With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by Fastbackss »

I just listened to a podcast today with a former athlete. He spoke about this subject and how (of course) it's perspective but that like any job there are things you don't like. And like any employee you are entitled to vent. Just that it comes across as whiny from so many people who would love to have that job. And there are perks but if they aren't perpetually spoken in glowing terms the general populace loves to focus on the few vents
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:56 pm Are the conditions really that terrible? The jobs offers:
Traveling around the world (to major capitals in the world)
6 figure income
Outdoor lifestyle, doing something that you like (I hope they do)
For the really outstanding players, world fame.
Lots of exercise (to keep yourself in shape).
I mean, is it all really that bad?
This is all true, but I don't think that's the right mentality. That's like saying there is no improvement to be done to an economic system of a country with high per capita income. Like, even Norway or Switzerland have parts of the system that are broken and need to be fixed and citizens can complain about. It's the same for any job. If you're a senior developer at Google earning hundreds of thousands of dollars and getting free meals, you can acknowledge that's better than earning below minimum wage waitressing, but at the same time have a right to complain and demand improvements to your working conditions.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Craig Shapiro talked about Kastakina's travel complaints on his latest episode, with Dan Evans. Shapiro loves Kasatkina... he said a friend pointed out that the players haven't played the Asian swing in a few years and they are struggling to adjust. Good point.

I'm unconvinced that Kastakina makes a great case. I think she was worn out and annoyed by a particularly irritating travel day. It's going to happen if they want to play a global game and reap the rewards of growing the game, which they have. Could it be a little better, maybe more ironed out around the edges? Sure, probably. Doesn't seem hard for the tour to arrange proper transportation from a number of airports or help the players with that a bit more. But as far as the schedule, it's not like they have their pick of any city and date. They have to go where the money is. It doesn't seem terribly crazy to me. It's not ideal that the top players have to go from Asia to Europe to Cancun (or just Asia to Cancun), but we know these were extenuating circumstances.

Evans had a particularly grueling travel schedule after Davis Cup. He was the DC hero, as you know, and the next morning he drove a few hours to London and catch a flight to China, where he lost R1 in Chengdu. He had a great attitude about it. Loves getting to travel around. He also mentioned that after he won Washington, DC in July, beating Griekspoor, the tournament director chartered a private jet for both of them to fly to Canada. But the flight was cancelled for weather after they sat on the tarmac for a few hours. They didn't get back to the hotel until 1 a.m. and both of the teams had dinner together. Tough, but no complaints.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

TsitsiDosa is sucking all the air out of the tennis couples scene. I think I read about this a month ago.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Fastbackss wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:44 pm I just listened to a podcast today with a former athlete. He spoke about this subject and how (of course) it's perspective but that like any job there are things you don't like. And like any employee you are entitled to vent. Just that it comes across as whiny from so many people who would love to have that job.
Hehe...it's like when I complain about my day to work to my wife. I work support for a telecom and she is a nurse on a long term care floor. I'll complain about work and she'll say "Awww... did you have a hard time today sitting at a desk typing to people? Last night one of the kids who's been on my floor for years died."

It's all relative.
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:20 pm ...

Hehe...it's like when I complain about my day to work to my wife. I work support for a telecom and she is a nurse on a long term care floor. I'll complain about work and she'll say "Awww... did you have a hard time today sitting at a desk typing to people? Last night one of the kids who's been on my floor for years died."

It's all relative.
And serious here, not wanting to be a jerk. Doesn't that put your job a bit in perspective?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:21 pm Craig Shapiro talked about Kastakina's travel complaints on his latest episode, with Dan Evans. Shapiro loves Kasatkina... he said a friend pointed out that the players haven't played the Asian swing in a few years and they are struggling to adjust. Good point.

I'm unconvinced that Kastakina makes a great case. I think she was worn out and annoyed by a particularly irritating travel day. It's going to happen if they want to play a global game and reap the rewards of growing the game, which they have. Could it be a little better, maybe more ironed out around the edges? Sure, probably. Doesn't seem hard for the tour to arrange proper transportation from a number of airports or help the players with that a bit more. But as far as the schedule, it's not like they have their pick of any city and date. They have to go where the money is. It doesn't seem terribly crazy to me. It's not ideal that the top players have to go from Asia to Europe to Cancun (or just Asia to Cancun), but we know these were extenuating circumstances.

Evans had a particularly grueling travel schedule after Davis Cup. He was the DC hero, as you know, and the next morning he drove a few hours to London and catch a flight to China, where he lost R1 in Chengdu. He had a great attitude about it. Loves getting to travel around. He also mentioned that after he won Washington, DC in July, beating Griekspoor, the tournament director chartered a private jet for both of them to fly to Canada. But the flight was cancelled for weather after they sat on the tarmac for a few hours. They didn't get back to the hotel until 1 a.m. and both of the teams had dinner together. Tough, but no complaints.
Should have left that match early, like I did ;)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:13 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:20 pm ...

It's all relative.
And serious here, not wanting to be a jerk. Doesn't that put your job a bit in perspective?
Oh for sure. Makes me feel like complaining about being a tennis pro :D
:steven:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

One could always find someone who's job is tougher and/or private life more miserable. That's no reason to dismiss issues of everyone else.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Rare (to me) recent photo of the Federers in this gallery.

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Now Brooksby has been handed an 18 month suspension for missing 3 tests in a row.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The woman is a singer named Rita Ora and she apparently caused a bit of controversy at a recent concert of hers in Hungary where she waved a Serbian flag. She later said she couldn't see the colors of the flag because of...checks notes...the stage lights.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

So, was she saying she thought it was a Hungarian flag? Because she was born in Pristina and should probably be able to recognize Serbia's flag? I think she's of Kosovar Albanian heritage, so was the controversy more that she's pro-Serbia?

Rita Ora is married to director Taika Watiti and recently on a TV show that he's "half a Samoan" when he's actually half-Maori...(we may have posted about that here)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

SO, one photo of somebody as famous as Novak sitting next to a woman at an obviously public event, and we already assume adultery?
That's quick.
I say let Jelena take him for all he has... :twisted:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem