife is [F29]. She has asked me to pay her almost $50,000 to have our child, and I'm not quite sure what to do.

I have known/been dating my wife for 6 years, and we have been spiritually married for 2 years. We are not legally married, although at this point we are essentially common law.

We are both high earners (both earning over $175k a year after tax). We purchased our home together and we have agreed to split the finances 50-50. We paid for our wedding, honeymoon, everything 50-50, although I did pay for the cost of our rings and her engagement ring. Our mortgage payments were 50-50 and we comfortably own our home now, so much of our income goes to savings, investments, home improvements and discretionary spending.

Because of our incomes, we felt it would be best to keep our finances separate - we're both highly independent people and both very career driven. It's part of the reason I'm so attracted to her - she's amazing at what she does, and I'm so proud to be able to introduce her as my wife and explain what she does.

Unfortunately our first two years of marriage were hampered by COVID and lockdowns. We would have loved to have traveled and saved up quite a bit in order to do this. A couple months ago we had a talk and decided it might be a good time to have kids instead of continuously waiting for better or safer travel conditions. Without too serious discussion about it, we decided to stop using birth control and let things happen as they will.

Yesterday I came home and my wife was on the phone. She seemed like she was in a hurry to end her conversation and tried to evade my question when I asked who she was talking to. It was her sister. They don't talk a lot, so that was a bit weird. She still works from home, so she continued to do some work, then we had dinner and watched some news. Regular, pleasant evening. Then she says she wants to have a serious talk, and asks me to make us some tea and meet her upstairs at her work desk.

I make the tea, bring it up, and she starts talking financials.

Her work place allows for maternity leave for up to a year, but only provides 50% of her salary for up to 6 months. The remaining 6 months is unpaid. She was very direct, and said that while her insurance would cover the vast majority of hospital related costs during pregnancy and childbirth, taking a 6 month break from work would cost her almost $50,000 since her pay would be cut in half. She is asking me to compensate her for that $50,000, in addition to agreeing to split any related but unexpected costs to pregnancy and childbirth. Her stance is that she is doing something for us to start a family, but it is not a true 50-50 split if she is expected to take a financial hit for it and I am not, given that our finances are separate. She had a printed list of expectations in terms of what she expected financially, listed some things that her insurance may not cover.

I see the logic in that, but I am really very turned off by this because she is essentially asking me to pay her to have our child (or children?).

She saw my hesitation and just doubled down. While her ideal is to return to work after 6 months, she says it's a real possibility that she may require more time off and decide, as things happen, to take up to a year off. So, she had another plan drafted for that. For the first 6 months, her work will give her 50% of her salary, and I would compensate her for the rest, but for the next 6 months, since her work would not compensate her, and because this loss is something she is doing for the family, she is "comfortable splitting the loss of her income", and only asking me for 50% of her salary instead of 100% for the second 6 month period, and she will take the loss of 50% of her salary. The idea I guess is that both of us "suffer" half the loss of income for the second 6 month period. However, if she takes 7 to 11 months off, any months after the 6th can be prorated.

She expressed that she anticipates and hopes to return to work in 6 months, but that she wants a contingency plan in the event that she requires a year off. She said that taking more than a year off is something she is very unlikely to do as it would put her job at risk, but that she's open to exploring a third plan with me if I feel that it's necessary.

There are also detailed notes about how she wants to keep housework split, with plans to start saving for both childcare and additional housekeeper expenses for at least the first four years. I kid you not, it's a 16 page ring binder that she handed me with detailed notes, some explanations, and lists of expenses.

But the immediate and essential element here is that, she wants me to pay her $50,000 - $100,000 to compensate for the loss of her salary for 6-12 months as a result of her having our child.

I really do not know how to process this. My first thought is shock, because, despite our salaries, $50k-$100k is a lot to demand. The idea of a payment plan to have a child is just gross. And many couples manage to do this without paying their wives to have children. But then, I suppose most couples are married legally and a loss to one person's income is a loss to everyone. So in our situation, it makes logical sense, but there's something so transactional about it that puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I didn't fight it or argue, and she's basically allowing me to think about it, but says if having kids is something we're going to do, she wants to write up an agreement and go to a lawyer (splitting the cost of that is ALSO in the binder).

What really hits me here is that she was talking to her sister on the same day she brings this up to me. Why on that day? On the same day she mentions this to me? They do not talk often. I am partially excited and scared that the timing of this means that she is actually currently pregnant and that my response to her will have real consequences if I disagree with her. She has previously had an abortion, and only told me after the fact (almost a year later), because it was early into dating. I was shocked to learn that when I did, but supported her choice as it's her body, and at the time having kids would have been the wrong decision for us. Still, the fact that she makes decisions like that so independently has me incredibly cautious right now.

I checked trash cans and such for a pregnancy test but didn't find anything. She also asked for tea instead of coffee, but maybe that is overthinking it because she likes both. I want to ask her if she's pregnant, but we both had busy days today, and I was processing and it didn't even occur to me on the day we first discussed this. Definitely a conversation to have, but I don't know whether that should influence my response here.

tl;dr: My wife and I both earn over $175k a year and we are considering having children. She is asking me to compensate her for 6 to 12 months as compensation for the time she will have to take off to have our child. I do not know whether she is pregnant.

https://www.rareddit.com/r/relationship ... nts/t5n70s