Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:09 pm here's 51

I love that Steffi (and Andre) still play routinely. It shows that for them, and especially her, it was not just a job.
And she must be one of the most fit 51's on the whole world. Plus Sabatini (she also still looks great).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 pm
Clooney was also on the Facts of Life. Jo's boyfriend.
Uh, no he wasn't. Her boyfriend that is. Definitely on Facts of Life. But he was the handyman and basically just all of their friend. They may have gotten together if he stuck around, but even that wasn't certain. I think he kissed Blair in one episode, not Jo.

My mind if filled with useless entertainment trivia. 😊
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 pm
Suliso wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:00 pm ...

Bogota must be very expensive then... As for lifestyle 15k per year (after any taxes by the way!) will not allow constantly flying around the world, new car etc. Will allow all the normal things. Two bedroom apartment in Riga will cost you about 300 $/month in maintenance costs (property taxes, heating, electricity, water, internet).
Serious, curious question. With 15K a year, can you play tennis twice a week in Riga?
I know probably I can ski in the street outside my $300/month flat, but the tennis is a must.
I don't really know for sure, but last I heard indoor tennis courts go for 20-30 $/hour and outdoor 10-15 $ (4 months only). How much is it in Bogota?

Skiing would be a lot more expensive than that since we have no mountains and you'd have to fly somewhere. Albeit I don't know too many 60+ year old guys who're still up for downhill skiing.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Bogota is about $12, plus another $12 for a hitting pro. Since you will still be working in Geneva, I won't have anybody to hit with ;)
No 60+ yo going downhill? Where I ski, we have a club called THE GREY WOLVES. MIINIMUM age is 50 (so I am in it) and I regularly ski with 70+. The highest point of the mountain is called, of course, THE PEAK, and they have a challenge called THE PEAK AT 80. It means being 80 yo and skiing that face down. The plaque that commemorates those people is pretty full.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:55 pm No 60+ yo going downhill? Where I ski, we have a club called THE GREY WOLVES. MIINIMUM age is 50 (so I am in it) and I regularly ski with 70+. The highest point of the mountain is called, of course, THE PEAK, and they have a challenge called THE PEAK AT 80. It means being 80 yo and skiing that face down. The plaque that commemorates those people is pretty full.
Impressed!!! But then again I'm not a skier, grew up in flatlands and only moved to Switzerland at 31. I'm reasonably good at cross country skiing, but haven't done that for a while either...
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:55 pm Bogota is about $12, plus another $12 for a hitting pro. Since you will still be working in Geneva, I won't have anybody to hit with ;)
No 60+ yo going downhill? Where I ski, we have a club called THE GREY WOLVES. MIINIMUM age is 50 (so I am in it) and I regularly ski with 70+. The highest point of the mountain is called, of course, THE PEAK, and they have a challenge called THE PEAK AT 80. It means being 80 yo and skiing that face down. The plaque that commemorates those people is pretty full.
My mother learned to ski and snowboard in her 60s. She actually gave lessons, too. This was on the tiny hills of Southern Indiana, where you drive to the top of the "mountain." But she went skiing in the Alps when she was 70. She's 80 now and renovating a house mostly by herself.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Ponchi - It's actually absolutely possible to retire in Latvia. I looked into this for my parents precisely for cost reasons, since there are plenty of Russian speakers there so it would be easier for them. I think you only need to show funds of EUR 680 per month. (They decided it's too cold... and every other place is too hot... really, they just want NYC prices to be cut in half and then they can have a happy retirement..)

I think beyond housing, though, you may find that the overall cost of living is lower or on par in Bogota. Spain is actually a really good option as well and has similar rules around retirement, although i believe the minimum funds requirement is higher.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know how I would handle moving to such a place. The language barrier would be extreme.
Colombia is fine. But, as Drop and I have talked about: migrating within Latin America is like changing rooms in the Titanic. :lol:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:17 am Ponchi - It's actually absolutely possible to retire in Latvia. I looked into this for my parents precisely for cost reasons, since there are plenty of Russian speakers there so it would be easier for them. I think you only need to show funds of EUR 680 per month. (They decided it's too cold... and every other place is too hot... really, they just want NYC prices to be cut in half and then they can have a happy retirement..)
If you're still looking for your parents, you can try Philly over NYC to cut costs. Northeast Philly has a large Russian and Ukrainian community. Plenty of Russian speakers and also many services offered in Russian.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I myself sometimes dream of retiring in Southern Europe (Andalucia for example) just for climatic reasons, but would I really be so adaptable when older even if money no issue I'm not sure.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:53 am I myself sometimes dream of retiring in Southern Europe (Andalucia for example) just for climatic reasons, but would I really be so adaptable when older even if money no issue I'm not sure.
Since you've essentially done it more than once before successfully, I think it wouldn't be that hard. At least that's my perception for myself in such a situation. For my parents, the first immigration experiencе moving to the US without much purpose (with 5 years in Texas, a huge culture shock) was so difficult, I think they are just traumatized.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:35 am
mmmm8 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:17 am Ponchi - It's actually absolutely possible to retire in Latvia. I looked into this for my parents precisely for cost reasons, since there are plenty of Russian speakers there so it would be easier for them. I think you only need to show funds of EUR 680 per month. (They decided it's too cold... and every other place is too hot... really, they just want NYC prices to be cut in half and then they can have a happy retirement..)
If you're still looking for your parents, you can try Philly over NYC to cut costs. Northeast Philly has a large Russian and Ukrainian community. Plenty of Russian speakers and also many services offered in Russian.
They don't like anywhere in the US except New York (no, there's not really a reason).

But it wasn't just money, I think quality of life in Europe (not everywhere) would be higher too.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:06 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:53 am I myself sometimes dream of retiring in Southern Europe (Andalucia for example) just for climatic reasons, but would I really be so adaptable when older even if money no issue I'm not sure.
Since you've essentially done it more than once before successfully, I think it wouldn't be that hard. At least that's my perception for myself in such a situation. For my parents, the first immigration experiencе moving to the US without much purpose (with 5 years in Texas, a huge culture shock) was so difficult, I think they are just traumatized.
Perhaps you're right. Right now I'd move even as far as Colombia if that made sense for some reason, but I'm 43 not 63 and you're even younger so can we really tell how we'd feel then?

Where in Russia did your family move from? I guess from any place in the 90-ties Texas would have been a huge change...
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

We are from Nizhniy Novgorod, the fourth largest city. Any sizeable European city to Texas would be a huge shock, even today, although the world does feel much smaller and more mobile today