vs Nikoloz Basilashvili
(WC) Kareem Al Allaf vs (5) Christopher O'Connell

(2) Marton Fucsovics vs Tomas Machac
(WC) Simon Carr vs (8) Matteo Arnaldi

(3) Ilya Ivashka vs Alexander Shevchenko
Pavel Kotov vs (6) Roman Safiullin

(4) Zhizhen Zhang vs (WC) Alexandar Lazarov
(PR) Yuki Bhambri vs (7) Francesco Passaro
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: ATP 500 Dubai, Acapulco 2/27 - 3/4 2023

Post by ti-amie »

Qualifying Draw - Acapulco

(1) Taro Daniel
vs (WC) Alex Hernandez
(WC) Ernesto Escobedo vs (6) Brandon Holt

(2) Steve Johnson vs (Alt) Nick Chappell
(Alt) Rubin Statham vs (8) Gonzalo Villanueva

(3) Geoffrey Blancaneaux vs (WC) Jacopo Berrettini
(PR) Yuichi Sugita vs (5) Luciano Darderi

(4) Elias Ymer vs (PR) Bradley Klahn
(Alt) Guido Andreozzi vs (7) Facundo Mena
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Main Draw Singles - Acapulco

(1) Carlos Alcaraz
vs Mackenzie McDonald
Daniel Altmaier vs Brandon Nakashima
Marcos Giron vs Michael Mmoh
Emilio Gomez vs (7) Tommy Paul

(3) Taylor Fritz vs John Isner
Denis Shapovalov vs Miomir Kecmanovic
Christopher Eubanks vs (WC) Feliciano Lopez
Yoshihito Nishioka vs (6) Frances Tiafoe

(5) Cameron Norrie vs Adrian Mannarino
Matteo Berrettini vs Alex Molcan
Nuno Borges vs Qualifier
(WC) Ben Shelton vs (4) Holger Rune

(8) Alex de Minaur vs (WC) Rodrigo Pacheco Mendez
Qualifier vs Oscar Otte
Qualifier vs J.J. Wolf
Qualifier vs (2) Casper Ruud

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Main Draw Singles - Dubai

(1) Novak Djokovic
vs Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Tallon Griekspoor vs Constant Lestienne
(WC) Alexei Popyrin vs Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Andy Murray vs (5) Hubert Hurkacz

(3) Daniil Medvedev vs Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Alexander Bublik vs Qualifier/Lucky Loser
(WC) Thanasi Kokkinakis vs Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Daniel Evans vs (8) Borna Coric

(7) Alexander Zverev vs Jiri Lehecka
Emil Ruusuvuori vs Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Marc-Andrea Huesler vs Lorenzo Sonego
Maxime Cressy vs (4) Felix Auger-Aliassime

(6) Karen Khachanov vs Botic van de Zandschulp
Benjamin Bonzi vs Mikael Ymer
(WC) Malek Jaziri vs Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
Filip Krajinovic vs (2) Andrey Rublev
Ainsley United States of America

Post by Ainsley »

In Acapulco a Fritz and Isner 1st round Match Up. :0

In Dubai I guess Medvedev has not officially withdrawn yet?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm shocked Alcaraz hasn't withdrawn from Acapulco. Yes you're 19 but c'mon man.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And Rio Acapulco is a LONG way. It is not BAires/Rio,
Indeed, puzzling.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Keeping high profile names in the draw until the last minute sells more tickets, people...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Ainsley »

Deuce wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:18 pm Keeping high profile names in the draw until the last minute sells more tickets, people...
What would be the common courtesy for a player like Medvedev or Alcaraz to withdraw from these tournaments? Should they give at least 24 hours notice before the 1st round?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's not just the players that are involved. The tournament obviously benefits more if the high profile players withdraw at the last minute, as they sell more tickets to people expecting to see those players play.
My guess is that, if Alcaraz and/or Medvedev are not going to play Acapulco/Dubai, they have already told the tournament organizers - and the tournament organizers are delaying making the public announcement because, again, they'll sell more tickets and make more money that way. The players likely still get some sort of 'appearance fee' this way - even if they don't physically appear.
This kind of thing has been going on for many years, unfortunately.

An alternative is that the players go to the tournament, and lose very early pretty much deliberately. That way, as well, the tournament sells the extra tickets, the players get their 'appearance money', and they get the rest they want, as well.

That said, I have no idea if Alcaraz and/or Medvedev are planning to play Acapulco/Dubai or not - I'm simply saying that last minute withdrawals never surprise me (though they do anger me) - because it's a trend that has been occurring for quite a while now.
Last edited by Deuce on Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Ainsley »

Deuce wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:42 pm It's not just the players that are involved. The tournament obviously benefits more if the high profile players withdraw at the last minute, as they sell more tickets to people expecting to see those players play.
My guess is that, if Alcaraz and/or Medvedev are not going to play Dubai, they have already told the tournament organizers - and the tournament organizers are delaying making the public announcement because, again, they'll sell more tickets and make more money that way. The players likely still get some sort of 'appearance fee' this way - even if they don't physically appear.
This kind of thing has been going on for many years, unfortunately.

An alternative is that the players go to the tournament, and lose very early pretty much deliberately. That way, as well, the tournament sells the extra tickets, the players get their 'appearance money', and they get the rest they want, as well.

That said, I have no idea if Alcaraz and/or Medvedev are planning to play Dubai or not - I'm simply saying that last minute withdrawals never surprise me (though they do anger me) - because it's a trend that has been occurring for quite a while now.
So if a player would withdraw from a said tournament and notify that tournament there is no obligation for the tournament to announce until the last minute of the withdrawal basically screwing the fans? I get it though because I am going to be a business major, but it is shady.

I would imagine most players would elect to withdraw from the tournament beforehand than waste time on a flight and all of that to just tank a match.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The tournament can claim that they 'didn't know' that the player was going to withdraw - and there's no way to prove that they did know, even if the player advises them 2 weeks in advance. So both parties (players and tournament officials) are complicit.
It's also very possible that the player tells the tournament of their withdrawal several days in advance, and the tournament replies by telling the player that they must not divulge the withdrawal publicly if they want to be paid an 'appearance fee'.
And when players do go to a tournament and tank in the 1st or 2nd round, it could be because the 'appearance fee' has made it financially beneficial for them to do that.

As I said in another thread - business is a dirty business that is almost always void of moral or ethical responsibility these days. Financial profit is the only thing that matters. It's sad.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Ainsley »

Deuce wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:57 pm The tournament can claim that they 'didn't know' that the player was going to withdraw - and there's no way to prove that they did know, even if the player advises them 2 weeks in advance. So both parties (players and tournament officials) are complicit.
It's also very possible that the player tells the tournament of their withdrawal several days in advance, and the tournament replies by telling the player that they must not divulge the withdrawal publicly if they want to be paid an 'appearance fee'.
And when players do go to a tournament and tank in the 1st or 2nd round, it could be because the 'appearance fee' has made it financially beneficial for them to do that.

As I said in another thread - business is a dirty business that is almost always void of moral or ethical responsibility these days. Financial profit is the only thing that matters. It's sad.
I am fully aware that business can be dirty. I have always wanted to work and assist a business in some sort of capacity and that is why I am going into Business Management. I have always excelled in Mathematics in school and I hope once I finish my degree I can land a job as an Operations Research Analyst.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I hope that you gravitate heavily toward a business that helps people who need help instead of the much more common type of business that screws people.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Ainsley »

Deuce wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:12 am I hope that you gravitate heavily toward a business that helps people who need help instead of the much more common type of business that screws people.
That is my plan. I have a ways to go before I enter the work force. I am just going to be starting college this upcoming Fall.