Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

When the jackpots are this large it's ridiculous to play because the pool of people becomes so large and makes it easier for someone in the MidWest or a very rural state who is also retired to win.

I don't play at all but it would make better sense to play when the lottery jackpot is "normal".
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Playing the lottery, statistically speaking, is never "dumb".
Think about it this way.
You are a person with a "regular" job: nurse, teacher, bank clerk, etc. What are your chances of EVER being a millionaire? A multimillionaire? Your chances are zero.
So, whatever small chance you have of hitting this jackpot, or any other million $$$ plus lottery, regardless of how small that chance is, is more than that zero chance of every being a millionaire on your work alone.
I busted my butt for 25 years in my industry, saved like a maniac, invested (poorly) on some mutual funds and stock. No kids, never took a bank loan or borrowed any money (interests will kill you), and I am still very short of the first million. If I were in the USA, I would buy one ticket. Dream for one day.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

$2 to change your entire family's life is why it makes sense to play the lottery. And you can pull that amount out of a forgotten change jar.

But given the size of the Powerball and Megamillions these days, I see no sound reason that there can't be a minimum of 10, 20, or 25 winners. Honestly, you'd sell more tickets because the chances of winning would increase because winning $100 million is still out of this world life changing. I seriously hate how often lately (and it's clearly intentional) that there is a single winning ticket. We used to get 2 or 3 winners now and then, but no more.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It's very difficult to save a million, even in Switzerland with a good job. I'm also well short of my first one (13 years)...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A million is still a million.
But I would keep working too. The sole way I stop working is if I were to hit the $5 million mark. Then I would feel I would have enough.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I could live very comfortably off of the interest of $1 Million. Or even less.
My wants are few.

"Some make their pride in how much their dinner costs. I make my pride in how little mine costs." - Henry Thoreau. :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I know this is a non-sequitur, but... my GF received this:
800 private jets landed in Sharm El Sheikh to tell the rest of the world we need to ride bicycles.
---o---
And I agree that we need to ride more bicycles, but, it has a little bit of a ring of truth.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Okay

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The person with the yellow flippers really wanted to gtfo.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:39 pm

The person with the yellow flippers really wanted to gtfo.
I'm quite skeptical about the authenticity of this.
Because of the 'advancements' in technology, it is becoming more and more difficult to differentiate between what is real, and what is 'computer generated'. People are too eager today to create their own 'virtual reality' (an absolute oxymoron).
This doesn't look real to me. Add the fact that no source of the recording is mentioned, and... as I said, I am very skeptical.

The fact that we always must question now whether something is real/honest or not is tragic.

As a professional photographer said to me some years ago, when digital photography and computer editing of photos was first beginning: "A photo used to be proof that something really happened. But now, with all of this computer manipulation, a photo doesn't prove a damned thing. And that's a shame."
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce did you see the photographs from Ecuador vs Qatar in the World Cup thread? The one showing Ecuador's Enner Valencia making a header that ended in a goal for his country? Spectacular.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US. Hope you enjoy the day with family and friends. And good luck and God bless to all that are cooking today.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The guy doing the folding, Robert J. Lang, holds a PhD in applied physics and is considered one of the leading theorists of the mathematics of origami.