Injury and Illness

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Injury and Illness

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:49 pm
If ever there was a body NOT made for tennis, it's Andreescu's.
It's never a matter of IF she'll be injured again - it's always just a matter of WHEN she'll be injured again. And that takes a toll not only physically, but psychologically, as well - with this high number and high frequency of injuries - all of which have the common denominator of playing tennis -, how can she possibly trust her body?

There are a few things in life that are so predictable that you can set your watch to them: the sun will rise, the sun will set, a mass killing will occur in the U.S., and Bianca will injure herself.

If performing a particular task results in frequent significant injury, there comes a point where we'll stop doing it, no?

Given that she has a history of frequent injuries going back bout a decade, I imagine that she has done all of the stretching, conditioning, strengthening, and other exercizes that she's willing to do in order to get her body to the point where it doesn't break down. But the injuries continue. So, either she is not willing to 'train' enough to make her body significantly more resilient to tennis-related injuries, or, if she has 'trained' significantly toward avoiding injury, her body is simply not made to withstand the physical demands of playing tennis.
I see no other possibility.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok, so "not so bad" that they are torn, and not ruptured.
But soon here is relative to the injury. And torn ligaments are not going to heal in weeks. This usually takes months.
So sad for her because, drama and all, I like her on court.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Nadal and Alcaraz both out of Monte Carlo with injuries! the Spainish Armada runs aground!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And that tumble that Carlitos took at MIA did not seem that bad. Most likely when he cooled down, it flared.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Not sure if this was posted before, but I saw this morning Jenson Brooksby had wrist surgery a month ago. He has pulled out of Rome and Madrid.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I saw Seb Korda was listed on the entry list, but don't find him in any matches. Did he bail last minute or am I just not finding him?
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 am I saw Seb Korda was listed on the entry list, but don't find him in any matches. Did he bail last minute or am I just not finding him?
He injured his wrist in his QF match with Khachanov at the AO and had to withdraw. Even though his team reported he might return at Indian Wells, then at Miami, then at Estoril, it appears he is still not ready to return.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

3mlm wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:54 am
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 am I saw Seb Korda was listed on the entry list, but don't find him in any matches. Did he bail last minute or am I just not finding him?
He injured his wrist in his QF match with Khachanov at the AO and had to withdraw. Even though his team reported he might return at Indian Wells, then at Miami, then at Estoril, it appears he is still not ready to return.
Yeah, he said he's being very cautious about the recovery and won't return until he's good and ready. Evidently wrist injuries are finnicky and you don't want to mess around with them.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Indeed. Just ask Delpo. And at Sebi's age, risking an even longer time off implies more than ranking points lost.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

There have been some posts about Novak having an injury to his elbow. Has he said anything officially?
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm There have been some posts about Novak having an injury to his elbow. Has he said anything officially?
Yes, Novak has talked about it, and he got some treatment today, apparently.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by JazzNU »

FYI, Bianca's recovery seems to be coming along very well. Out of the boot and on the treadmill rehabbing maybe a week ago and looks to already be practicing at least some again. Seems like a best case scenario.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Benoit Paire: "I drank a lot, but I wasn't an alcoholic"

APRIL 10, 2023 19:10
by LORENZO CIOTTI | VIEW 3924

In an interview with Radio Monte-Carlo, Benoit Paire recounted one of the most difficult moments of his life on and off the tennis court. "When my head was in shape, I told myself I had to stop drinking too. I did a detox: not that I was an alcoholic, but I drank a lot.

I liked it, I did it too much when I was freaked out. I set no limits. All this is already paying off for him: plus I managed to lose a few kilos," he admitted with great sincerity, not hiding the situation he had to face and highlighting how he is in a different stage of life.

The Frenchman underlined how he got help from a circuit mate to get out of this ugly circle: "Everything started in Waco on February 28 of this year. I couldn't find the motivation. I was like: What am I doing playing Challenger tournaments in a university, in front of two people? I meditated a lot and had a very long telephone conversation with my mother.

I left for Puerto Vallarta with a completely different mindset. Nicolas Mahut can testify to it, he also helped me a lot after the first round (in Mexico) when I saved a match point." Paire then managed to win and win the tournament, starting a rather positive performance in the following appointments.

He also said: "During the COVID edition I said not too nice things. I said that the field was a cemetery, for example, but I wanted to add that it was the most beautiful tournament in the world.

Together with my agent, despite this, we decided to send a proposal to the organizers and the response touched me a lot." Benoit will be played on Sunday 9 April for the possibility of accessing the main draw: he will challenge the Australian Alexei Popyrin on the court des Princes to confirm that he too is in a moment of confidence on the court.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/n ... lcoholic-/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein