Court 17
Day session - From 7:00pm EST

Men's Singles • Round 1
D. Schwartzman 23 vs O. Krutykh Q
Women's Singles • Round 1
L. Davis vs D. Kovinic
Men's Singles • Round 1
J. Isner vs A. Mannarino

Please note: this schedule and format is provisional and is subject to alteration without notice (for example, the starting time may change if extreme heat is forecast or the tournament is behind schedule).

For the night session, Rod Laver Arena and Margaret Court Arena doors will not be opened for patron access before 6:30 pm for 7:00 pm sessions, and 7:00 pm for 7:30 pm sessions, or less than 30 minutes after the conclusion of the day session, whichever is later.

by Deuce A nice little article about Caroline Garcia's Canadian opponent today...

Katherine Sebov Perseveres...

by dave g Do we know who will be replacing Kyrgios yet?

by skatingfan
dave g wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 am Do we know who will be replacing Kyrgios yet?
Looks like Denis Kudla is the lucky loser.

by Deuce A very, very sloppy start by both players in the Leylah - Cornet match. I think Leylah had 9 unforced errors in the first 3 games.
Both have now mostly ironed out the erratic play, which was likely the result of nervousness, and are playing better now.
4 - 4, 1st set...

Giorgi leading 6-0, 3-1 over Pavlyuchenkova.
Welcome back, huh?...

Taylor Townsend 6-1, 4-0 over Diane Parry.
Parry has a beautiful, very athletic game. Lots of positive predictions about her future when she was a Junior. But she has struggled at the WTA level thus far. It's puzzling...

by Owendonovan I love that Taylor Townsend doesn't try to hide who she is with a ridiculous outfit meant to cover her up. She's also schooling Parry right now 6-1, 4-0.

by ti-amie
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:58 am I love that Taylor Townsend doesn't try to hide who she is with a ridiculous outfit meant to cover her up. She's also schooling Parry right now 6-1, 4-0.

by ti-amie Thiem taking a long MTO and frustrating Rublev who has been playing well.

Giorgi barely broke a sweat in the heat taking out Pavs 0 & 1

by martini4me Lots of lopsided scores on the women's side so far today (or tomorrow, actually). Townsend, Giorgi, Alexandrova (61 62 over Bonaventure), Schmiedlova (62 63 over Trevisan), Sabalenka (61 64 over Martincova).

by ti-amie Davidovich Fokina up 5-0 over Bublik first set.

Rublev up 2 sets to love over Thiem who took a long MTO mid second set.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 awesome wins by Giorgi and Alexandrova.. Leylah had a good win too.. Sabalenka was impressive, shrugging off a mini-serving yip ,,

by ti-amie I was glad to see Leylah win the way she did too.

by ti-amie Mugu was a set and a break up. Mertens took the second set 7-6(3)

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:08 am Mugu was a set and a break up. Mertens took the second set 7-6(3)
Mugsy served for the second set. Played a horrendous service game, and a bad second set tiebreaker.

Shocker, I know. :gorgeous:

by nelslus
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:57 am awesome wins by Giorgi and Alexandrova.. Leylah had a good win too.. Sabalenka was impressive, shrugging off a mini-serving yip ,,
Leylah played a solid and smart match, and Cornet just looked tired and off her game- far too many errors and double faults. Couldn't work that Cornet Magic today.

by Deuce Sebov is staying right with Garcia thus far - 3 - 3, 1st set.
Garcia just dumped a first serve into the bottom of the net.
This one looks quite interesting...

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:11 am
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:08 am Mugu was a set and a break up. Mertens took the second set 7-6(3)
Mugsy served for the second set. Played a horrendous service game, and a bad second set tiebreaker.

Thanks. I'm still watching Rublev vs Thiem.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:17 am

Thanks. I'm still watching Rublev vs Thiem.
....You sadist!! ;)

by ti-amie Rublev 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 over Thiem.

I'm sorry nelslus

by ponchi101

Her current M.O. Win the first one with ease, fade in the other two. :cry:

by ti-amie Mugu was just grabbing her calf...

by martini4me She made 20 unforced errors in losing the third set 61.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:35 am Mugu was just grabbing her calf...
Commentators were suggesting a cramp?

Mugsy loses 6-1 in the third. I truly could have lived without Mertens, after every winner or sad little Mugsy error, shrieking and genuflecting like she had just won the damned tournament.

by ponchi101 Garbi out 6-1 in the 3rd.
I have said it before. You can't get in tennis shape by training off court. And you can't get in Slam shape without playing at least a little before the Slam. She has been off too long.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:49 am Garbi out 6-1 in the 3rd.
I have said it before. You can't get in tennis shape by training off court. And you can't get in Slam shape without playing at least a little before the Slam. She has been off too long.
Folks on Tennis Twitter agree with you.

by ti-amie They just closed the roof for the Wang Xiyu vs KaPlis match on MCO arena. I'm not sure why.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:59 am They just closed the roof for the Wang Xiyu vs KaPlis match on MCO arena. I'm not sure why.
Strange

by dave g LiveScores says that the Goffin/Lokoli match is cancelled and that Lokoli is now slated to play Mmoh. So, it looks like Goffin has withdrawn.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie
dave g wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:07 am LiveScores says that the Goffin/Lokoli match is cancelled and that Lokoli is now slated to play Mmoh. So, it looks like Goffin has withdrawn.
:o

by ti-amie All of the matches are showing as suspended except Davidovich Fokina vs Bublik on Court 16, KaPlis vs Wang Xiyu as mentioned, and Murray vs Berrettini on Laver.

by nelslus
dave g wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:07 am LiveScores says that the Goffin/Lokoli match is cancelled and that Lokoli is now slated to play Mmoh. So, it looks like Goffin has withdrawn.
OH, for pity's sakes- guess who was my Pool pick for today?!?! Goffin, you shrink piece of garbage snot. :gorgeous:

Nevertheless- VERY happy that Mmoh finally got a LL spot! :gorgeous:

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 ESPN just showed a small graph for the Matteo/Andy match, in which they showed the "AVERAGE FOREHAND HEAVINESS". Matteo at 7.6, Andy at 6.3.
Anybody knows what that means, or how is it measured?

by martini4me They showed that in the Garcia-Sebov match also, with a wider margin. Never heard of it before that.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:49 am Garbi out 6-1 in the 3rd.
To me she needs to work on endurance training. She has some scintillating first sets (not today), some that are nearly flawless only to make a key mistake in the second set and then fade badly in the 3rd. If her start is that strong, it seems like it's not the tennis shape she's out of, but that she's not up for the grind. I'm not sure she ever could, but she can't count on matches going quickly and according to plan and finishing in under 2 hours.

by Deuce I gave Sebov the kiss of death... She didn't win another game after I posted at 3-3.
There was no difference between her and Garcia up to that point, though.
Sometimes the moment just suddenly hits you - it could have been that she started thinking about playing in a Major on a big court for the first time...

Those silly statistics (like 'average forehand heaviness') are often born from fools trying to find yet another element for people to bet on. And/or they are to show off how 'knowledgeable' people are.
Either way, they are silly, meaningless statistics that are simply fabricated out of nothingness. How about 'average amount of blood rushing to the fingers on a slice serve?' :roll:

by Owendonovan
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:24 am ESPN just showed a small graph for the Matteo/Andy match, in which they showed the "AVERAGE FOREHAND HEAVINESS". Matteo at 7.6, Andy at 6.3.
I believe it's something some commentator latched onto and now the kids think it's a cool, in the know, thing to say.

by ponchi101
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:59 am
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:24 am ESPN just showed a small graph for the Matteo/Andy match, in which they showed the "AVERAGE FOREHAND HEAVINESS". Matteo at 7.6, Andy at 6.3.
I believe it's something some commentator latched onto and now the kids think it's a cool, in the know, thing to say.
So, no equation, ratio, way to figure it out? Because they gave a numeric value.
It is odd.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:16 am

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:02 am
So, no equation, ratio, way to figure it out? Because they gave a numeric value.
It is odd.

I'm watching the (blowout) playoff game, so not sure of what you're seeing. But InfoSys does the stats for Aussie Open, so I'd go with there is a calculation, though not sure what it is. If I see more about it as the tournament goes on, I'll post it. Unfortunately, I'd say Tennis Channel is better with providing additional detail on something like that than ESPN is, like ESPN might just say it, but TC might take the time to explain it a few times if it's a new metric they are mentioning or showing on screen.

by Deuce It's just a silly, 'fancy' way of saying how much topspin players hit with - which anyone who knows tennis can see with their eyes simply by watching.
I don't think anyone needs to know the supposed number of RPMs :roll: .

All players hit the ball hard today - no-one is moonballing... and so the amount of topspin will determine how 'heavy' a shot is.

by texasniteowl
nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:16 am
OH, for pity's sakes- guess who was my Pool pick for today?!?! Goffin, you shrink piece of garbage snot. :gorgeous:
You're not the only one. :ax

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:06 am ...

I'm watching the (blowout) playoff game, so not sure of what you're seeing. But InfoSys does the stats for Aussie Open, so I'd go with there is a calculation, though not sure what it is. If I see more about it as the tournament goes on, I'll post it. Unfortunately, I'd say Tennis Channel is better with providing additional detail on something like that than ESPN is, like ESPN might just say it, but TC might take the time to explain it a few times if it's a new metric they are mentioning or showing on screen.
The L. America ESPN guys did not even talk about it. That is the reason I am more lost than usual.

by ashkor87 Goffin let me down too..

by Deuce You just knew when Murray won the 1st set that this was going to go 5...

by jazzyg Continuing the theme I harped on at last year's Australian Open, Berrettini is money in pressure matches when he has a chance to win. If it's close, he wins unless he is playing an all-time great.

Murray was so close to finishing him off, but Berrettini hit an incredible (somewhat lucky, probably) volley at 7-7 in the fourth-set tiebreak and closed it out 9-7 to take this to a fifth.

by Deuce Berrettini missed a sitter on match point; Murray eventually held.
Now 5-5 in the 5th.

by ponchi101 Obviously, an early candidate for Match of the Year. There will be better, but it has been excellent.

by jazzyg So of course Berrettini misses one of the easiest match point shots I've ever seen to blow the match.

But I agree with ponchi--a very high quality match. Murray was the better player for most of it, but Berrettini's serve was untouchable for most of the final three sets. When the serve faltered in the tiebreak, Murray got the big win he richly deserved.

by Deuce Gutsy win by the 'old man'...
I'm glad it finished with a 4 point difference in the 5th set tiebreak. I think all final set tiebreaks should have to be won with at least a 4 point difference, as that leaves less to chance (although match point in this match was a net cord!).

That match point sitter that Berrettini blew at 5-4 in the 5th, though...

by Deuce Jabeur and Zidansek have split the first 2 sets - Jabeur won the first in a tiebreak, and Zidansek won the second 6-4.
Zidansek has played really well... and Jabeur has been quite inconsistent, with several more unforced errors than usual.
Onto the third...

Meanwhile, some rain came shortly after the Murray - Berrettini match, and all of the matches on courts without roofs have been stopped for about 2 hours now.
First they stopped for a couple of hours because of the heat, and then because of the rain. Rain can be an issue at any outdoor tournament - but the heat is often an issue at the Aussie Open. It's time to start thinking seriously about playing the this tournament at a different time of the year - or in an Australian city with cooler temperatures, if such exists.

by Deuce Zidansek just didn't believe she could win this match, and Jabeur won the 3rd set easily and quickly.
Too bad - it was a really interesting match for 2 sets.

by JTContinental Ben Shelton saved a match point and goes on to win his AO debut match in a 5th set tiebreak.

by Deuce This is rather funny...

Is That a....?

:shock:

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 pm This is rather funny...

Is That a....?

:shock:
It is funny when you realize what he was trying to draw...