With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '23 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

Showing images of Novak during this rain delay.
Hard to have ever seen a man so unworried while playing a tennis match. He probably could not spell the words "defeat" or "loss" at the moment.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:05 pm What happened to Fruhvirtova? Retired in the 3rd Vs Martic, who is not at her best on grass.
JT Continental explained it on the first page. Suffered a bad fall during the second set.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:36 pm Samsonova out in straight sets

Pegula wins in three--she is not a good grass court player, but she willed herself to that victory
She said she got tentative, especially with her serve, in the second set due to the gusty wind, and then made the correction in the third set and went for her serves more. She also said Davis is a tricky player on grass. She's short and loves Pegula's low, flat ball.

Post by meganfernandez »

Mmon up 2 sets to 1 on FAA. All three sets tiebreaks. They were 4-4 in the third-set breaker and Mmoh out-steadied Felix.

What a bad year for FAA so far.

Post by meganfernandez »

Who makes tennis look easy to you? For me, it's Kenin. So smooth, smart and instinctual when she is on. I'm enjoying this Gauff match.

Post by meganfernandez »

FAA double-faulted on match point to lose to Mmoh.

Minor controversy to end the Venus-Svitolina match. Svitolina's return landed on the baseline right at Venus's feet but was called out. Venus made contact but the ball just ricocheted off her racket to the side of the court. Svitolina challenged and it was overturned, and the chair called GSM, didn't let Venus replay it. Venus laughed in disbelief and was shaking her head at her chair. Svitolina looked a little dismayed at the net.

Post by jazzyg »

It was the right call.

Tough way to end a match, but the call on the court was late and came after Venus made contact with the ball.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Out goes Coco. Not particularly surprising given the opponent. Also so far grass is her weakest surface (statistically).

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:40 pm Out goes Coco. Not particularly surprising given the opponent. Also so far grass is her weakest surface (statistically).
Chrissie called it the "match of Kenin's life" and that she played better than she did to win the Australian. I'm not so sure... I watched most of this match and remember Australia. She played so well to beat Muguruza in the final.

It's lovely to see Kenin back in form. She picked on Coco's FH. It was a high-quality match.

It has to suck when your sponsors build campaigns around you and you disappoint them in the first round. And I'm sure she knows her sponsors and team are waiting for her to win a Slam. At least she has broken through to the final. But R1 stings. Bad draw but Coco could have won the match.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by jazzyg »

Chris Evert just said Kenin played better than she did in winning the Australian Open.

I like Evert as a human, but she utters the most off base ommentary of any announcer I've ever heard. This is just the latest example on hundreds, like when she labeled Bouchard the favorite over Kvitova at the beginning of their Wimbledon final. There were some brilliant points today and Kenin played well, but Gauff is nowhere close to as good as Muguruza was when they met in the Aussie Open final. Kenin's forehand is balky, but just not as balky as Gauff's. I would not be surprised if Kenin loses to Wang in the next round. She does not have the built-in confidence of winning a series of matches yet.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Bublik broke the Halle curse )

Post by meganfernandez »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:21 pm FAA double-faulted on match point to lose to Mmoh.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:00 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:18 pm Good to see Parks win..I have high hopes of her, in future
You are on record saying that she was a future Wimbledon champ. The style of game seems appropriate enough.
1 down, six more to go.
Alexandrova vs. Parks in the final. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Seems like a lot of matches being suspended today.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:48 pm Chris Evert just said Kenin played better than she did in winning the Australian Open.

I like Evert as a human, but she utters the most off base ommentary of any announcer I've ever heard. This is just the latest example on hundreds, like when she labeled Bouchard the favorite over Kvitova at the beginning of their Wimbledon final. There were some brilliant points today and Kenin played well, but Gauff is nowhere close to as good as Muguruza was when they met in the Aussie Open final. Kenin's forehand is balky, but just not as balky as Gauff's. I would not be surprised if Kenin loses to Wang in the next round. She does not have the built-in confidence of winning a series of matches yet.
There was a "s*itChrissieSays" hashtag for a reason.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein