With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

An early look at Wimbledon

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ashkor87 India

Re: An early look at Wimbledon

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:26 am I don't think Jabeur is over her injury.
Didn't she win Charleston After? Or is it a subsequent injury?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:31 am Didn't she win Charleston After? Or is it a subsequent injury?
I think she won in Charleston in spite of the injury. She's clearly dealing with something, but can't seem to decide whether she should rest or play thru it.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Apparently her brother is getting married around now, so presumably she is otherwise engaged..after the French, she said she is playing Berlin and Eastbourne..she did play berlin
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:23 am Am a bit puzzled by Jabeur..is she not recovered from that injury? She seemed well enough at Charleston..
Sinner seems to be injured now..hope it is not serious..he has a nonzero chance of winning the whole thing...most players don't..
Jabeur might not be over that terrible loss to BHM at the French. :) I still think she'll do well at Wimbledon and maybe win it.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:01 pm I'll buck the trend and go with Carlitos 75% depending on his draw.
Fritz could go deep but making the final/winning 25%
Sinner 10%

As for the women I'll take the field 80%
I'll take the field over Iga, too.

Can't wait to see how Muchova follows up RG. Jabeur will be tough again. BHM loves the grass. Kvitova might be in the mix. I expect Sabalenka to make a deep run - I know you were concerned by how she lost to Muchova, but Sabalenka tends to bounce back after adversity. So yeah, field it is for me.

Novak 97%. Can't see anyone touching him with his current level of motivation and fitness.

No one thinks Kyrgios repeats?

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:54 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:48 pm Main reason I am discounting Saba a bit is she didn't appear to have the 'champion' mentality against Muchova...I thought she had it at the AO but seemed to have lost it again
Wait. ONE MATCH, and we are sending her back again to the "she is mentally fragile" department? She won the Aussie and Madrid, reached finals at Stuttgart and IW, and made the semis at the French, plus she is leading the race by a good 500 points.
Isn't that a bit too much of "What have you done lately for me?"
Yes, too harsh. Sabalenka will probably never live down here earlier reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins W.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:09 pm ...

Can't wait to see how Muchova follows up RG. Jabeur will be tough again. BHM loves the grass. Kvitova might be in the mix. I expect Sabalenka to make a deep run - I know you were concerned by how she lost to Muchova, but Sabalenka tends to bounce back after adversity. So yeah, field it is for me.

Novak 97%. Can't see anyone touching him with his current level of motivation and fitness.

I am very surprised that Muchova is not playing in any warm ups; she must obviously be training but no real time on grass.... I don't know.

I don't even think Kyrgios will play. His statements as of late seem to indicate that he is going through a lot.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:35 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:09 pm ...

I am very surprised that Muchova is not playing in any warm ups; she must obviously be training but no real time on grass.... I don't know.

I don't even think Kyrgios will play. His statements as of late seem to indicate that he is going through a lot.
He played a warm-up, though. Netfilx might require him to play to be in the next season of Break Point. All the stuff he's saying now is promo for Break Point, I think.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If all he is saying is just promotion:
If it is true, and it is for promotion, I can't see how such a dark tale can promote the sport (or even himself).
If it is a lie, that would be very low.

I don't know. Tales about cutting yourself are very grim.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Boodles Exhibition will take place 6/27 - 7/1 at Stoke Park

Stefanos Tsitsipas, Holger Rune, Hubert Hurkacz, Sebastian Korda, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Rublev, Borna Coric and Musetti confirmed at The Boodles 2023
The Boodles Class of 2023....
Tsitsipas, Holger, Hurkacz, Korda, Auger-Aliassime, Rublev, Coric & Musetti to appear at The Boodles 2023

The British summer is upon us and it can only mean one thing - the grass court season is in full bloom!

We are very pleased to introduce to you some of the tennis greats that will be appearing at Stoke Park for The Boodles. Stefanos and Sebastian have done amazing things on the tour these last 12 months and more world class players will be announced in the lead up.

https://www.theboodles.com/players/2023-players.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I had pointed this out earlier...among women, ar least, one thing common to all Wimbledon champions is- they had either won a major already or won a major subsequently...the last one-time champion was Bartoli. It takes class to win Wimbledon..only a Tier1 player can do it..so history does not offer much hope to Ms. other! Of course, Rybakina did surprise a lot of people last year, but they should not have been..Rybakina's class was evident much earlier. And, of course, we can certainly expect her to win some major or the other, again

The men..well, it has been all Big 4 anyway.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Revised probabilities-
Men
Djokovic 65%
Alcaraz 30%
The field 5%

Women

Rybakina 45%
Kvitova 25%
Sabakenka 10%
Muchova 10%
Jabeur 5%
swiatek 4%
Field 1%

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:18 pm If all he is saying is just promotion:
If it is true, and it is for promotion, I can't see how such a dark tale can promote the sport (or even himself).

It's true, but it was a few years ago, right? I think he said 2019 when he was cutting, doing drugs, and went to rehab in London. The reason he's talking about it now is because he talks about it in the new Break Point episodes. I don't think it means he's in that state now. He might be, but that wasn't my understanding.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:51 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:18 pm If all he is saying is just promotion:

It's true, but it was a few years ago, right? I think he said 2019 when he was cutting, doing drugs, and went to rehab in London. The reason he's talking about it now is because he talks about it in the new Break Point episodes. I don't think it means he's in that state now. He might be, but that wasn't my understanding.
Ok, I thought it was the other way around. I felt that he is currently going through some stuff.
Hope he has recovered, and that you are correct.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:50 am Revised probabilities-
Men
Djokovic 65%
Alcaraz 30%
The field 5%

Women

Rybakina 45%