'22 RG Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 RG Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:48 pm
Yeah, not surprised by this. Bottom half is a Grand Canyon now. So much opportunity to be a French Open runner-up. Could be a surprise finalist (Maria Camila Ocosio Serrano) or maybe Kerber. I know, I'm looking right past Sakkari.
Why are you? She's not THAT incapable.
She has just never been on my radar very much. She has only 1 title. I don’t see her as a big-match player, and her size probably influences me a bit. Lacks a weapon. But she has reached a couple Slam semis, so she probably deserves a little more credit than I am giving her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Just watching some of the Raducanu match on my phone. T Noskova is a sensation! Can see why she won the junior tournament here, that backhand is dynamite
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Why this game is insane.
Kecmanovic and Etcheverry played a 20 minutes long game, Etcheverry serving. Kecmanovic had at least 6 break points. Did not convert. Then Etcheverry broke him at 30, in like 2 minutes. Only one BP. Now serving for the set.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:07 pm Just watching some of the Raducanu match on my phone. T Noskova is a sensation! Can see why she won the junior tournament here, that backhand is dynamite
yeah, that backhand is world-class and Raducanu is hitting to it way too much. I think Noskova would beat a lot of seeds today. Honestly, Raducanu is doing well to stay as close as she is. Noskova looks ready to win matches now. I've seen enough from Raducanu today to think this won't be a bad loss if she does lose (and she's still very much in it). I like how she competes.

At 3-3 in the second, Noskova broke at love with 4 winners, I think. Raducanu isn't keeping the ball deep enough to bother her, and Noskova is jumping on balls like she's Swiatek... but she's as smooth as butter. Clearly playing without any pressure. Fully expect her to close this match. (Oops, Raducanu broke back.)
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon May 23, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:14 pm Why this game is insane.
Kecmanovic and Etcheverry played a 20 minutes long game, Etcheverry serving. Kecmanovic had at least 6 break points. Did not convert. Then Etcheverry broke him at 30, in like 2 minutes. Only one BP. Now serving for the set.
Momentum... it will probably swing back. Kecmanovic has the experience to know this and stay the course, I hope. Needs to tell himself that at least he's getting a ton of break chances. I think momentum swings are one of the hardest things to manage, at least at my level.

Post by meganfernandez »

Incredible comeback from Raducanu in the 2nd set after losing serve at love at 3-3. No matter who wins this match, that set was worth showing up at RG. (I thought she might rest her back for the grass.) Insane FH down the the line on Noskova's game point at 5-6 (after Raducanu had 3 set points, not consecutively). Then a drop shot to seal the set. She is finding more depth on her shots and going to the BH at smarter times, like that FH down the line.

Great match from both of these teenagers. Raducanu haters can take a seat until the next tournament.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Anybody hates Raducanu? :?
I am, of course, forced to watch two matches in courts 97 and 143, between Gombos/Cachin and Kecmanovic/Etcheverry, because ESPN will NOT show a women's match unless it is the semis and a latin american player is playing.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:01 pm Anybody hates Raducanu? :?
I am, of course, forced to watch two matches in courts 97 and 143, between Gombos/Cachin and Kecmanovic/Etcheverry, because ESPN will NOT show a women's match unless it is the semis and a latin american player is playing.
Haters. Raducanu haters.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That was my question. Does anybody actually hate Raducanu? I mean, I gather she has her fans, but she is not a player that I would guess would lead to those emotions.
I gather since I am not in social media, I would not know.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

The bottom half is indeed wide open, and I never say never, but Coco Gauff double faulted five times in one game yesterday. Combine her second-serve yips with her forehand inconsistency, and it's hard to imagine how she could get to the final.

Suliso likes Kenin's game and doesn't like Krejcikova's. I like Krejcikova's game and don't like Kenin's. Maybe neither of them will ever be in the top 10 again, but the odds are both will be back there. Krejcikova did a whole lot of winning AFTER Roland Garros last year.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm The bottom half is indeed wide open, and I never say never, but Coco Gauff double faulted five times in one game yesterday. Combine her second-serve yips with her forehand inconsistency, and it's hard to imagine how she could get to the final.

Suliso likes Kenin's game and doesn't like Krejcikova's. I like Krejcikova's game and don't like Kenin's. Maybe neither of them will ever be in the top 10 again, but the odds are both will be back there. Krejcikova did a whole lot of winning AFTER Roland Garros last year.
Agree. I wouldn't bury either of them. People tend to do that very quickly. Most careers have some ups and downs. I think both of them have a better-than-50% chance of returning to the top 10 at some point. Whether they stay there, who knows.

Also agree that Coco is not on the short list to make the final, even though I named her (and about everyone else) in an earlier post about those who can take advantage of the opportunity in the bottom half.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon May 23, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:11 pm That was my question. Does anybody actually hate Raducanu? I mean, I gather she has her fans, but she is not a player that I would guess would lead to those emotions.
There are lots of heavy criticizers ready to pounce and call her overrated every time she loses a match. Maybe not a lot here, I don't know, but some.

Post by meganfernandez »

Raducanu ran away with it. What a win. On the brink of losing to someone younger, a new teen queen, she digs in and guts it out. Great playing from both. Looking forward to more matches between these two.

Clicked over to Kerber, down a break in the third... she looks gassed. Barely moving, moonballing....
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:11 pm That was my question. Does anybody actually hate Raducanu? I mean, I gather she has her fans, but she is not a player that I would guess would lead to those emotions.
I have to avoid the BBC forums when Emma is playing, there are more haters than fans on there most times. Obviously in the general population she is liked by most people who know who she is, but her lack of success after the US Open made it open season for the usual online trolls
Mary, queen of shots
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Catching up on the days action. Krejcikova performed just about how I thought she would.