With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:03 pm Considering the video of Tomic being beaten in an elevator recently, it might. (That was horrible footage... people wondered if it was related to betting.)
ti-amie wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:10 pm Imagine if this happened today?

That's what I was thinking about.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I was reading an article within the last year that was saying Russia has a fair amount of "fight clubs" that happen in the shadows.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:13 pm I was reading an article within the last year that was saying Russia has a fair amount of "fight clubs" that happen in the shadows.
I'm surprised but should I be?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Even if there are many fight clubs, that would be one sport that any tennis player should NOT take up.
You know, something about injuring your hand.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:44 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:19 pm WTA has an announcement re Halep..I couldn't make head or tail of it
What's confusing? The two separate charges, one for Roxadustat at the US Open 2021 and then the problems with her biological passport later? The WTA's statement is pretty straightforward. "Doping is serious. She can appeal. We'll respect the rulings."

Following the decision by the ITIA, the WTA issued a statement:
“It is of the utmost importance for players to be aware of the Tennis Anti-Doping Program rules and to follow them. The Independent Tribunal has made its ruling surrounding Simona’s case and under the TADP, the decision may be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. The WTA will support the decisions reached through the process and will continue to follow this closely.”
If I read Halep's position correctly, she is complaining about the inordinate delay, which the wta announcement says nothing about..she also alleges (is it true?) that 2 of the panel members changed their ruling when they found out who it was...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.tennis.com/baseline/article ... -wimbledon

Evidently Serena thinks Halep beat her at W because of doping....hmm..can doping help you make 0 unforced errors? I don't get it...
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:13 am https://www.tennis.com/baseline/article ... -wimbledon

Evidently Serena thinks Halep beat her at W because of doping....hmm..can doping help you make 0 unforced errors? I don't get it...

Likely not, but it can keep your energy up and your power intact which inevitably leads to greater confidence. We all know how confidence, or lack thereof, plays out in tennis.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

But certainly unworthy of a great champion like Serena..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:19 am But certainly unworthy of a great champion like Serena..
Who did say, throughout her career, many comments about other players that were not the most elegant of statements.
("I have never seen anybody hit so many lucky shots").
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I dont remember that one. Who was the object of her scorn that time?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Henin. Admittedly, this tennis planet was never big enough for those two. They really did not like each other.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Oh boy...not good if true for Jess' parents...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... ?gnt-cfr=1
Trotter’s lawsuit also alleges that his experience with discrimination was not limited to the circumstances surrounding his firing, however. According to the suit, the sports reporter witnessed hostile comments by NFL team owners on multiple occasions.

In one example, when discussing player protests against racial injustice, Trotter alleges that Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula said “If the Black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is.”

In a statement, Pegula vehemently denied Trotter’s allegation. “The statement attributed to me in Mr. Trotter’s complaint is absolutely false. I am horrified that anyone would connect me to an allegation of this kind. Racism has no place in our society and I am personally disgusted that my name is associated with this complaint,” Pegula said
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:19 am But certainly unworthy of a great champion like Serena..
I agree. Someone with her audience and her accomplishments kicking another player when they are down, because she lost a match, was extremely petty. I find it dubious that Halep beat Serena that one time because she was doping. She was in the zone. She has never played so well. Just one of those matches. And Serena was tight in all four of her finals after she came back. Maybe that's why Halep was a little more confident - she had seen Serena blow it in the Wimbledon and US Open finals in 2018.

Halep also beat Serena 0 and 2 at the 2014 WTA Finals.

I read - and I don't know if it's credible - that Halep passed a lot of tests around the time of Wimbledon 2019. Then she passed more after the US Open, when she failed one. The contaminated supplement story sounds plausible to me.I don't know about the biological passport, but yes, she accused two people on the three-person panel of changing their decision when they found out it was her.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And that last part, about the panel changing their decision when they found out it was Halep, is one I find dubious. Since when was Simona a "disliked" person? Or are we going to the "witch hunt" defense?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:37 pm And that last part, about the panel changing their decision when they found out it was Halep, is one I find dubious. Since when was Simona a "disliked" person? Or are we going to the "witch hunt" defense?
I would allow for the vast unknown - we don't really know the dynamics of the sport's inner workings. What we hear is a drop in the bucket, and half of that isn't complete or correct. There could be a lot of stuff that makes Halep believe she is disliked in the higher reaches of the sport, whether it's true or not.

In the same vein, Serena could have a lot more to be pissed about than we know and that might have fueled her tweet.