With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by Suliso »

Whoever wins Doha will be #2 in the race. In the rankings Kontaveit and Sakkari would rise to #3, Swiatek to #4 and Ostapenko to #9.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That was a MM? Sorry, I am lost.
So, what do we do? She gets the points but she has not won a tournament so we demote her to: which place in the ranking?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:That was a MM? Sorry, I am lost.
So, what do we do? She gets the points but she has not won a tournament so we demote her to: which place in the ranking?
Nah the rankings are right. People just don’t have a lot of respect for anything but a title. Consistency is just less flash. We are very reductive about sports. Close doesn’t count for much. (For most people, it counts to me.)

I don’t know what MM is either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:46 pm That was a MM? Sorry, I am lost.
I don't know what MM means. It was a WTA250 in Rabat, Morocco.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

3mlm wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:46 pm That was a MM? Sorry, I am lost.
I don't know what MM means.
^ It's a brand of chocolate candy, I believe.
Though I have no idea what that has to do with tennis.
(I, too, do not know what MM refers to in a tennis context.)

Most people would have no problem with Raducanu and Leylah being #3 - because they were in the Final of a high profile tournament, with one of them winning it. And they continue to get a lot of media attention. The fact that Raducanu has done nothing since the U.S. Open doesn't matter to these people.
And they criticize Sakkari being #3 due to consistent results.

These people understand Hollywood - they don't understand tennis.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

MM = Mickey Mouse. Weak and unimportant tournament.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Really? I always think of Mickey Mouse as THE iconic cartoon character! Find it odd that people would use him as a comparison for something unimportant;)
Mary, queen of shots
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Liamvalid wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:02 am Really? I always think of Mickey Mouse as THE iconic cartoon character! Find it odd that people would use him as a comparison for something unimportant;)
Not so much unimportant but more like 'lacking depth'.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

If the Sakk had a better SF record (5-15) they might have hit no1 by now :D
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by meganfernandez »

the Moz wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:42 pm If the Sakk had a better SF record (5-15) they might have hit no1 by now :D
At least she would probably have one or two more titles. Reaching #3 in the world with one title, three years ago, can't be normal. But she earned with consistency, so hopefully she can take the next step.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

Swiatek chasing Barty during the clay season could be fun. I don't think she can catch her before the French, but I think she can put #1 in play at the French is she continues to win a lot before then.

The gap right now is 2,204. Barty is defending 2,410 points before RG and Swiatek is defending 1,085. Barty loses 1,000 points for not defending her Miami title. If Iga wins Miami, the gap will be 1,135.

They are both defending a lot on clay before the French: Barty 1,410 and Swiatek 1,020.

Will be interesting to see Swiatek's schedule for clay events. She played two last year and did well. Will she play a third, or save herself for the French? I think she only plays two again. Barty played four last year, including Charleston. She won't do that again, so that's less pressure on Swiatek to play more herself. I think she will focus on defending her points and be fresh for the French.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

the Moz wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:27 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:02 am Really? I always think of Mickey Mouse as THE iconic cartoon character! Find it odd that people would use him as a comparison for something unimportant;)
Not so much unimportant but more like 'lacking depth'.
Thanks to Suliso for the MM clarification.
In S. America, the "MM" moniker as a sign of "weak" came not from the cartoons, but from the Mickey Mouse WATCHES. Remember those? They had a MM and the hands were his. They were mostly for kids and obviously were cheaply made.
I always "like" when people talk about MM tournaments. Go ahead, win one. The number of very good players that retire with 3-4 total tournaments is not small. And there is something to be said about making the SF's a lot of tournaments. it means you have won a lot of matches.
So, I disagree with the poster of that tweet.
Move on to MIA.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:58 pm Swiatek chasing Barty during the clay season could be fun. I don't think she can catch her before the French, but I think she can put #1 in play at the French is she continues to win a lot before then.

The gap right now is 2,204. Barty is defending 2,410 points before RG and Swiatek is defending 1,085. Barty loses 1,000 points for not defending her Miami title. If Iga wins Miami, the gap will be 1,135.

They are both defending a lot on clay before the French: Barty 1,410 and Swiatek 1,020.

Will be interesting to see Swiatek's schedule for clay events. She played two last year and did well. Will she play a third, or save herself for the French? I think she only plays two again. Barty played four last year, including Charleston. She won't do that again, so that's less pressure on Swiatek to play more herself. I think she will focus on defending her points and be fresh for the French.
Thanks for the breakdown. I say that, if Iga knows these numbers, she will go for it. You have to admit, #1 is important, especially if she were to clinch it with a RG title. So a good SF run at MIA (I don't see her winning three straight MS1000's), plus good showings at Rome, Madrid and RG could do it. And she would be Poland's first ever #1. That would count for a lot.

ATP & WTA rankings

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:58 pm Swiatek chasing Barty during the clay season could be fun. I don't think she can catch her before the French, but I think she can put #1 in play at the French is she continues to win a lot before then.

Thanks for the breakdown. I say that, if Iga knows these numbers, she will go for it. You have to admit, #1 is important, especially if she were to clinch it with a RG title. So a good SF run at MIA (I don't see her winning three straight MS1000's), plus good showings at Rome, Madrid and RG could do it. And she would be Poland's first ever #1. That would count for a lot.
Very interesting, first Polish #1. Question is, does that create more pressure at RG, to play for the title and #1 and Polish history? Would she want to avoid all that? She’s young and has plenty of time. I bet she will be #1 at some point. Honestly I think she shouldn’t go for all that this spring. Prioritize RG.

But she knows what brings out her best tennis. Maybe it’s playing a lot and exactly these kind of goals.

Would love to see her play Barty in Rome or Madrid. Barty would slice to Iga’s BH all day. Waiting for Ashkor’s court-speed evaluation on the matchup, now. :)