by ti-amie Rod Laver Arena
Twilight session - From 11:00pm EST

Women's Doubles • Final
B. Krejcikova 1/K. Siniakova 1 vs S. Aoyama 10/E. Shibahara 10
Twilight session - Not before 3:30am EST
Men's Singles • Final
S. Tsitsipas 3 vs N. Djokovic 4

by ponchi101 Novak in three. 12 games lost.

by Suliso This one needs no poll... More than 12 games I think, though.

by Deuce Krejcikova and Siniakova were just too good once again.
They have gotten into the 'predictable' category... Perhaps not as dominant in their scores as Djokovic, but just as likely to win any tournament they enter as Djokovic is...

by texasniteowl Well, who is still awake? I am for now. Whether I make it all the way through the match, who knows. Depends on how quickly Djokovic wins. I meant to take a nap but...didn't happen.

by skatingfan
texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:15 am Well, who is still awake? I am for now. Whether I make it all the way through the match, who knows. Depends on how quickly Djokovic wins. I meant to take a nap but...didn't happen.
I didn't intend to be awake, but I went to bed early last night, and now I can't get back to sleep. So I'm watching the men's final. Tsitsipas doesn't seem to have any answers early on, which isn't surprising. At this point it's only a surprise when Djokovic misses, and some of the winners have been quite impressive.

by Deuce The more dominant Djokovic is, the more likely it is that people will fall asleep, no matter how tired or awake they feel at the beginning of the match.
So far, it's pretty routine, and following the same all too predictable pattern..

by texasniteowl
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:17 am I didn't intend to be awake, but I went to bed early last night, and now I can't get back to sleep. So I'm watching the men's final. Tsitsipas doesn't seem to have any answers early on, which isn't surprising. At this point it's only a surprise when Djokovic misses, and some of the winners have been quite impressive.
It definitely wasn't a good start for Tsitsipas. Hopefully he can do a bit better in the 2nd. 1st set was pretty boring. Surprised I'm still awake.

by ashkor87
texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:15 am Well, who is still awake? I am for now. Whether I make it all the way through the match, who knows. Depends on how quickly Djokovic wins. I meant to take a nap but...didn't happen.
For some of us, it is the middle of the day! On a Sunday too..the Australian open is great for us.

by texasniteowl
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:56 am For some of us, it is the middle of the day! On a Sunday too..the Australian open is great for us.
lol. Yeah, that is a win for you. Right now, it is 4 in the morning for me!

by ashkor87 Djokovic is expecting Ivanisevic to tell him where Tsitsipas is going to serve..pathetic!

by ashkor87
texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:58 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:56 am For some of us, it is the middle of the day! On a Sunday too..the Australian open is great for us.
lol. Yeah, that is a win for you. Right now, it is 4 in the morning for me!
Yes, it will be reversed at the USO..I never get to watch the finals, they start at 230 am for me.

by skatingfan Djokovic's level has dipped a bit in the 2nd set, and he's certainly gotten a bit agitated by the crowd.

by texasniteowl Well obviously the 2nd was much better than the 1st set but now with Djokovic up 2-0, it's likely pretty well done.

by skatingfan Tsitsipas got the break to start the 3rd - Djokovic left the court and started with a double fault upon return - but gave back the break in the very next game.

by meganfernandez
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:54 am Tsitsipas got the break to start the 3rd - Djokovic left the court and started with a double fault upon return - but gave back the break in the very next game.
Tsitispas has had chances. But only a few.. just no margin for error or nerves today vs Novak.

by Deuce Although 2 of the sets went to tiebreaks, you NEVER got the sense that this match was out of Djokovic's control.
Not even for a minute.

That's what champions do. Sometimes they totally dominate by the score, and sometimes they don't. But they are always in control of the match. It's as if they honestly feel, during every single second of the match, that they are in the driver's seat, and that, no matter what happens, they will retain control and win; that losing is simply not within the realm of possibilities.

by ashkor87 Waiting to see if anyone says Djokovic was robbed last year!

by Deuce The gold '22' on the jacket that Djokovic put on right after the match is arrogant, obnoxious, and ostentatious.
It would be bad enough if he wore it at the next tournament... but to have it designed and ready to wear after this match is just plain egotistical and conceited.

I don't like it when sports teams put on the 'Champions' t-shirts and hats right after the championship winning game - but it's even worse when an individual does it.

by patrick Did people say that about Federer when he got to 15 and wore the jacket after he defeated Roddick at Wimbledon?

by Deuce
patrick wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:32 pm Did people say that about Federer when he got to 15 and wore the jacket after he defeated Roddick at Wimbledon?
^ I did.
It's arrogant, obnoxious, and tasteless no matter who does it.

Others objected to Federer's jacket, as well. Including Wertheim. Here are a couple of articles about it...
In the first article, the author puts the blame on Nike. As much as I despise the Nike company for their many manipulations, as well as their reliance on poor people, poor working conditions, and poor pay, the sponsors in these cases are only partially to blame. The players wearing the gaudy garments are more to blame, as, even if the idea did come from a sponsor, the player could have said 'No'.

Roger Federer and That Jacket...

And Wertheim's take on it below...

Ridiculous Attire Doesn't Fit Federer...

by patrick Indeed on the players saying no

by ptmcmahon
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:56 am
For some of us, it is the middle of the day! On a Sunday too..the Australian open is great for us.
Wimbledon and French Open were always my favorites to watch as they'd start right when my work day was starting for that reason :)

by ptmcmahon
patrick wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:32 pm Did people say that about Federer when he got to 15 and wore the jacket after he defeated Roddick at Wimbledon?
I did too! But I was a bitter Roddick fan so not sure if it counts :)

by ponchi101 Kyrgios approves of the jacket.
Hey, it is Lacoste, and Lacoste is a second tier company. Very fine products and a great history, but they need all the publicity they can.
And, when you have the GOAT signed up for peanuts (compared to what he could command), you have to make the most.
I say: Roger's jacket was ugly, so is this one. Would never buy one.

by the Moz
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:00 pm Waiting to see if anyone says Djokovic was robbed last year!
umm, no.

by Owendonovan I don't know how he was able to pull this off with his devastating injury. Amazing how someone who just last year was paralyzed from the neck down, lost his entire family in the Russian invasion of Ukraine only to have them remarkably reappear at the AO to support the Invasion of Ukraine and miss their only son's highly unlikely run to the final. Just truly amazing a country just 1 square km larger than the Vatican City could produce such an odds beater.

by ponchi101
Owendonovan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:44 pm I don't know how he was able to pull this off with his devastating injury. Amazing how someone who just last year was paralyzed from the neck down, lost his entire family in the Russian invasion of Ukraine only to have them remarkably reappear at the AO to support the Invasion of Ukraine and miss their only son's highly unlikely run to the final. Just truly amazing a country just 1 square km larger than the Vatican City could produce such an odds beater.
And THIS, is the post of the tournament! :clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl:
Nothing more can be said about the AO 2023!

by ti-amie

by jazzyg The thing I will miss most about the end of the Djokovic era, whenever it happens, is the decline in return of serves.

I know I'm in the huge minority here, but his matches are more entertaining to me than anyone else's because he gets so many serves back in play. It's mystifying that after the success Djokovic and Murray had (and Federer with a different style before he got old), the return of serve appears to be an afterthought for the top players, including Alcaraz, where it is his one true weakness.

The only younger player with a world-class return of serve is Zverev. Tsitiipas's inability to get good serves back in play at all or with any depth killed him in the final.

by ponchi101 His game has many, many incredible things. The return you mention, the movement is as smooth as anybody's, the FH is the one you want to teach to any young player. Nobody denies his fantastic game.

by jazzyg I was referring to the posts, probably in a different thread, about how the game would be more exciting in the future because the outcome would not be as predictable.

I like watching incredible tennis and prefer it to competitiveness at a lower level, although I totally understand the other viewpoint. It's also true I rarely watched the early rounds of the Big Three over the past eight years or so because it was a foregone conclusion they would win. That part will be better once Djokovic is gone.

by jazzyg One other thought. Ivanisevic has done a terrific job as Djokovic's coach. His serve in particular has gotten better.

Of all the ex-players, Goran would have been near the bottom of the list of guys I thought could turn out to be good coaches after they retired.

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:51 pm One other thought. Ivanisevic has done a terrific job as Djokovic's coach. His serve in particular has gotten better.

Of all the ex-players, Goran would have been near the bottom of the list of guys I thought could turn out to be good coaches after they retired.
Agree. I would have thought that Goran would have NOT been able to teach anybody how to serve, because he was such a natural. I wondered if he ever thought about his serve.
Turns out (as frequently) I was wrong. Novak has improved in speed, accuracy and patterns. He has achieved total control of the service box. As you say, he has done a very good job.
And I would have never picked him as a coach.

by ashkor87 Funny thing is now people (see tennis.com for instance) are looking forward to a showdown in Paris with Nadal ..they seem to have forgotten a certain Alcaraz....

by ponchi101 And Ruud (he is good on clay). It is also Stefanos favorite surface.
And I want to see Rafa on clay before we can assume he will return to that final.

by JazzNU
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 pm Funny thing is now people (see tennis.com for instance) are looking forward to a showdown in Paris with Nadal ..they seem to have forgotten a certain Alcaraz....
No they haven't. Until there's a retirement leaving only one of them, they will always promote that as the showdown they are looking forward to. If Nadal was injured and Roger was still playing, they'd say they were looking forward to the showdown between Novak and Roger in Paris.

Alcaraz is prepping for the clay court season, they are looking forward to his return and have said as much. But that shouldn't be confused with tennis marketing being thrilled to promote and everything related to the Big 3.

by ashkor87
JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 pm Funny thing is now people (see tennis.com for instance) are looking forward to a showdown in Paris with Nadal ..they seem to have forgotten a certain Alcaraz....
No they haven't. Until there's a retirement leaving only one of them, they will always promote that as the showdown they are looking forward to. If Nadal was injured and Roger was still playing, they'd say they were looking forward to the showdown between Novak and Roger in Paris.

Alcaraz is prepping for the clay court season, they are looking forward to his return and have said as much. But that shouldn't be confused with tennis marketing being thrilled to promote and everything related to the Big 3.
Maybe Alcaraz IS the third member of the Big 3 now! Though it is a bit early, I agree...

by Suliso I have a feeling Nadal has faded already. To be confirmed of course when the clay season starts.

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am I have a feeling Nadal has faded already. To be confirmed of course when the clay season starts.

Sad but true. I'm telling myself that it's because he's been injured.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:59 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am I have a feeling Nadal has faded already. To be confirmed of course when the clay season starts.
Sad but true. I'm telling myself that it's because he's been injured.
Yes - but he's injured because of wear and tear and age.
And those elements are only going to continue going in the current direction.

Apparently, it happens to everyone. :)