With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '23 USO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

nelslus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:21 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:13 pm Caro was up 2-0 in the first set and only won one more game, losing it to Cori 6-3.

Butler is there but no sign of Bieber and those horrific sunglasses he was wearing.
Well, DAMN. Guess I'll leave my Bieber sunglasses at home then. :gorgeous:
:lol:

I am a lover of sunglasses and if there is such a thing I could be called a collector. Those were just ugh to me.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:55 pm
nelslus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:21 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:13 pm Caro was up 2-0 in the first set and only won one more game, losing it to Cori 6-3.

Butler is there but no sign of Bieber and those horrific sunglasses he was wearing.
Well, DAMN. Guess I'll leave my Bieber sunglasses at home then. :gorgeous:
:lol:

I am a lover of sunglasses and if there is such a thing I could be called a collector. Those were just ugh to me.
OH- those glasses are hideous.

Speaking of hideous.....On to a third set. UGGGGH Coco.... :freaking:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

AND Coco gets broken first game of the third set....

WELL, shoot, Coco got broken first game of the third set. Betcha she comes back now and wins the third set 6-1. :oops: :gorgeous:
Last edited by nelslus on Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Tennis Podcast 🤖
@TennisPodcast@sportsbots.xyz
"Let’s not try to go through her. Play with shape and air" - Brad Gilbert (who did not stop).

Coco Gauff: [blasts winners through Wozniacki on consecutive points and breaks back]
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Cori told Brad and Pere to be quiet and then played a spectacular third set reducing Woz to complaining about the lights.

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:34 pm Cori told Brad and Pere to be quiet and then played a spectacular third set reducing Woz to complaining about the lights.
Caroline complaining. Isn't it nice to see that she hasn't changed a bit since her retirement? :gorgeous:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Siun
@ChristinaSiunOConnell@federate.social
@l0ve30 During the last time between games, Woz complained to the umpire that they did not turn on the lights until it helped Coco -“then you gave her perfect sight” #tennis

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Tennis Podcast 🤖
@TennisPodcast@sportsbots.xyz
Of course Mary Jo Fernandez asks Coco Gauff about the "dynamics" in her box.

"Sometimes I tell [my coaches] to chill a little bit because I like to figure things out for myself... Sometimes it's a stress reaction."

[cut to Brad Gilbert not smiling]

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:43 pm Siun
@l0ve30 During the last time between games, Woz complained to the umpire that they did not turn on the lights until it helped Coco -“then you gave her perfect sight” #tennis
Ridiculous.

I can vouch for that, sometimes, the lights at the US Open do come on earlier than you'd think. Has favoritism been a factor with tennis? Sure- and, guess what Caroline? You've been shown plenty of favoritism throughout your career. The Open doesn't have some magic Coco button they can push to make things better for her.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Gojo just double faulted five times in one game, and neither ESPN announcer had any clue about it. In fact, Gilbert said after the third double fault that he needed to start taking more risks on his second serve.

Strange.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I've never seen Swiatek give up on a match like she did in the 3rd set against Ostapenko.

Post by nelslus »

ALL props to Ostapenko- who was in an incredible purple patch those last two sets. When she is on- she is very, very scary.

BUT- and I'm gonna go hard on this- that was pathetic from Iga. With her 507-person support team- they couldn't come up with some kind of plan against an opponent who has a 3-0 record against you? Figure it out.

With big Slam matches on the line- where are the freakin' players who are going to try everything in their arsenal to turn matches around? Right now, IMO, there are two players who you just can never say they're done until the last point at a Slam- Novak and Carlos. And, I'm not at all sure Carlos will even make the final this year, much less win. (He IS 20, But, at least you know he's going to try his damndest.

I totally get that is is very tough out their being under a world-side internet microscope- especially for the women players. Everyone puts these players under a lot of pressure. But- I just want to see big matches where folks fight their guts out. And problem solve. Where you don't have so much "parity" where players remain in the top 10 even with seemingly zero chances of winning any Slam title- or, in some cases, win few to zero Slam matches. It's exhausting to watch players freeze and run out of options so quickly. I mean, you ARE also winning millions of dollars when you're high in the rankings. Find SOME joy there. I just wish tennis didn't feel like such a chore for so many players.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:48 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:43 pm Siun
Ridiculous.

I can vouch for that, sometimes, the lights at the US Open do come on earlier than you'd think. Has favoritism been a factor with tennis? Sure- and, guess what Caroline? You've been shown plenty of favoritism throughout your career. The Open doesn't have some magic Coco button they can push to make things better for her.
Throughout her career? She is here on a WILD CARD. For a player three year out of the tour, and who never won the event.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:16 am ALL props to Ostapenko- who was in an incredible purple patch those last two sets. When she is on- she is very, very scary.

BUT- and I'm gonna go hard on this- that was pathetic from Iga. With her 507-person support team- they couldn't come up with some kind of plan against an opponent who has a 3-0 record against you? Figure it out.

With big Slam matches on the line- where are the freakin' players who are going to try everything in their arsenal to turn matches around? Right now, IMO, there are two players who you just can never say they're done until the last point at a Slam- Novak and Carlos. And, I'm not at all sure Carlos will even make the final this year, much less win. (He IS 20, But, at least you know he's going to try his damndest.

I totally get that is is very tough out their being under a world-side internet microscope- especially for the women players. Everyone puts these players under a lot of pressure. But- I just want to see big matches where folks fight their guts out. And problem solve. Where you don't have so much "parity" where players remain in the top 10 even with seemingly zero chances of winning any Slam title- or, in some cases, win few to zero Slam matches. It's exhausting to watch players freeze and run out of options so quickly. I mean, you ARE also winning millions of dollars when you're high in the rankings. Find SOME joy there. I just wish tennis didn't feel like such a chore for so many players.
I disagree with you a bit here. There was no strategy for this match because Ostapenko just played one of her matches. Crush the ball and when it comes back, crush the ball again but harder. There is no strategy against that.

About your last part (the bolded one): indeed. I wish they would spend a week once a year working at a Wal-mart. You know, get a taste for the life of most 20-something.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:49 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:16 am ALL props to Ostapenko- who was in an incredible purple patch those last two sets. When she is on- she is very, very scary.

I disagree with you a bit here. There was no strategy for this match because Ostapenko just played one of her matches. Crush the ball and when it comes back, crush the ball again but harder. There is no strategy against that.

About your last part (the bolded one): indeed. I wish they would spend a week once a year working at a Wal-mart. You know, get a taste for the life of most 20-something.
I don't care who you are playing. Absolutely, Ostapenko was playing great tennis. But, if no strategies could ever work, then Ostapenko would win every match. There are always strategy options. I mean- try to find ways to extend the rallies and see if Ostapenko would start coughing up errors (which we've all seen plenty of times), come to the net more, slicing, serving and volleying, moving Ostapenko as much as you can....Certainly, "make an effort" and "stop looking like a deer caught in the headlights" would have been worth trying for Iga.

AND- hey, forget the youngsters- get a taste of the life for most 60-somethings. :gorgeous: