With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:22 pm I should have written something about Halep :)
I ended up doing your dirty work this time. :)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:21 pm Kasatkina lost, which is a bigger upset to me than Halep
Not sure why she was playing today. It was suggested it would be a Tuesday match when it was announced. Not surprising she'd lose after Daria Saville was running her around the court every which way on Saturday afternoon. It was tiring just watching that second set let alone playing it.

Add one more to the list of those that win a title the week before a slam and lose in the first round.

Post by nelslus »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:21 pm Kasatkina lost, which is a bigger upset to me than Halep
Truly, I don't think I'll look at any result at this tournament as an upset anymore. Like many, I figured either upset COULD happen with these matches- among many potential upsets. However, for me, Kasatkina made the worst decision for almost all players- playing a tournament and a lot of matches the week before a Slam. I also figured that, albeit not by a HUGE factor, Snigur was more of a scrub than Dart.

Clearly, my post here is the very definition of picking nits. (Speaking of picking nits, bye-bye Teichmann.)

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:35 pm
Not sure why she was playing today. It was suggested it would be a Tuesday match when it was announced. Not surprising she'd lose after Daria Saville was running her around the court every which way on Saturday afternoon. It was tiring just watching that second set let alone playing it.

Add one more to the list of those that win a title the week before a slam and lose in the first round.
I wish the Slams could just find a way to let the tournament finalists before a Slam get an extra day off. I get this could then complicate things, and perhaps force these players potentially to play two singles matches in a row if they win their first round matches, depending on the tournament draws? Bottom line is- almost always- if you want to be a Slam contender, don't play a tournament before a Slam.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kasatkina played last week. Sure. She won. Sure. She played 4 matches.
But she played 2 matches combined the two previous weeks, at Toronto and Cincy. It is not as if she has a load of matches lately.
She simply fluctuates wildly, and plays her best tennis at smaller events, because it is not as if Darriet Hart was a killer draw. And if she can't recover from one match after having one day off, well, she would have lost earlier last week.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:51 pm BMH double-bageled Bondar.
I saw that and was kind of surprised. I had wanted to see that match to see if Haddad Maia continued her hot streak.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It was ridiculous to schedule Kasatkina today.
It was ridiculous for Kasatkina to play the week before a Slam.

I think Mannarino, who won in W-S, is scheduled for tomorrow.

I don't know who to blame.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Galan is up 3-0 on Stefanos first set. Apostolos isn't there?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Christian's right leg is so heavily taped! It looks like the leg of someone who has had knee surgery.She and Kontaveit are tied 3 all first set.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:54 pm Kasatkina played last week. Sure. She won. Sure. She played 4 matches.
But she played 2 matches combined the two previous weeks, at Toronto and Cincy. It is not as if she has a load of matches lately.
She simply fluctuates wildly, and plays her best tennis at smaller events, because it is not is if Darriet Hart was a killer draw. And if she can't recover from one match after having one day off, well, she would have lost earlier last week.
She won the tournament before Toronto as well. And she got to the semis at the French. She doesn't fluctuate as much as you're making her out to, which is why she's back in the Top 10. It

And it's not just the limited time off, it's the travel as well. There's a reason this happens so often when they aren't given the two days.

Harriet Dart may not be the toughest draw, but she was able to get practice time on court versus Kontaveit yesterday and likely someone decent on Saturday as well, better preparation than travel and a likely rushed solo practice that Daria got.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Speaking of Daria's Saville is out to Ruse.

The schedule wasn't fair to Kasatkina or Saville.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About Kasatkina still. If she hadn't played last week, she would be coming in with almost two weeks of no competitive tennis.
Look at Halep; the total opposite scenario. She won Toronto, decided it was enough tennis as preparation for the USO. She came in rested, with a big win. Yet, out.
The losing finalist at Toronto did the same, and today crushed the best opponent of the three we are talking about. This thing about having to come rested depends on the player.
And yes, Saville made Kasatkina run. A 4&4 match, slightly under 2 hours. It was not a titanic struggle.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:14 pm It was ridiculous to schedule Kasatkina today.
It was ridiculous for Kasatkina to play the week before a Slam.

I think Mannarino, who won in W-S, is scheduled for tomorrow.

I don't know who to blame.
This is why I'm not pleased with the US Open. Half the finalists are scheduled for Tuesday (both men and Sasnovich) and the other half today. Do it for all 6 and eliminate the problem.

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:54 pm Kasatkina played last week. Sure. She won. Sure. She played 4 matches.
She simply fluctuates wildly, and plays her best tennis at smaller events, because it is not as if Darriet Hart was a killer draw. And if she can't recover from one match after having one day off, well, she would have lost earlier last week.
Tell all of that to Saville, now, too, brother. She's out. :)

I'm telling you- almost always, don't play the tournament before any Slam.

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:30 pmThis is why I'm not pleased with the US Open. Half the finalists are scheduled for Tuesday (both men and Sasnovich) and the other half today. Do it for all 6 and eliminate the problem.
Slams have done this through the years- most definitely the US Open. In addition to what I've said before- another way that the Slams can be quite players-unfriendly.