With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by ponchi101 »

A lot of big names missing. This is not a revolution, this is downright anarchy :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

Swiatek has close to half as many points as Barty had at the end of 2021 and the clay court season hasn't started. I wouldn't be surprised if she clinched her spot in the WTA Finals by Wimbledon.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Lots of career-high rankings this week on the WTA:

1 Iga Swiatek
3 Paula Badosa
8 Danielle Collins
13 Jessica Pegula
15 Coco Gauff
42 Anhelina Kalinina

Naomi Osaka back up to 35, Sofia Kenin down to 148

Daria Saville started the year ranked 610 and is back up to 129
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am surprised by Badosa. I did not know she had climbed that high and I thought that not defending IW would drop her.
Good for her.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 pm I am surprised by Badosa. I did not know she had climbed that high and I thought that not defending IW would drop her.
Good for her.
Same with Cam Norrie. Didn’t defend his Indian Wells title but has climbed into the top ten this week!
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 pm I am surprised by Badosa. I did not know she had climbed that high and I thought that not defending IW would drop her.
Good for her.
I think Badosa still has her IW points from winning last year because it was in October. She had 4500 points before IW this year and has 4970 now. Same with Norrie.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I thought you got a PR if you were coming back from injury but I guess I thought wrong.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:34 pm

I thought you got a PR if you were coming back from injury but I guess I thought wrong.
Is one still eligible for a protected ranking if one is in a perpetual state of injury?
I would think that part of the definition of 'injured' would include some derivative of the word 'temporary'....

Perhaps various injuries to various body parts can fall under the definition of 'temporary'... but when included as a whole, it seems that this particular player can accurately be defined as perpetually - or permanently - injured.

Again - I'll believe that she's playing a tournament when I actually see her participating in a tournament match. And even if that occurs, history strongly suggests that the participation would not endure very long.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by 3mlm »

Andreescu played in 13 tournaments in 2021 finishing with a 17-13 record and ranking of #22. The last tournament she played was Indian Wells in October 2021. By the last week of April she would be coming back from injury after being out-of-competition for at least 26 weeks so would qualify for Special Ranking under WTA rules, assuming she hasn't participated in any unallowed tennis exhibitions (or any other organized sports competition) during her out-of-competition period and has filed all required paperwork. She would have to meet all other entry requirements including timely application for entry or wildcard.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

3mlm wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:01 am Andreescu played in 13 tournaments in 2021 finishing with a 17-13 record and ranking of #22...
We must remember that that ranking largely included important portions of her good 6 months from 2019, due to the COVID-related very messed up ranking system.
In reality in 2021, aside from making the Final of Miami (where, losing 3-6, 0-4 to Barty, she twisted her ankle and retired from the match, injured), and making it to the Semis of what was essentially the Aussie Open consolation tournament, she did nothing of note, losing in the 2nd round of the Aussie Open, and was out in the 1st round at Wimbledon and Roland Garros.

Had the very controversial messed up ranking system not been put in place, she would not be getting this protected ranking under the regular ranking system.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by 3mlm »

Deuce wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:01 am
3mlm wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:01 am Andreescu played in 13 tournaments in 2021 finishing with a 17-13 record and ranking of #22...
We must remember that that ranking largely included important portions of her good 6 months from 2019, due to the COVID-related very messed up ranking system.
In reality in 2021, aside from making the Final of Miami (where, losing 3-6, 0-4 to Barty, she twisted her ankle and retired from the match, injured), and making it to the Semis of what was essentially the Aussie Open consolation tournament, she did nothing of note, losing in the 2nd round of the Aussie Open, and was out in the 1st round at Wimbledon and Roland Garros.

Had the very controversial messed up ranking system not been put in place, she would not be getting this protected ranking under the regular ranking system.
Agreed her protected ranking wouldn't be #22 without the special Covid rankings but her protected ranking based solely on 2021 points earned (1378) would still likely be top 40 which would gain entry into most tournaments. Players currently ranked in the top 40 (singles not race) have as few as 1211 points (Golubic and Alexandrova).
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is quite the coincidence.
Now. He is on his way. WHEN does he break into the top 5? I would say he is the favorite at Barcelona now.
I say after RG.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm okay with that. It's Badosa, who I like, being ranked #2 next week that drives me up the wall.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein