Upcoming
POR N. Borges/POR F. Cabral vs COL N. Barrientos/MEX M. Reyes-Varela
WOMEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
GEO O. Kalashnikova/UKR N. Kichenok vs UKR M. Kostyuk [11]/CHN S. Zhang [11]

MEN'S AND WOMEN'S DOUBLES ALTERNATE SIGN-INS CLOSE AT 10:30 AM
MIXED DOUBLES ALTERNATE SIGN-IN CLOSES AT 10:30 AM

by JTContinental John Isner has pulled out with a wrist injury

by ponchi101 Apparently a broken wrist. When did it happen? He was serving his usual cannonballs against Delbonis.

by ashkor87 Did they deliberately pit Kostyuk against Vika? Will Kostyuk refuse to shake hands ?! Hope not...
The interesting match-up is Sasnovich- Pegula, both B+ grade players ...
Nothing very exciting on the men's side ...

by ashkor87 I will get up early to watch Serena-Venus of course

by ashkor87 I don't expect Sloane to trouble Swiatek much ..it takes someone who can hurry Swiatek, push her back ..Keys more than Sloane

by ashkor87 Poor quality match thus far, neither able to keep the ball in play

by nelslus Meanwhile, Mary Joe Fernandez's 17 year old kid, Nicholas Godsick, won his R1 doubles match with Ethan Quinn, beating Basilashvili and Hach Verdugo 7-6 (1), 6-4.

by ashkor87 Second set will be a bagel, I expect

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:22 pm Apparently a broken wrist. When did it happen? He was serving his usual cannonballs against Delbonis.
Apparently he just tripped over his feet and put his hand out to brace the fall, but didn't realize the wrist was broken until after the match.

by Suliso If Stephens couldn't bother Swiatek then it's very unlikely Davis will be able to. The draw opens up a bit for Iga.

by Suliso Surprised Coric is losing so easily.

by meganfernandez Swiatek and Stephens had a much closer match in Cincy. Iga won but the score was tighter. Good evidence that Iga is getting used to the conditions. She’s the favorite for the title IMO. Not heavy favorite but a clear favorite for me.

by dryrunguy I am mortified by the fact I REALLY like Coria's kit.

by meganfernandez
dryrunguy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:23 pm I am mortified by the fact I REALLY like Coria's kit.
I like the black and gold version better than the red, white and blue version.

by meganfernandez Martic is playing really well and about to bounce Badosa. She hasn't been broken in three sets. I don't see why she can't beat Azarenka and Bencic and make the quarters vs Sabalenka, Cornet or Collins.

by ponchi101 Coric's loss is an example of how the sport is being played today. A recent winner of a MS1000, playing very good tennis, and then, unable to keep the level.

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:47 pm Martic is playing really well and about to bounce Badosa. She hasn't been broken in three sets. I don't see why she can't beat Azarenka and Bencic and make the quarters vs Sabalenka, Cornet or Collins.
Me neither, but it doesn't mean that she will. Could just as easily lose to all four players (Azarenka, Benicic, Pliskova and Bouzkova) standing between her and QF's.

by JTContinental Apparently James Blake told John McEnroe that Sam Querrey is going to move to the pickleball circuit. I can't tell if it's a joke or not.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:22 pm Apparently a broken wrist. When did it happen? He was serving his usual cannonballs against Delbonis.
During the match--he took an awkward fall backwards and put his hands down to brace himself

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:56 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:47 pm Martic is playing really well and about to bounce Badosa. She hasn't been broken in three sets. I don't see why she can't beat Azarenka and Bencic and make the quarters vs Sabalenka, Cornet or Collins.
Me neither, but it doesn't mean that she will. Could just as easily lose to all four players (Azarenka, Benicic, Pliskova and Bouzkova) standing between her and QF's.
Right now, I'd take Martic over any of those women if they played tomorrow. Of course, Martic might not be able to replicate this form, but I like her chances of her first semi. She's serving great. I know Martic has been in this position several times and she doesn't come through, but you never know, one of these times if she keeps putting herself in position. Just very impressive from what I saw in the third set.

by ponchi101 I missed that (about Isner's fall). Amazing that he could finish the match.

by ponchi101 Badosa out. 5 of the top ten seeds are gone, and we have not finished the second round.

by Suliso Before today I've never heard of Eubanks or seen him play so for whatever reason I assumed he's a small guy. Turns out he's actually Isner like. :lol:

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:05 pm Badosa out. 5 of the top ten seeds are gone, and we have not finished the second round.
Yes, but you didn't include her in your poll and for a good reason. I also wouldn't have.

by ponchi101 Oh, sure. She has no business winning here.
The poll is being prescient, in a bad way. Not only this top 5, but some other choices are also gone. And the issue is how early they are losing. One thing is not believing Badosa would not win; another is 2R loss.

by Suliso Muguruza looks good. Ready to win the tournament perhaps?

by dryrunguy
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:38 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:23 pm I am mortified by the fact I REALLY like Coria's kit.
I like the black and gold version better than the red, white and blue version.
I just love the morbidity of it. I haven't seen the right, red, and blue version. Sounds appalling.

by JTContinental Meanwhile, Grigor has ditched his vomit-colored attire for something more basic.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:46 pm Muguruza looks good. Ready to win the tournament perhaps?
....You are the gift that just keeps on giving.....

by nelslus *Carlos nearly made that a match, up 6-1, 6-2, 4-1. How many players need to learn this message: Never let down, never let someone back in the match. For a few game, Coria played some great tennis. But, serving to get into a third set tiebreaker, Coria's level finally went back to his normal game- and Carlos picked it up.

*I can't BELIEVE that I changed my women's pick to a person with a name that sounds like the name of an Aldi's spaghetti sauce. :gorgeous:

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:46 pm Muguruza looks good. Ready to win the tournament perhaps?
Well, it's her MO: disappear for months, drive us insane, then win big.
And then, repeat.

by ti-amie After the first set bagel Fruhvirtova came out on fire but Mugu seems to have weathered the storm and it's now 4 all in the second set.

by nelslus
nelslus wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:12 pm
....You are the gift that just keeps on giving.....
I may have Suliso-snarked too soon.

by Suliso Muguruza will get it done. A bit more complicated than it looked at one stage, though.

by ti-amie Mugu got it done in straight sets 6-0, 6-4 over one of the players people are very high on, Fruhvirtova

by ti-amie Wait what happened to Anhelina Kalinina? Petra got the walkover.

by Suliso Fruhvirtova is good, one could see it in small stretches. It's just that she's not yet ready to beat a well playing top level player.

by ponchi101 Mugu/Kvitova next. A tough draw. Whomever makes it, get Pegula (or Yuan).
That will be difficult.

by Suliso I'd bet on Mugu in this section.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Sabalenka dropped the first set 6-2 and left the court to change her kit.

by Deuce
Martic is an enigma. Every few months - or 2 or 3 times per year - she looks like a world beater.
The rest of the time, she looks like a #74 ranked player.
With her, it's constantly feast or famine - and impossible to predict.

Siniakova vs. Cornet was interesting. 6-1. 1-6, 6-3 Cornet.
What if she goes on to win the tournament? :o

by Suliso Sabalenka, the #6 seed, is not even competitive in this match...

by JTContinental Nakashima just dumped Dimitrov in straight sets

by ponchi101 And he goes against Sinner, against whom I give him a chance.

by JTContinental I would like to see tennis announcers fined for saying "shank you very much" when someone hits a mis-hit winner.

ETA: lol I originally didn't put the hyphen in "mis-hit" and it was blanked out as an "expletive."

by ponchi101 As I said about Schwartzman. His match right now is 7-6, 2-1. The time is 1:51.
He has become a pain to watch. Is just like trying to kill a cockroach with a broomstick.

by ti-amie Kanepi was 6-2, 5-1 vs Sabalenka. It's 9-8 Sabalenka in the second set TB. And Sabalenka forces a third set.

Oy.

by JTContinental Kanepi appears poised to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

by ponchi101 You know, we talk a lot about Sabalenka and her problems with the DF's. But, even when she is unable to get her bloody serve in, she still keep competing.
It is a quality she gets no credit for.

by ti-amie Sabalenka just managed to crawl over the finish line and take the match.

by JTContinental Watch her win it all this year now

by ponchi101
JTContinental wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:05 pm Watch her win it all this year now
I would love that, but I would say: watch her reach the final and set a new record for DF's.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Muguruza looks good. Ready to win the tournament perhaps?
Shhhhh!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:I would like to see tennis announcers fined for saying "shank you very much" when someone hits a mis-hit winner.

ETA: lol I originally didn't put the hyphen in "mis-hit" and it was blanked out as an "expletive."
I’ve done the last part.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:You know, we talk a lot about Sabalenka and her problems with the DF's. But, even when she is unable to get her bloody serve in, she still keep competing.
I give her credit for it. I’m her biggest defender.

by Deuce For those who went to bed and didn't see this... it was bizarrely interesting...
(I'm sure there's a video of it somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.)

Nadal Bloodied and Flat on His Back in Battle With Fognini...

(How's that for a 'click bait' title?) :D

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:43 pm
ponchi101 wrote:You know, we talk a lot about Sabalenka and her problems with the DF's. But, even when she is unable to get her bloody serve in, she still keep competing.

You are. But an army of one is still not enough. ;)
She keeps putting herself through the misery of her serving. Of course, nothing she can do about that, other than getting better at serving 2nd serves, but she does not give up. Slightly David Ferrer'esque.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:12 pm

She keeps putting herself through the misery of her serving. Of course, nothing she can do about that, other than getting better at serving 2nd serves, but she does not give up. Slightly David Ferrer'esque.
Obviously the serving is an issue, yet she's still in the tournament and #10 in the race. Sabalenka, more than many players, is defined by her perceived failures, what she doesn't accomplish. That's typical with the way fans treat WTA players, but it's even worse with her, probably because she has the potential to be a multi-Slam champ and has choked a few times. Most players don't even get themselves into a position to have a high-profile choke.

She may never come through and win a Slam, as most players don't, but she has had a successful career IMO and deserves more respect. She doesn't deserve to be a punching bag.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:31 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:12 pm

Obviously the serving is an issue, yet she's still in the tournament and #10 in the race. Sabalenka, more than many players, is defined by her perceived failures, what she doesn't accomplish. That's typical with the way fans treat WTA players, but it's even worse with her, probably because she has the potential to be a multi-Slam champ and has choked a few times. Most players don't even get themselves into a position to have a high-profile choke.

She may never come through and win a Slam, as most players don't, but she has had a successful career IMO and deserves more respect. She doesn't deserve to be a punching bag.
I define her by the enormous number of times she blows leads and beats herself. And, again, this was happening long before her serving problems that people seem to be focussing on as the root of her problems. The serving problems are simply one symptom of a deeper problem that has nothing to do with her physical ability.

As frustrating as it is for me to see her beat herself so often, it is obviously 10 times more frustrating for her.