With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ashkor87 India

Re: '23 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by ashkor87 »

I expect Coco will wriggle out..she is too good to go out in the first round. Not surprised at Sakkari, nothing surprises me about her! Meanwhile Rybakina rolled along, like the Rolls she is..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:19 pm Didn't notice until now that X. Wang was playing back to back matches on Court 14.
At least it wasn't at the same time..I look forward to the day they play each other, with an umpire who cannot pronounce Chinese names!
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Caro rocking a catsuit

Post by JTContinental »

Siegemund finally called for a time violation at 0-2 30-all in the third set, after letting the clock run out on literally every point in the match so far.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:I think it's time for Sakkari to take a break from the tour. She's spiraling.
I’m not sure itMa that bad. She is still 13 in the race and has some great results this year. Just patchy. Not good at Slams. I don’t think she will make the WTA finals, but should finish top 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by JTContinental »

Sakkari did say post-match that she’s thinking of taking a break but I don’t know how serious she was

'23 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote:Sakkari did say post-match that she’s thinking of taking a break but I don’t know how serious she was
That’s weird. She just made the DC final, plus a couple 1000 semis this year, a couple other 500 and 250 finals. Maybe she means short break before fall, or just pack it in for the year since she isn’t going to make the WTA finals.

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

A new coach may help.. I can't figure her out at all..

Post by meganfernandez »

This makes me feel differently about last night's Coco-Siegemund match

nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:09 pm This makes me feel differently about last night's Coco-Siegemund match

I'm not.

I mean, Siegemund Expert Completist JTContinental has correctly been providing us with many examples of, at least arguably, Siegemunds's many examples of poor sportsmanship during matches. YET again, during this match, she stalled so many times before Coco served, stalled so many times while serving, took her inevitable extended "bathroom break" after the third set, she so often barked loudly when Coco made errors....Granted, she is obviously far from alone with these tricks. But, truly, IMO she does consistently, match after match, look for any cheap mind-games advantages. I do think the umpire waited too long to call her on it with this match. I also get how often umpires are put in difficult, awkward, and can't-win-no-matter-what-you-do situations.

Look- did the crowd go too far here? Yes. Did Coco (*albeit IMO very justifiably) end up stirring the crowd into going after her even more after Coco had a lengthy discussion with the umpire? Yes. Do I like to see any player brought to tears? No. IS she anywhere near Krygios-problematic level? Of course not. But, she IMO also has gotten away with too much crap during matches. I respect her talent for sure, and she could otherwise be an off-court terrific person. But, I'm also not going to change my feelings about situations based on a person's bound-to-be self-serving comments. I am sure she's heard the complaints before. She didn't show any real insight into why she was getting booed. She has had to have heard complaints about her actions during matches before- including in match write-ups. Her crap- and other players' crap has been allowed to go on for too long. If she and others get away with their crap- well, hey, you're being given invitations to keep going. But- she chooses to play the way she does- don't complain when a crowd turns on you. You reap what you sow and all that.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
shmrck14 United States of America

Post by shmrck14 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:09 pm This makes me feel differently about last night's Coco-Siegemund match

She FAFO - Consequences
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

shmrck14 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:38 pm

She FAFO - Consequences
LOL, I had to look up "FAFO". :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote:
shmrck14 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:38 pm

She FAFO - Consequences
LOL, I had to look up "FAFO". :gorgeous:
Same