Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Owendonovan United States of America

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:53 pm Alcohol sales have skyrocketed since the pandemic hit. I saw a lot more posts about people trying to do a Dry January this year.
My dry January has turned into dry February as well. I prefer to cocktail it outside, so until it's warm enough......
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:53 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:53 pm Alcohol sales have skyrocketed since the pandemic hit. I saw a lot more posts about people trying to do a Dry January this year.
My dry January has turned into dry February as well. I prefer to cocktail it outside, so until it's warm enough......
I can't wait for the day I will be able to use that sentence. :clap:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

There is a weekly #becausemiami podcast that Dan LeBatard and Billy Corben (filmmaker not lead singer of Smashing Pumpkins) do.

I have no affiliation with Miami but I listen to more than half of them - and the grift they detail is unreal. Always makes me wonder how pervasive it is in other local governments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fastbackss wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:48 pm There is a weekly #becausemiami podcast that Dan LeBatard and Billy Corben (filmmaker not lead singer of Smashing Pumpkins) do.

I have no affiliation with Miami but I listen to more than half of them - and the grift they detail is unreal. Always makes me wonder how pervasive it is in other local governments
In my area it would be the Republican party of Long Island (Nassau County and Suffolk County). I can't speak for upstate NY where there is also a strong Republican presence.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. About "beautiful".
Imagine you are a diver, and imagine this thing is 10 Mts across in size, and coming at you.
You'd pull your knife out and commit hara-kiri under water. It is beautiful because of the small size. Otherwise, this thing would be terrifying.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 am "“It just saddens me to see so many of our strong butch women giving up their womanhood to be a man,” one friend said."

Those strong butch women are actually men, not strong butch women. It saddens me those lesbians can't see that. I expect more from my community than that kind of short sightedness. They still have Martina. 8-)
This was from the script of the 2006 version of the L Word (the article is also from 2006). I'd like to think views on trans people have progressed a bit since then especially among LBTQ+ people
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:04 pm
Fastbackss wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:48 pm There is a weekly #becausemiami podcast that Dan LeBatard and Billy Corben (filmmaker not lead singer of Smashing Pumpkins) do.

In my area it would be the Republican party of Long Island (Nassau County and Suffolk County). I can't speak for upstate NY where there is also a strong Republican presence.
Shouldn't be too modest - the grift of the NY State Dems is pretty notorious as well.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:14 pm Ok. About "beautiful".
Imagine you are a diver, and imagine this thing is 10 Mts across in size, and coming at you.
You'd pull your knife out and commit hara-kiri under water. It is beautiful because of the small size. Otherwise, this thing would be terrifying.
This is why I don't have an interest in diving. It's like going on a safari unarmed on foot, but also with limited oxygen
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Been a diver since I was 16. It is an amazing experience and, when you are down there, you really are in a different world.
Don't let a few sharks detract you. Serious: they are very scared of that strange sounding, also large creature that makes weird noises and explodes with bubbles every few seconds. It is very safe, unless you start poking at them.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:41 pm Been a diver since I was 16. It is an amazing experience and, when you are down there, you really are in a different world.
Don't let a few sharks detract you. Serious: they are very scared of that strange sounding, also large creature that makes weird noises and explodes with bubbles every few seconds. It is very safe, unless you start poking at them.
I've been told I pet animals aggressively.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

It's definitely a problem elsewhere. Not sure about Billy, but Dan and most others on the show are ignorant about most other cities especially outside of Florida with how they act like this "only happens in Miami" when it happens almost everywhere. When they talk about the Miami grift, I tend to think, yes, it's bad. Also, I can remember like 10 aldermen that have been indicted in Chicago for doing that. Swear to God there was an indictment damn near every week of someone in a public role when I lived there. Not saying Miami doesn't have some legitimate problems, but yes, plenty of cities have significant grift.

When it comes to local corruption, very few places can best Chicago (and Illinois for that matter as a state). Like you'd need to go international to find a contender for their level. But New Orleans and Louisiana have always been more than capable of entering this conversation as well. Hella corruption down there.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:46 pm ...

It's definitely a problem elsewhere. Not sure about Billy, but Dan and most others on the show are ignorant about most other cities especially outside of Florida with how they act like this "only happens in Miami" when it happens almost everywhere. When they talk about the Miami grift, I tend to think, yes, it's bad. Also, I can remember like 10 aldermen that have been indicted in Chicago for doing that. Swear to God there was an indictment damn near every week of someone in a public role when I lived there. Not saying Miami doesn't have some legitimate problems, but yes, plenty of cities have significant grift.

When it comes to local corruption, very few places can best Chicago (and Illinois for that matter as a state). Like you'd need to go international to find a contender for their level. But New Orleans and Louisiana have always been more than capable of entering this conversation as well. Hella corruption down there.
I was about to get really, really angry about this unequivocal attack on the sole thing at which we are totally, completely better than anybody else in the world (Ok, I grant it, the Middle East is very, very good at this) but then you correctly mentioned that you have to go "International" (and heading South, very South).
So, I will let this pass. But, I repeat, DO NOT talk about corruption and leave us out.
I mean, we have our pride!
(bad joke, just putting you on ;) )
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:40 pm
I was about to get really, really angry about this unequivocal attack on the sole thing at which we are totally, completely better than anybody else in the world (Ok, I grant it, the Middle East is very, very good at this) but then you correctly mentioned that you have to go "International" (and heading South, very South).
So, I will let this pass. But, I repeat, DO NOT talk about corruption and leave us out.
I mean, we have our pride!
(bad joke, just putting you on ;) )
Haha! I was totally thinking that I don't even need to check to know Colombia was in the game for this one. I mean, similar to Capone and Chicago, Escobar was putting on a clinic for corrupting local politicians in Medellin and Colombia. In Chicago at least, they've never been able to break out of that cycle, it's too baked in. If you're familiar with the phrase "vote early and vote often" that's from Chicago. Had to get the right people into office, the ones you bought and paid for.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower