Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:23 pm Can someone explain to me antisemitism from a non religious point of view? We're on vacation hiking in Albania and met two different Israeli couples. I just don't see how they differ much from regular white Europeans/Americans by looks or culture.

Usually bias arises against those who can't help standing out, but not in this case.
I don't think there is such a thing as anti-semitism if there is no religious animosity. The whole thing stems from ancient, biblical quarrels, which are truly meaningless in today's ambience.
I would be as confused as you seem to be.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Only took about 16 (or more?) years, but I finally have meet another TATer :) Glennharman is in Nova Scotia scouting one of our local university's music departments and we met up for lunch at Canada's "best" fish and chips - John's lunch in Dartmouth. And met his dog too :)
:steven:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:12 pm
Suliso wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:23 pm Can someone explain to me antisemitism from a non religious point of view? We're on vacation hiking in Albania and met two different Israeli couples. I just don't see how they differ much from regular white Europeans/Americans by looks or culture.

Usually bias arises against those who can't help standing out, but not in this case.
I don't think there is such a thing as anti-semitism if there is no religious animosity. The whole thing stems from ancient, biblical quarrels, which are truly meaningless in today's ambience.
I would be as confused as you seem to be.
Here, there are strong Jewish cultures/communities. I'm guessing it could refer to hate toward them from people who know nothing about the religion.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:32 pm Only took about 16 (or more?) years, but I finally have meet another TATer :) Glennharman is in Nova Scotia scouting one of our local university's music departments and we met up for lunch at Canada's "best" fish and chips - John's lunch in Dartmouth. And met his dog too :)
Our regards to Glenn. His posts are missed.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:32 pm Only took about 16 (or more?) years, but I finally have meet another TATer :) Glennharman is in Nova Scotia scouting one of our local university's music departments and we met up for lunch at Canada's "best" fish and chips - John's lunch in Dartmouth. And met his dog too :)
Ponchi beat me to it but I miss Glenn too. I wish him the best.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I'll let him know :) He's definitely considering temporarily or permanently relocating up here... especially depending on how election results go. But he seems to be doing very good from what I can tell!
:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The winters are the only reason I've never seriously looked into relocating to Canada. I love the Quebec City area and that is where real winter lives.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Listen with the sound on.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:44 pm Listen with the sound on.

I sure hope that was recorded from a drone, and not a boat - because a boat getting that close to them would be extremely dangerous to the dolphins.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:42 pm The winters are the only reason I've never seriously looked into relocating to Canada. I love the Quebec City area and that is where real winter lives.
Winters provide a perfect contrast to summers, helping us to appreciate our summers more. Yin and Yang...
I wouldn't be so keen about the hurricanes in the Maritimes, though...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Uhm, this person needs a bit more research.
In SPAIN (not all hispanic countries), the FIRST born was traditionally names JOSE MARIA (Joseph Mary) if male, MARIA JOSE if female. This, of course, due to Catholic "traditions".
In hispanic countries, naming the first born MALE after the father is not so strict. I have my dad's name, but I am the third of three brothers.
Also, individuality about names in hispanic countries is not the same. For example: we don't go for "uncommon" names; here in Colombia, I would guess they go by 15 names, and use combinations. As you can tell from some previous posts, Maria Camila is like super common (I know two, and two Camilos).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It's not just countries with Catholic tradition that have naming conventions that appear unusual to outsiders.

I was named after both of my grandmothers but my mother wanted me to be called by her mother's name which is my second name. She was livid when she found out that in the US you are called by your first name. She was from the Bahamas.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That's interesting :thumbsup:
It is the reason Spaniards use the mother's last name; so you are PEPE MARTINEZ UCHIRRISBIETA, while dad is PEPE MARTINEZ ZUBISARRETA. I bet PCB and RBA's dads have the same name.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »