With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 Wimbledon Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '23 Wimbledon Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:34 am Keys steadied her nerves when she was down a set and 1-4 and won the second set in a tiebreak. Andreeva is getting petulant.
Experience. Stamina. Power. :) Andreeva started playing like a junior - only high percentage shots, no drop shots, nothing aggressive. Keys changed her tactics, too. But Andreeva completely abandoned what got her there and isn't putting any pressure on Keys. It is completely on Keys's racket now. Hopefully she will hold her nerve until the end.

Post by meganfernandez »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:50 am Andreeva chucked her racket after losing the first set. Not lightly. Flung it straight forward. Could have taken a bad bounce.
Wow... Andreeva got a warning when she flung the racket, and she got a point penalty for doing it again serving at 2-5 deuce. She argued that she was falling and let it go - she slipped and was about to go over on her ankle. But she whipped the racket, didn't just let it go.

Maddy put it away on the next point and Andreeva didn't shake the umpire's hand. Petulant is right.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Andreeva imploded at the end of the match. She got a point penalty for throwing her racquet to give Keys a match point and argued with the chair umpire that she "slipped." After she lost, she gave Keys the limp wrist handshake, ignored the chair umpire and stomped off.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

What a fantastic win for Keys.

Andreeva did not miss a ball from 0-2 in the first set until she was up 4-1 with a break point for 5-1 in the second set, and she played her best on every big point, so this was not always on Keys' racquet. But once Keys got back on serve in the second set, Andreeva showed her age and started missing the routine shots she was perfect on for a set-and-a-half. Her drive-by handshake at the end was weak, again, hopefully because of her age.

Post by jazzyg »

Andreeva did slip. She definitely threw her racquet, but I don't think she would have done it if she had not slipped.

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:15 pm Andreeva imploded at the end of the match. She got a point penalty for throwing her racquet to give Keys a match point and argued with the chair umpire that she "slipped." After she lost, she gave Keys the limp wrist handshake, ignored the chair umpire and stomped off.

I think it was a pretty harsh call. Yeah, she dropped it in frustration more than safety. But it's like bouncing the racket on the top of the frame when you miss a shot. It's not really a racket throw or smash.

Post by jazzyg »

I like Lehecka to beat Medvedev today.

He has been hitting the ball incredibly well all tournament and showed incredible fortitude to win the fifth set against Paul 6-2 after challenging a call on match point in the fourth-set tiebreak when the match would have been over if he had not challenged. Paul's shot hit the baseline, and Lehecka thought his response was going out, but it actually skipped off the opposite baseline or just inside of it and Paul would have missed the next shot. Instead of imploding after losing a two-set lead in two excruciatingly close tiebreaks, Lehecka dominated the fifth set.

This is a big match for Medvedev. He's obviously a better overall player than Lehecka, so let's see if he can beat him on grass.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

So far so good for Medvedev. No break points against his serve yet.

Post by meganfernandez »

BHM and Lehecka both retired from their matches. That's one way to fix the schedules.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Andreeva's code violation.
I thought the rule was that IF you throw your racquet AND you break it, you get the code violations. If now you are going to go to the point that if you throw/drop the racquet, that is going to be a gray area.
And, to me, that did not merit any sort of code violations. She did stumble.
The limp handshake and not shaking the umps hand is silly. It was not Keys' fault, and the ump, well, you still shake hands.
She is 16. I hope somebody will pull her aside and explain a bit more. And listen to what she has to say.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by jazzyg »

Maybe I should have checked the score of Medvedev-Lehecka before my previous post. Medvedev was already up a break in the first set.

Lehecka had a bad blister on his foot and could not move or change direction. Credit to him for trying to play for two sets with zero chance to win.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I was wrong - Hurkacz regroups today, and wins the 3rd set.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:21 pm I was wrong - Hurkacz regroups today, and wins the 3rd set.
WE were wrong. I thought this would simply take the place of Novak's daily practice routine.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Djokovic is a bit annoyed at the moment. He had some slips late in the 3rd set, and he's just a bit frustrated at not making more progress against Hurkacz's serve.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Eubanks to serve for the 4th set against Tsitsipas.