Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:27 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:34 am Disturbing Fact: For some bizarre reason, Andrew Tate popped up in my Twitter feed for the first time ever. I was a bit alarmed by a few of the horse racing folks who follow him. But then again, followers don't necessarily agree with or endorse the people they follow.

Still... That man is a pig.
Lauren Boebert showed up in mine several times and so I muted her. People who say Twitter is exactly the same are lying or blind. This ish is intentional.
I'm curious... Why mute instead of just blocking and being rid of them (hopefully)?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:17 am
I'm curious... Why mute instead of just blocking and being rid of them (hopefully)?
Muting someone gets rid of them as well, but they don't know it, which is my preference with crazies unless I was getting legitimately harassed. In this case, her Tweets just randomly started showing up in my Timeline. Muting solves that issue. If I was worried about actual interaction or someone sending me DMs, then I would definitely block them.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:14 am
I went all the way.
Impressive. And educational.
My favourite is the 'faceless fish'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The faceless fish shocked me too! What a fascinating "deep dive" that was.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Some of you may be interested in this.
I don't know if everyone will be able to watch it - it may depend on where you live and the access that PBS gives to different countries... but it is marked as 'Available To Watch Now'...

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/doc ... as-brisas/

Here is the description:
"In Venezuela, amidst a backdrop of poverty, murder, and corruption, the El Sistema youth orchestra offers children hope and the opportunity to pursue a life of art in spite of the harshness of the society around them. Yet the country’s spiraling collapse and political repression threatens the musicians’ dreams of a better life."
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:12 pm Since this is random random.
For reasons that have nothing to do with my health, I haven't had a drink in a month. And you know all those articles and studies about how quitting alcohol is really good? Those people that go a month without alcohol and feel much better, lose weight, get better sleep patterns and a whole lot of other benefits?
Well, (expletive). I feel exactly the same, I haven't lost any weight (there is none to lose, anyway) and I see nothing better going on.
So, as far as this one-man data-sample is concerned: drink on. Moderately, of course.
Make it a 2-man (2-person) sample. Tried it a couple of years ago. Same result.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

But did you feel in some way bad before? I think that's the key :D

I could drop my already miniscule alcohol consumption (one drink per week perhaps), but I already feel good. Not overweight, sleep just fine...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:52 pm But did you feel in some way bad before? I think that's the key :D

I could drop my already miniscule alcohol consumption (one drink per week perhaps), but I already feel good. Not overweight, sleep just fine...
No. Granted. It is not as if I was having a terrible time, or my health was in dire straits. My sole problem remains the same and all issues in my life stem from it.
But when I read those articles it is always as if some panacea will be dropped on you: "Oh, I feel more energetic, I lost weight, blah blah blah".
Like you, my alcohol consumption is not major. I will have a beer on Sunday watching a football game, maybe another on Friday watching the NBA. As you hint, a highly unscientific datum. But, it is the sole datum I can provide. :beers:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:14 am
This is fantastic. I wonder how long it takes for the mammals who dive over a mile to get there, they're doing it on one breath.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:52 pm But did you feel in some way bad before? I think that's the key :D

My general health is fine, but things like stress level, sleep amount etc. weren't great (still aren't tbh). I was mostly looking to see if there'd be an effect on energy level or weight... there wasn't. Of course, I don't drink a lot, but it's a bit more than one drink a week.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I didn't put this in the 'Sports' section because I don't consider UFC to be a sport. It is basically the equivalent of the similarly disgusting circus show that is WWE 'wrestling' - the UFC is just more violent.

I have always considered Dana White to be a low life. He has a big and vulgar mouth. The way that he treats people and talks about people shows very clearly that respect is not an element of his life at all.

Unfortunately, he's been able to get away with his ugly and despicable behaviour for far too long. Because he's 'famous', he's gotten a free pass, as 'famous people' tend to get in this dysfunctional society.
Until now.

Now he has done something (striking his wife) that people are finally holding him accountable for. And his track record for disrespectful behaviour is finally being highlighted.
It's about time.
In this article, his own mother says that he is "not a good person" - although she conveniently absolves herself of all responsibility for the way her son turned out.
She had a book to sell, as well - and controversy sells, of course - so that is part of it. But even without his mother's input, assessed by his own actions, Dana White is a disgusting low life...

Dana White's Behaviour...

R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I can take WWE. I have never watched UFC.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:50 am I can take WWE. I have never watched UFC.
Because I've worked a lot with children, and because I view children as being especially vulnerable to influence, I have a tendency to look at things in terms of their effect on children. And the WWE has an absolutely horrible influence on children. And they do it deliberately - because it makes them financially rich (and morally bankrupt). Nothing justifies using kids like this for your own selfish benefit. It's completely inexcusable.
That's why I have absolutely zero respect for it.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

What am I missing? There should only be one answer if the pattern holds no? Unless of course he named the boy Scott...