With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '23 USO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:58 pm ...

I don't care who you are playing. Absolutely, Ostapenko was playing great tennis. But, if no strategies could ever work, then Ostapenko would win every match. There are always strategy options. I mean- try to find ways to extend the rallies and see if Ostapenko would start coughing up errors (which we've all seen plenty of times), come to the net more, slicing, serving and volleying, moving Ostapenko as much as you can....Certainly, "make an effort" and "stop looking like a deer caught in the headlights" would have been worth trying for Iga.

AND- hey, forget the youngsters- get a taste of the life for most 60-somethings. :gorgeous:
You just described ALL the things Iga can't do. Not WON'T, CAN'T do. She is like Martina Navratilova through the looking glass.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:02 pm

I don't care who you are playing. Absolutely, Ostapenko was playing great tennis. But, if no strategies could ever work, then Ostapenko would win every match. There are always strategy options. I mean- try to find ways to extend the rallies and see if Ostapenko would start coughing up errors (which we've all seen plenty of times), come to the net more, slicing, serving and volleying, moving Ostapenko as much as you can....Certainly, "make an effort" and "stop looking like a deer caught in the headlights" would have been worth trying for Iga.

AND- hey, forget the youngsters- get a taste of the life for most 60-somethings. :gorgeous:
You just described ALL the things Iga can't do. Not WON'T, CAN'T do. She is like Martina Navratilova through the looking glass.
Room for Iga to improve her game, then.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:02 pm

She's #1. At least try something. I do love the Navratilova in the looking glass comparison.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Iga is too used to being allowed to do whatever she wants during a match. I've said it before: many of the WTA players play a similar style and it doesn't involve taking Iga out of her comfort zone. Ostapenko doesn't care who you are or what your rank is she is going to come out there and jack up your day.

Ironically a lot of what nelslus said about disrupting Penko's game can be said about Iga. Move her around, don't let her get into her preferred rhythm, slow things down, make it clear you will hit her if necessary. Guaranteed Iga, and Penko, will wilt.

This is why on court coaching has destroyed the sport, in my opinion. None of the 507 could do anything because they're so used to not having to do anything. A #1 with the winning streak she had, should be able to mentally adjust and at least try something different even if it doesn't end up working.

I still say Sabalenka will melt down
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:22 pm This is why on court coaching has destroyed the sport, in my opinion. None of the 507 could do anything because they're so used to not having to do anything. A #1 with the winning streak she had, should be able to mentally adjust and at least try something different even if it doesn't end up working.
Coaching has only been around for a year, legal coaching at least, and the first 3 Ostapenko losses were 2019, 2020, and early 2022. Swiatek's issue is that she doesn't have a plan B not because she can't think of a plan B.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:42 am
ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:22 pm This is why on court coaching has destroyed the sport, in my opinion. None of the 507 could do anything because they're so used to not having to do anything. A #1 with the winning streak she had, should be able to mentally adjust and at least try something different even if it doesn't end up working.
Coaching has only been around for a year, legal coaching at least, and the first 3 Ostapenko losses were 2019, 2020, and early 2022. Swiatek's issue is that she doesn't have a plan B not because she can't think of a plan B.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein