With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Owendonovan United States of America

Re: '23 USO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by Owendonovan »

COVID is roaring through NYC now, I know of 6 people who have gotten it here in the city in the last 3 weeks, I'd test if I were Ons.
Last edited by Owendonovan on Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Arthur Fils comes back from 2 sets to 1 down and wins it 7-5 in the fifth. Happy about this result- although I also do like and respect Griekspoor's game.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
swaydrian+ United States of America

Post by swaydrian+ »

nelslus wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:00 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:42 pm Yafan trying for a Wang hat trick in round 1, up a set and 2 breaks on Garcia
....Caroline should take the much needed break with Sakkari and Kudermetova. Get it together- although, I have more confidence in Sakkari getting her Slam game together. Sad to see such talented players fade out.

Such poor performances at majors for Caroline this year. I guess she did well in other tourneys I didn't watch. I thought she might have been figuring something out after Cleveland, but that's why I'm out of the women's side of the suicide pool. Not looking too great for me and Kokkinakis on the men's side. I suppose this will give me more time to enjoy the open while there, haha

Post by nelslus »

swaydrian+ wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:13 pm
nelslus wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:00 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:42 pm Yafan trying for a Wang hat trick in round 1, up a set and 2 breaks on Garcia
....Caroline should take the much needed break with Sakkari and Kudermetova. Get it together- although, I have more confidence in Sakkari getting her Slam game together. Sad to see such talented players fade out.

Such poor performances at majors for Caroline this year. I guess she did well in other tourneys I didn't watch. I thought she might have been figuring something out after Cleveland, but that's why I'm out of the women's side of the suicide pool. Not looking too great for me and Kokkinakis on the men's side. I suppose this will give me more time to enjoy the open while there, haha
WELL, my first male pick was Gasquet so....basically, IMO, especially if you're trying to win one of these Pools- you're pretty much forced into making "bad" choices. It's always strangely far easier to lose in these things. (I'm still alive in the women's Pool, thanks to Tennis Immortals Cirstea and Bouzkova- either of whom could also mess me up by winning "too many" matches....)

I'll be at the Open watching matches from next Wednesday through Saturday. My first time on a plane since COVID. I love this tournament- albeit, I'm pretty geeked to be at any tennis tournament. You are guaranteed to have a great time. Labor Day weekend is a blast at the Open.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

swaydrian+ wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:51 pm What the hell is happening to Caroline Garcia??
There is this list of players that seem to be in real trouble. Sakkari, Kudermetova, Felix and Garcia. Felix has fallen so much his loss was not even mentioned here (sure, McKinsey if a fine player and that was a bad draw, but still).
And I say that these are data to the fact that indeed, some people can forget how to hit some strokes. Garcia is there. Nothing is working, and they showed a little bit, but it can be that she really cannot hit a ball at top 20 level anymore.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:31 pm
swaydrian+ wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:51 pm What the hell is happening to Caroline Garcia??
There is this list of players that seem to be in real trouble. Sakkari, Kudermetova, Felix and Garcia. Felix has fallen so much his loss was not even mentioned here (sure, McKinsey if a fine player and that was a bad draw, but still).
And I say that these are data to the fact that indeed, some people can forget how to hit some strokes. Garcia is there. Nothing is working, and they showed a little bit, but it can be that she really cannot hit a ball at top 20 level anymore.
Felix HAS had some injury issues. Nevertheless- indeed, it is sad that none of us even thought to include him in the imminent ever growing Anisimova Back to School list.

Post by Owendonovan »

FAA certainly isn't playing like a 15th ranked player (with this loss he's ranked 14th today somehow), he's 14-14 with no titles this year. How is he still floating around the top 20?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:10 pm FAA certainly isn't playing like a 15th ranked player (with this loss he's ranked 14th today somehow), he's 14-14 with no titles this year. How is he still floating around the top 20?
3 titles in a row last fall - he went up in the rankings because Khachanov lost more points.

Post by nelslus »

nelslus wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:57 pm AND, I swear, Chicago, baby nelslus and me are good luck for players who come to Chicago.
.....WELL, Tomova and "Cover Girl" Liu may beg to differ.... :gorgeous:

Post by Owendonovan »

Not enjoying Venus's match at all.

Post by nelslus »

SO happy for Vickery. But, very sad last set. Vekic was cramping badly in the third set, and could barely move.

As for V's match.... :cry: (Won't watch a second of this.)

Post by nelslus »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:25 am Not enjoying Venus's match at all.
Just.....turn away.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I'm glad she still enjoys the process of competing, but I do wonder how much fun it is to lose to a qualifier 1 & 1 in the first round.

Post by nelslus »

skatingfan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:34 am I'm glad she still enjoys the process of competing, but I do wonder how much fun it is to lose to a qualifier 1 & 1 in the first round.
Oh, heck, obviously V has earned the right to do whatever the heck she wants to do. She's had a few good wins this year, and all that. Not at all sure how she will process this. NOT fun.

Post by nelslus »

Meanwhile, BTW, Huesler had served for the match for what would have been a straight set victory at 5-4. Broke himself at love. Managed to get it to a third set tiebreaker- during which he did not win a point. Huesler is now a break down in the 4th set. Cue inevitable conclusion.